Article in Whisky-magazine about Irish Coffee

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Article in Whisky-magazine about Irish Coffee

Postby michel » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:42 pm

As a Malt-lover, I came across an article about Irish-Coffee in Whisky Magazine (issue34). (Pitty btw there is no such magazine about coffee - although an European Mag. would be best... of course...)

To begin with: I personally don't like anything in my coffee (except for loads of sugar), but when somebody has a good Irish-whisky, and he explains to me that I really should try it with some fine coffee... I would eagerly except... (a bit like the grape/wine-farmers in France who drink wine as if it was water, and when you ask them to put some water with the wine for the kids, shouts: No! that's an insult. But you may add some wine to your water to improve it...)

Some highlights in the article:
(1940s):
'...In the days before bidget airlines, or even decent runways, flying boats, the huge dinosaurs of the aviation world, criss-corssed the Atlantic, pushing man and machine to the limit.
These were not simply flights. In the middle of the second world war, these were epic adventures where everyone looked like bogart and Bacall.
It paid to look cool, as by the time your New York flight splashed down on the calm waves of Foynes on the West coast of Ireland, your small intestine was probably in your Fedora.
... This meant that the trans-Atlantic crossing could take a bum-numbing 20 hours. As a result it's just as well these flying boats featured full length beds, staterooms and prper dining tables.
So there was nothing strange that winters'evening in 1943, when five hours out of Foynes, a New York bound plane, battered by the elements, turned back towards Ireland.
There was also nothing unusual in its tired assengers then climbing into a motor launch to be bumped over rough waves to an open dock.
And as they ran towards the terminal building, there was nothing peculiar in the cold, miserable dark Irish rain... but what greeted them inside was distinctly unique.
To this day no one knows what possessed chef Joe Sheridan to put coffee, sugar, whiskey and cream into a glass and serve it to the perished passengers.
But the combination of tired damp travellers with the four essential food groups of sugar, dairy, caffeine and alcohol, did the trick.
'Hey Buddy' an American is reported to have said, 'is this Brazilian coffee?'
'No' said Joe, 'that's Irish Coffee' Or so the legend goes...
... (the Irish-coffee spread no futher than across the estuary to a new bar...)...
... On one evening the three friends ( Delaplane, Jack Koeppler and George Freeberg) sat up all night experimenting, trying to crack the taste and the look of Sheridan's creation.
By all accounts the session was quite heated, and Delaplane nearly died on the way home when, exhausted by his efforts, he collapsed on the cable car tracks outside.
But they had it cracked:
'The whole world is going to drink Irish coffee' Koeppler is reported to have said.
'This drink is for the gods'.
This was a real boost to the ailing Irish shiskey industry, helping some of the smaller distilleries such as Kilbegaan and Tullamore fight off closure for a few years. Even John Jameson climbed aboard the craze, sending literally shiploads of whiskey across the Atlantic.
But with Irish coffee came two further problems. The first was cream.
The BV had a hard time finding enough heavy cream ... After extensive research in to the subject, he discovered that when cream was aged for 48 hours and frothed to a precise consistency, it would float and not sink.
The other problem that came with Irish coffee was more enduring. When American GIs left post Martial Aid Europe, they did so carrying bottles of Scotch under their arms, while in the States, 'Irish' became synonymous with coffee, not whiskey.
'Irish had been tainted by the sugar, swamped by the cram and drowned by the coffee. Mortally wounded it wouldn't be till the 1990s that Irish whiskey would finally fully distance itself from Joe Sheridan's Trojan horse.
As for Delaplane? The drink he made famous took over his life.
'I can't stand the stuff anymore' he said before passing away in 1988 at the age of 80.
... Anyone for French Coffee (brandy (Grand Marnier in the Netherlands)) Jamaican Coffee (rum) even the very dubious Gaelic Coffee (Scotch)? Best to stick to the original and as long as the whiskey you use is Irish, the brand is not critical.
The original Irish Coffee would have used pure pot still whiskey.
... Personally I prefer edgier (cheaper) blends, where grain whiskey is really good at cutting through the sugar an cream.
In the States Brennan's is ideal, in Europe for perfect Irish coffee pick any supermarket own-label Irish ...
... Use double (or whipping cream), never the dreadful stuff that squirts out of a nozzle, whip it hardish and pour it onto the coffee over the back of a spoon.
Then sit back and enjoy...'

:?: Re-reading this as typing, I noticed there is a lot info about the whisk(e)y used, but nothing about the coffee... This makes me thinking... what would be the best coffee for an Irish coffee...?
Certainly no espresso, so: French press, Filter dripp, Vac-pot..?

