name our business and win coffee!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

name our business and win coffee!

Postby Raf » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Ok, so the name "ALLOY" (see other post) was registered as a trademark and we couldn't get it.

We're looking for another name, and we were hoping you guys could help with it. We're looking for a good name for a PR company, with following caveats applying:

1. has to feel international but be easy to pronounce (test would be: would a non-english speaking person be able to spell it by just hearing it on the phone)

2. NO PUNS/no "funny" name

3. has to sound more 'corporate' than 'creative'

Some names that we had in mind but didn't work for some reason:

Alloy (first choice, trademark issues)
Pelham (remake of "the taking of Pelham 123" coming out in June)
Mellon
Lydian
Auden (sounds too old, hard to pronounce)
Pure
Angle

Notice that they are all quite "empty" in meaning, and that's the way we like it. Whoever supplies us with the winning name, gets a gift voucher for 50 € from Hasbean! Run, ponies, run!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

RE: name our business and win coffee!

Postby triptogenetica » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Oh, first entry!

Very much not empty in meaning, but could superficially seem so:

Asura.

(It is Hindi. Part of the Vedic tradition. Corporate, in that they were "power-seeking deities" - Wikipedia. More recently, Iain M Banks has also used the word, for something more like an emissary. And you could spell it however you like, since it's not originally in the Roman alphabet). (As a plus, it starts with an A. Which is always good).
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby Raf » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:41 pm

That's a strong entry right out of the gates, I think.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:48 am

What, no one? When I said: strong enty I didn't mean, "don't bother competing anymore!" ;)

Raf
Founder Member

Postby GMRK » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:49 am

FIR (For Immediate Release)

It's a common trend for longer initial names of companies or products to go through different phases of deliberate or semi-deliberate reduction until the short version ends up as common useage.

Small combinations of characters have the potential for striking corporate ID design and abstract implementation beyond the usual stationery, business cards etc. esp. when linked with a well thought out and implemented corporate colour scheme.

It also carries a connotation of trees, and everyone knows trees are trustworthy esp. an upstanding fir(!?).
GMRK

Postby GMRK » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:51 am

Or, maybe try Google first...

http://www.firpr.com/

Hmm.
GMRK

Postby Raf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:06 am

another very good one, thanks GMRK. We are currently somewhat on the same train of thought as you:

"Small combinations of characters have the potential for striking corporate ID design and abstract implementation beyond the usual stationery, business cards etc. esp. when linked with a well thought out and implemented corporate colour scheme."

Raf
Founder Member

Postby GMRK » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:17 am

Shame someone else had been on that very train of thought long before me:)

When you do you finalise a name this site is a great Corporate ID resource with news/discussion and downloadable identity implementation manuals:

http://www.cidoc.net/
GMRK

Postby GreenBean » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Considering Alloy was your first choice but is not available how about Ally?

It seems to satisfy all your criteria and have positive connotations. I would not want to employ a PR company that was not an Ally! :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby SlowRain » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:28 am

Core

(Kam was my first choice, but there is a Kam.co.uk). Am I disqualified for entering two?
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby espressomattic » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:54 am

Mana
espressomattic

Postby Raf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:42 pm

No, multiple entries are good, Slowrain.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Jaanus » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Aken
Klassi
Pane
Muna
Hakka
Piiri
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby muckychimney » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Chrome
Croma
Zed
BoW ( Black or White ) written B in white o in silver White in black ?
PaR
muckychimney

Postby Raf » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:05 am

what does PaR stand for, mucky?

Raf
Founder Member

Next

Return to Off Topic