New TMC logo drafts. Hit me!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby zix » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:55 pm

With Phil´s blessing I moved this to its own thread. How about a TMC logo? It could be used on the website of course, and should work well in that context. But the original idea was for something to put on a coffee cup, and I think it should work everywhere. Coffee cup, T-shirt or other printed matter, and on screen.

Anyway, here is my contribution. I always try to dock conceptual symbols or ideas with a logo, and hopefully you can make out the coffee cup in perspective here.

I also tried some other typeface alternatives. Didn´t quite like that the thin hairlines disappear in the black coffee on smaller sizes. However, after trying with three other typefaces I still find the original Bodoni very compelling in the comparison, although all of the others are a bit more "legible" at this small size. (This would not be an issue on coffee cups or other printed matter though, as the resolution is much much higher in print for this kind of graphic. This is mainly a web problem.) Here is that comparison anyway:

See something that you like? Or would you like something entirely different? Nice or bad? Hit me!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Raf » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:22 am

I agree that a logo would be nice. This one is rather stern with the black and white, I think. Also, I have this thing with serif fonts (or is it sans serif, I'm not sure, but the ones with the wings)... I just don't like them. But I do like the idea of the coffee cup in perspective!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:58 am

How about having the TMC letters sort of shimmering, like steam rising, this might make it look a bit more obviously a coffee cup.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:56 am

I'm not keen on serif fonts either - but if you're not careful sans serif fonts can look a little blocky and stern.

My immediate reaction to Mats' design was "hmmm, looks like the TMC rubber stamp"! No offence, but it just looks too "official".

Shame I'm too busy with the email project to have a go at this myself. Then again I have even less artistic talent than Simon! :roll:
Last edited by phil on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:24 am

Then again I have even less artistic talent than Simon!

Not possible :lol:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:21 am

when I have the time tonight I'll try to make 3 pictures from the shot:
First 10 seconds only crema, second 10 seconds slowly espresso forming in the bottom of the glass, third 10 seconds the finished espresso...then I'll fill the letters with the cut pics.....would that be ok? Here is just a painted draft - looks very childish now, but with real pictures might work

blue should just show the background of TMC...
Attachments
tmc-test-10-04.jpg
tmc-test-10-04.jpg (5.79 KiB) Viewed 9518 times
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Raf » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:46 am

Hmm, I like that Joey. Do you think it will be clear enough?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:56 am

I'll try to photoshop a bit....got a new camera, should work with close ups...
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby zix » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:33 pm

Good idea, Joey!

Colour is always nice - I was thinking of something brownish for mine, but kept it deliberately as b/w at the first attempt. Will be having a go at it again tonight.
Thanks for your comments, guys! Perhaps it looks a bit too "official" (in a negative sence), phil. We´ll see if that feeling goes away in the next iteration. I like official if it has the handicrafted look, though.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:34 pm

Following on from Zix's, this is what it looks like with the rest of the cup in - sorry about the freehand bit but it was quick!
Attachments
TMC-logo3.JPG
TMC-logo3.JPG (14.38 KiB) Viewed 9497 times
Ian

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:38 pm

Something like that but perhaps with the letters moved a bit was what was in my mind too.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Re: New TMC logo drafts. Hit me!

Postby zix » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:55 pm

Ian wrote:Following on from Zix's, this is what it looks like with the rest of the cup in - sorry about the freehand bit but it was quick!

Yep, I am trying out versions with the cup in too - but don´t forget that a logo should work in both big and small sizes. With the entire cup profile drawn, the letters will be a lot smaller at image heights around 80 pixels or so. Like in the top-"frame" of the website... Not saying that this won´t work though, just that one has to bear it in mind.
zix

Postby zix » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:56 pm

phil wrote:Something like that but perhaps with the letters moved a bit was what was in my mind too.

Letters moved - where, Phil?
zix

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:07 pm

Underneath like a saucer - maybe spelling Too Much Coffee in full?

I need to see it to see if it works - your comment about sizes is well taken. Then again it doesn't have to be legible at all sizes if it's visually identifiable as "The TMC Logo" in people's minds.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby zix » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:24 pm

phil wrote:Underneath like a saucer - maybe spelling Too Much Coffee in full?

A-ha! I see. Well, that is quite possible. Such letters would not need to be immediately readable. Would be fun to try that out. May I?

Anyway, here is another go at the elliptical logo, with a more colourful and realistic cup background. Still scalable. The coffee part is not finished yet, the rim of the cup needs a bit of tweaking (too flat now) and maybe the text should have a different colour. Gives you an idea though (I hope).
At least, now it doesn´t look like a stamp anymore.
zix

Next

Return to Off Topic