calling out all home-bread makers!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: calling out all home-bread makers!

Postby MKSwing » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:09 pm

We bought a square machine a few years ago and used it intensively for some time. The result was quite good but we now found a baker in the countryside near our home and her bread is fantastic. But the great thing is that machine is capable of making jam, so we will find soon another use when the berries will be ready in the garden :)
All in all, due to the high price of good bread in Paris and the amount of salt they put in it, the machine has been very appreciated around here...
The must is then to buy your own corn, grind it, filter it and make the bread :)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: calling out all home-bread maker

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Mate, you should see how much a croissant costs in London from a Paul "bakery" shop!
What people in the UK don't realise is that Paul in France is considered little more than a slightly more upmarket Greggs!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby zapty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:37 pm

I love baking bread, here's my last batch of sourdough type breads, all baked on a stone....
Attachments
IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0621.jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby MKSwing » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:03 pm

zapty wrote:I love baking bread, here's my last batch of sourdough type breads, all baked on a stone....

Yummy ! They look gorgeous !
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:08 pm

zapty wrote:I love baking bread, here's my last batch of sourdough type breads, all baked on a stone....

I bought a couple of linen-lined whicker proving baskets on fleabay, for a good price. I tried a couple of sourdough recipes from Richard Bertinet book 'Crust' but they were way too sour for my caffein pampered taste buds. Will keep searching 8)
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby dsc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for all the suggestions. This weekend I will try to visit a local stone store and see if I can pick something up there. The main problem with buying flat stones is that it's usually protected by some nasty chemicals to make it water repellent.

Zapty what kind of stone do you use?

Berty: funny thing because I saw that book title mentioned on coffeed and I thought I would give it a try:)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:33 pm

dsc wrote:Berty: funny thing because I saw that book title mentioned on coffeed and I thought I would give it a try:)

Regards,
dsc.

Yes I was drawn to the pan-baked Naan bread. I went to alt.bread.recipes to get some pointers on making ghee from butter. My first attempt at naan today, wasn't brilliant. I should have rolled the dough much thinner etc. They suggested an oven-baked version by Madhur Jaffrey which sounds great. You make up say a kilo of dough, pop it into the fridge. When you need some bread, remove say 100g, roll it flat and oven bake for just 5 minutes - fresh bread every time!! Nice pics with recipe too :-
http://www.artisanbreadbaking.com/breads/naan/naan.htm

Bertie
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby zapty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:07 am

dsc wrote:Hi guys,

thanks a lot for all the suggestions. This weekend I will try to visit a local stone store and see if I can pick something up there. The main problem with buying flat stones is that it's usually protected by some nasty chemicals to make it water repellent.

Zapty what kind of stone do you use?

Berty: funny thing because I saw that book title mentioned on coffeed and I thought I would give it a try:)

Regards,
dsc.

I use a chamotte brick stone plate, the type they use in ovens to bake ceramics and pottery etc.....
It can take all the heat I can throw at it and then some.... cheap too.
Check around at pottery oven supply stores or such and you may be lucky.... you have them in bricks and plates at any size cuttable...
By the way, in Holland they import them from Poland.... check for refractory brick or fireproof stone....
Attachments
cham.jpg
cham.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby zapty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:19 am

Bertie_Doe wrote:

I bought a couple of linen-lined whicker proving baskets on fleabay, for a good price. I tried a couple of sourdough recipes from Richard Bertinet book 'Crust' but they were way too sour for my caffein pampered taste buds. Will keep searching 8)

I use the French style wicker (cloth covered) and German style woodpulp baskets to let my breads rise.
Try some of the recipes here: http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2008/04/no ... ain-a.html
or here: http://www.sourdoughhome.com/index.html
or a German site: http://www.der-sauerteig.com/phpBB2/portal.php

All good sites, by the way, real sourdough bread is not really that sour, it just depends on your starter and the amount of starter you use in your recipes....

Here is this weeks batch of sourdough breads.....
Attachments
IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG (41.09 KiB) Viewed 7404 times
zapty

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu May 07, 2009 10:38 pm

zapty wrote:
Bertie_Doe wrote:

All good sites, by the way, real sourdough bread is not really that sour, it just depends on your starter and the amount of starter you use in your recipes....

Here is this weeks batch of sourdough breads.....

They look realy good. Should I use more starter or less starter to reduce the sourness. I have heard that an American influenced recipe, is likely to be more sour than a French style recipe?
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby zapty » Fri May 08, 2009 5:44 am

It may sound strange but more starter is supposed to reduce the sourness.
French starter is indeed less sour than US style sourdough.....
Do some experimenting. French starter is known as Levain.....
zapty

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri May 08, 2009 10:05 am

zapty wrote:It may sound strange but more starter is supposed to reduce the sourness.
French starter is indeed less sour than US style sourdough.....
Do some experimenting. French starter is known as Levain.....

Thanks Zapty, I'll give the sourdough one more try. You are right, the French baker/teacher Richard Bertinet uses very large starters in his recipes. Maybe a large starter is quicker and therefore the 'fermentation' time is shorter.
Ok I've made up a 725g starter at 80% hydration. Once it gets going, I'll feed it with another 725g etc. It has to be an improvement on my last attempt, in addition to the sourness, it also expanded like a baloon, then collapsed like a parachute during the bake. :oops: This time I won't use the fridge to slow things down. Our ancestors would think we are mad in discarding super-fast, one-rise, dried breadmaker yeasts, in favour of soudoughs. :?
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby dsc » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi guys,

so I got a stone from a friend who works in a place where they make pizza ovens:

Thick and holds heat every well. So as I've got everything I need I decided to try and bake my first bread which turned out to be quite interesting mostly because I couldn't even shape a loaf. Here's the best I could do, basically a flat piece of crap:

It's in the oven now and who knows what it will end up as.

I was using a basic US recipe from that book I mentioned earlier:

- 1.5 cups of lukewarm water

- 0.75 tablespoon of granulated yeast

- 0.75 tablespoon of salt

- 3.25 cups of flour

I wasn't really sure about the amounts of the yeast and salt, I mean how the hell do you measure out 0.75 tablespoon? I've searched online and apparently a tablespoon is 15ml which is utter bullshit as a tablespoon of water only holds around 6ml. I guess I messed up the ratio as the dough was very sticky and wouldn't hold a shape at all and it didn't really rise too much (around 20% perhaps). Next time I will add more flour but I'm still not sure how much yeast and salt to add.

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby bruceb » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:02 pm

Tom,
Here's the basic recipe I use for making white bread. The important part is kneading the dough until it is really elastic and resilient. Use strong bread flour for best results.

1000g bread flour
• 625ml warm water
• 30g/1oz fresh yeast or 3 x 7g sachets dried yeast
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 level tablespoon salt

It is quite normal that the bread spreads out. It will prove in the oven to some extent. Try making a long rather than a round loaf.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dsc » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Hi Bruce,

thanks for the recipe!

I definitely used too little yeast as this is how the bread looks like straight from the oven:

Overall not too bad, the crust is lovely:

The inside a bit gummy, but quite wet and even tasty:

I think the reason I used too little yeast was because I have rather flat tablespoons. I will to buy an actually measurement spoon and do another loaf. I guess I'm hooked.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic