iTunes, the biggest piece of sh*t ever

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

iTunes, the biggest piece of sh*t ever

Postby dsc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi everyone,

so I got an Iphone and thought I would upload some music to it simply to have something to listen to on the plane. It took me an hour and a lot of nerves to download 15 songs. Why the hell did someone create such thing as iTunes, can't it all be drag-n-drop?

All you iPhone/iPod users out there, is there a way around it?

Seriously I don't need this crap to delete all my music on my device only because I pressed Sync and I want to add 3 songs.

As Bruce says 'Rant over'.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: iTunes, the biggest piece of sh*t ever

Postby leecb » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:10 pm

Ha! That will teach you for having 'owt to do with Apple!!!
It causes all sorts of shrieks of rage in this house on a regular basis. :roll: :lol:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Eschatologist » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Let's not forget that not so long ago, Apple's idea of a massive leap forward in user-friendly design was a second mouse button :roll:
Eschatologist

Postby Gadders » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:03 am

Oi! Stop knocking Apple, there's way way way more "drag and drop" convenience stuff in OS X than on windows, ive found my macbook to work flawlessly compared to my old PC running windows.

Stuff just works on a Mac first time, no nonsense, no fiddling.

So hmph. :)
Gadders

re

Postby dsc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:03 am

Hi everyone,

I'm not knocking OS X, I'm knocking the way the crappy iTunes software works. After spending 15min deleting stuff from my iPhone trying to add a few new songs I've searched online for tutorials on easy music downloads to the device. The first one I found started with 'Well it's a bit tricky, but once you get used to it...'. If a description of a process as easy as a music download starts with 'It's a bit tricky' it means it doesn't work. It should be intuitive, it's just a simple download, not building a rocket. And it doesn't end here, if you go into each tab like Applications, Photos and others and untick the box that says Sync it tells you that it will delete all the stuff you have in your iPhone. Who the hell came up with this idea?

I've got a small iRiver mp3 you simply plug it in, the system detects is as a removable device and you copy whatever you want to it. No fuss, no problems and it takes a few minutes. Sure you can use iRiver's software which is a bit similar to iTunes, but you also have a choice not to. It looks like with Apple it's either their way or no way at all (you can't even activate the phone without iTunes).

As a side note I like the device, but the PC software is awful.

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: re

Postby leecb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:07 am

What I really hate is the fact that if iTunes detects music on your system from other sources than iTunes it will delete all your music as you are obviously pirating!
This is completely outrageous and absolutely typical of the Apple attitude towards customer choice! eg you don't have the right to any! :evil:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby GreenBean » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:08 am

This makes me so happy that I have never been tempted to buy an iPhone. 8)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby dsc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 am

Hi guys,

Seriously it deletes stuff from you hardisk? does it ask you before it does that? it is utterly stupid and simply not right. Isn't that like a violation of some law?

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Gadders » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Erm im almost certain it doesn't delete songs from the hard drive - otherwise almost all my music collection would vanish.

From my experience, if you buy from the iTunes store, the file downloads to the music tab, where you should just be able to drag and drop the selected tracks to the device tab. Thats the way I've always done it!
Gadders

Postby motoman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:19 pm

Makes you wonder what bits dsc left at home.

Why buy music? I can hold and replay any tune or song I like in my head.

Mind you, with the holes in my head I can store a three piece suite and a vintage roller.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: RE: re

Postby Joris » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 am

leecb wrote:What I really hate is the fact that if iTunes detects music on your system from other sources than iTunes it will delete all your music as you are obviously pirating!
This is completely outrageous and absolutely typical of the Apple attitude towards customer choice! eg you don't have the right to any! :evil:

Mmmm... been using iTunes for over 2 years now and never lost a song ... not even a pirated one. It does however move the songs to a folder in the itunes folder in your "my music" folder if you let iTunes manage your library.

I love the way you can search through the library as well. Getting album-art and tags is a breeze too.

The sync is initially one-way (when connecting a device for the first time) which is indeed a shame, you should have a choice between combine, replace on pc and replace on iPhone.

Imho if you manually manage your syncs and library iTunes is great, if you let itunes manage them you lose control and in the end won't know where your files went ;)

The device iPhone itself is really user-friendly and has the best user interface I ever experienced on a smartphone/pda.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

RE: Re: RE: re

Postby bragur » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:01 am

Huh? Difficult? :)

Just make a playlist which you have the iPhone sync with and sync away. Easy peasy. Everything that stays in the playlist syncs and all that you delete from the playlist (nb. from the playlist, not from your hard drive) will get sucked out.

iTunes does not delete songs unless you ask it to. However you can't listen to a song bought through iTunes if you don't have the user password for it.
Gaggia Classic PID'd, La Pavoni Pro, Mahlkönig Vario Home
bragur

Postby dsc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 am

Hi guys,

I seriously can't believe how stupid this app is. Today I plugged my girlfriends Iphone to download some music to it, prepared it will probably take a while before I figure out how this stupid thing works again. Before I did anything Itunes started syncing the Iphone and deleted half of the apps from the Iphone without even asking. The only thing I saw was the info bar that was saying 'Deleting application...'.

Why can't it all be drag'n'drop? I mean come on, why the hell come up with something that deletes stuff from the device because it feels like it? And no the apps are not anywhere in the folders in Itunes, so I can't really bring them back (I have to download them again).

Annoying piece of cr*p.

dsc.

dsc

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Funny that this should pop up again now. As I've been thinking about going rockbox on my ipod. Mainly so that I can use other unsupported codecs (though it is going to take a _long_ time to re-rip all my cd's). I've never liked Itunes though, it's a resource hog that tries to take over your devices and media collections (in my experience). I avoid it like the plague.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

re

Postby dsc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Dom,

true, it uses loads of memory and runs like 10 processes in the background. I ran HijackThis to remove them but of course it wouldn't ran so I had to start them up again. Oh and the latest version is like 200MB or so.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Next

Return to Off Topic