The 2009 WBC Bar in Atlanta

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The 2009 WBC Bar in Atlanta

Postby FlyingThud » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:24 am

On the 16th of April, the 10th World Barista Championship will take place in Atlanta Georgia. With 58 champion baristas from around the world coming to compete, along with their coaches and supporters, this will truly be the premier and largest barista competition we’ve seen to date.

The competition will be held in conjunction with the Speciality Coffee Association’s annual Exposition but will itself be open to the public. As a result, we are anticipating large crowds of attendees, keen to learn more about the barista craft and see the world’s best at work.
[img][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/3385666159_a36b315f56.jpg[/img]
We have designed a considerably larger WBC bar this year with a goal of engaging the customers through the eyes of the judges with only the drinks served in competition. The score sheet elements will be projected in the background so that the drinker can see phrases like "Color of Crema", "Taste Balance", etc.... rolling in the background as they sip on their beverage and the barista educates them on how to access it.

One bar will serve espresso.

One bar will serve cappuccino.

One bar will serve signature drinks.

The coffee will change each day and there will be no disposable cups. Instead, FAC have kindly created special espresso and cappuccino cups for the bar. A custom built bar for the event will be equipped with gear from Espresso Parts, three group Adonis machines from Victoria Arduino and Mahlkoenig Grinders.

In addition, there will be a Brew Bar featuring Marco's new prototype Uber Boiler, Chemex brewers, french presses, kettles and drip brewers from Bodum, a Tru Bru brew rail, as well as more grinders from Mahlkoenig.

The signature drink station will run special 30 minute presentations by champion baristas who have volunteered to make their signature beverages of past competitions, for the public and explain how they came about.

Needless to say we are very excited about this bar and how in alongside with the actual WBC, it will help to educate people about specialty coffee and raise awareness of just what it means to be a barista today. However, to make this a success, we need many of the great baristas we know will be attending to sign up and work the bar.

Should you indicate in your volunteer form that you would like to work the WBC bar, there is no guarantee because we must work out the best schedule for all the volunteers who have registered. Ideally we’d like experienced competition baristas to help work the bar though we'll consider similarly skilled baristas.

This bar will run for each of the 4 days of the event and rely on the time of many great baristas. As an incentive to those considering volunteering, we are offering items in return for hours worked. A 5 hour shift will grant you show floor access to the SCAA Exposition, taking place in the same conference hall and for additional hours more goodies are in store.

So if you are planning on attending the 10th World Barista Championship and if you’re able to make coffees to WBC standards and would like to work alongside names such as Hoffmann, Wendleboe, Yung, Makin, Baca and Sara, then go to www.worldbaristachampionship.com and fill out the volunteer form.
FlyingThud

RE: The 2009 WBC Bar in Atlanta

Postby Beanie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:35 am

That sounds fantastic! It's my b'day wknd and I think I'm off... oh I soooo want to go! Unfortunately, I've never competed... although I did volunteer dishwashing @ WBC 2005 :lol:

*checks flight & accommodation pricing* :roll:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby syscrusher » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:15 am

I look forward to drinking from the bar.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby Tristan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:46 am

Awesome, wish I was going!
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:01 am

Hmmm does any one know with the volunteer thing you can do it just one day? I'm there for the weekend but really don't want to spend all my time working ( a small break would be nice) but would love to be involved with the bar or WBC back room stuff.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Very cool to see the thought processes involved in this, and how it will serve to engage with the public!
I'll make it a sticky for the time being Stephen, so that it draws as much attention as possible.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:18 pm

What a brilliant initiative. Love it :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby FlyingThud » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:25 pm

Hey Guys

I really should post more on this and I'm sorry for being so quiet.

Steve, when you fill in the volunteer form on the site you can say how many hours or days you wanna do.

Delighted you're coming along, though am somewhat curious if you'll be cheering louder for the UK or Ireland....

Mind you, I'm not sure how I'm gonna play that one myself... or the two national champs I'm training..
FlyingThud

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi Stephen

Can I do both. I'm bringing an Ireland and an England footy shirt and I'll swap at half time. :) It shows how good the European Scene is, I might even try and get a USA shirt to as Mike Philips is amazing, what a barista.

I'm sure its time for us to catch a beer Stephen its been too long :)

Volunteer Form about to be filled in as we speak. I think it will be a great chance to see backstage and meet the guys who are driving coffee forwards.
Last edited by Steve on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Jaanus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Look stunning and i second to Tristan in wanting to be there. Unfortunately no funds for te trip.
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby charmon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Hmm...I would LOVE to do this. A distraction I'm sure but still, sounds like a lot of fun
charmon

Postby kingseven » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Depends what day you compete. If you are on day one or two then on either day two or three of heats it could be fun to jump on and pull shots.

I think I will do a couple of sig drinks on that bar one day. Probably my WBC drink, and maybe one other.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby charmon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Yeh,once i get a confirm i'll definitely put my name down. Myself and Sys were lucky enough to man the bar at hasbeans open day, a lot of fun!
charmon

Postby lukas » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 am

This is brilliant. It must be really hard work making this happen!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby syscrusher » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Great concept, I wonder how much water they'll use...

:|
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Next

Return to Off Topic