Anybody else into electronic music production?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Anybody else into electronic music production?

Postby kingseven » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:09 pm

I was a mixture of real instruments, sampling and some sound generation. I miss making music - I just don't have as much time these days and, despite releasing a few things, I figured I'd never make any money from it.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby ianboughton » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:35 am

I use a Roland VS840, which I got ten years ago, and was bought secondhand at that... but as a four-track digital machine (with four other stereo tracks) it is still the absolute bestest in hi-tech as far as I'm concerned, because I'll never ever learn all the things you can do with it. But it was good enough for several CDs for charity.

What is bizarre about it is the output - you save, believe it or not, on to Zip disks. A 100Mb Zip disk contains 49 minutes of sound on one track, or divide that by the number of tracks you've saved - so eight tracks might have six minutes' worth on each. It can be a fraction frustrating if you've got eight full tracks, have left yourself no room to mix down further, and are halfway through the final solo... and a sign flashes up saying you've no more time.

There's an interesting magazine for all this, called Sound on Sound. That's way beyond me, too.

-IanB
ianboughton

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am

I could imagine that a sign flashing telling someone to finish a solo now or else could be useful in certain situations! :lol:
Actually, I've probably got some old dictaphone tapes somewhere with a few hundred stored voices and performances for a few of my old yamaha rack synths. Was easier (and much cheaper) than using a Yamaha midi filer (MDF2) and it's max storage of 600kb!!!

Sound on Sound used to be really good... not read it in ages though. Still a wealth of information online for some of their old reviews.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby ianboughton » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:33 pm

It's the hook coming out from the side of the stage....
ianboughton

Previous

Return to Off Topic