Article: Rarest coffee in the world

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Article: Rarest coffee in the world

Postby Sico2 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:17 pm

The title might be a bit exaggerated , but what are your opinions on that (apart from the £50 per cup...)

Cooper’s very own
David Cooper has caused a bit of a media sensation by creating the world’s rarest and most premium coffee - at £50 per cup.

David joined forces with espresso machine manufacturer, De’Longhi to create Caffé Raro, the world’s most exclusive coffee. The blend was launched amid much press attention on Wednesday at Peter Jones, the landmark Chelsea department store on Sloane Square.

Combining two of the world’s rarest coffee beans, Kopi Luwak and Jamaican Blue Mountain, Caffé Raro will be on sale in Peter Jones, and through the De’Longhi website throughout April, with limited availability.

“Caffé Raro is an extremely exciting coffee and a first for the UK – if not the world! These two incredibly rare coffees have never been blended before and the result is a very rich and full tasting espresso. These coffees have been slowly hand roasted for around 12 minutes to ensure that we maximise the potential of each coffee. The final roast colour is quite dark to ensure that the espresso is perfect for a smooth latte or cappuccino,” said David.

Sico2

Postby Eschatologist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Hmm, fairly old news, though I don't remember a post about it. Anyway, rare != good. There's tons of suspect JBM around (though I fondly remember one I had 4 years ago, when a friend brought a bag back from her holiday), and both times I've had Kopi Luwak my initial reaction has been 'meh'. One of those things I just assumed that would taste better if you were drinking it in its native environment, rather than through a Melitta.

Anyway, rarity is a subjective term. I reckon that Quebradon Julio Gomez microlot I had 2 kilos of the other week could be termed rarer than either of those two :)
Eschatologist

RE: Article: Rarest coffee in the world

Postby Gadders » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:17 pm

What a load of b**locks. Whats the point in blending two coffees together just for the sake of having something ultra expensive. Coffee should be blended to taste not just to be the first or to brag about the price tag.

Of course if they blend well then fair do's but imo the motives are totally wrong.

That said, wierdly the best espresso i've ever had was my home roast of a sample of JBM that was kindly being given out at the last HB open day. Stunning!
Gadders

RE: Article: Rarest coffee in the world

Postby kingseven » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:44 pm

It came up a while back, it is a fairly silly story. I still kind of wish they'd done the gold flakes instead....
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Return to Off Topic