Michel (btw, did I post this in the right forum?)
michel

Postby phil » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:28 pm

A malt lover? Neku, I just knew we were going to get on well with Michel! :lol:

(Spot the member of the Scottish Malt Whisky Society)

BTW - yes "Off Topic"'s fine as there doesn't seem to be anywhere else better!

BTW 2 : If anyone feels that we need an extra forum, please say so. If we all agree it's very little effort on my part to create another one. I can also copy posts from other forums into the new one if needed.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:45 am

Hear, hear. By the way, Phil, I got a gift from someone at the housewarming party: a bottle of Arran malt. You know that brand?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:23 am

Know it but haven't tasted it. I was over on Arran last year but didn't get round to buying a bottle - Allyson said I'd already bought enough whisky that trip! Bossy woman!

I'd be interested in your tasting impressions. BTW you can read about the distillery here
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:50 pm

Sounds interesting. Must try it one of these days when I smoke my next cigar.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:29 pm

Neku, the tripple C's: coffee-cigars-cognac...
But I can really understand why you prefer a whisky over a cognac with your sigar. I managed to drink my daily three alcohol-consumptions (sometimes more...) as pure cognac for 1 year... This 'strange' behaviour was born out of the idea that everybody (well a lot of my friends anyway) said: 'Michel, don't be foolish... Whisky is THE drink...'
After the cognac-year I switched to whisky and enjoyed it for 3 years... Mainly: Lagavulin and Laphroaig... Though, a few month's ago, I discovered that there is more to enjoy... (like Coal Ila, Ardbeg, Springbank and Clynelish).
But you guys are talking about Arran, and me, being a novice is going: :?:

Question for Phil: I really like the descriptions of the whisky's on www.smws.com, but... is there anymore profit to obtain by getting a member..? (for me, living in the Netherlands... so buying there is'nt really an option).

Michel
michel

Postby phil » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:58 pm

Membership = the ability to buy IMO. All else is secondary. If you join and don't buy you are going to get haunted by all of the newsletters describing the lovely whiskies for sale.

Why is living in the Netherlands an issue? Surely the extra shipping cost is not that great, and surely in these days you cannot be stopped from or charged extra for buying booze from another EU member state? I see from the web site that the society expects you to go to the German and Benelux outlet, but I don't understand why? Anyone know why you can't post booze around the EU? Or maybe they choose not to sell outside the UK for reasons of logistics. I dunno.

Bah! it's beyond me. Are we in the EU or not? (My vote - YES we are so get over it and start being Europeans!!)
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:37 pm

phil wrote:Membership = the ability to buy IMO. All else is secondary. If you join and don't buy you are going to get haunted by all of the newsletters describing the lovely whiskies for sale.

Why is living in the Netherlands an issue? Surely the extra shipping cost is not that great, and surely in these days you cannot be stopped from or charged extra for buying booze from another EU member state? I see from the web site that the society expects you to go to the German and Benelux outlet, but I don't understand why? Anyone know why you can't post booze around the EU? Or maybe they choose not to sell outside the UK for reasons of logistics. I dunno.

Bah! it's beyond me. Are we in the EU or not? (My vote - YES we are so get over it and start being Europeans!!)
I vote for that..! Being European sounds quite better than being from the Netherlands... and... it's in (this case) much more usefull... (and thanks for the warning... about being haunted..!)
I read somewhere that you may carry 9 bottles of alcohol when you go from one country to the other... No tax!
On the other hand, I ordered some beans from Sweet Maria almost 3 months ago (book+beans)... It took 7 weeks to reach me and I've paid a lot on shipping... So that's why I'm hesitating buying something without knowing the shipping cost's... also in EU.
Michel
michel

Postby phil » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:47 pm

I find Sweet Maria's shipping costs for surface mail to be very reasonable. Our sometime member Nass also pointed out (when we were on the old site) that the costs to France were even cheaper. If you're prepared to wait, buying from Sweet Maria's and paying surface rates is cheaper than buying from the quality sources in the UK (Hasbean, Hill & Valley).

Now that's what I call seriously daft!
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:33 am

michel wrote:Neku, the tripple C's: coffee-cigars-cognac...
But I can really understand why you prefer a whisky over a cognac with your sigar. I managed to drink my daily three alcohol-consumptions (sometimes more...) as pure cognac for 1 year... This 'strange' behaviour was born out of the idea that everybody (well a lot of my friends anyway) said: 'Michel, don't be foolish... Whisky is THE drink...'
After the cognac-year I switched to whisky and enjoyed it for 3 years... Mainly: Lagavulin and Laphroaig... Though, a few month's ago, I discovered that there is more to enjoy... (like Coal Ila, Ardbeg, Springbank and Clynelish).
But you guys are talking about Arran, and me, being a novice is going: :?:

Michel

I don't think cognac works well with a Cuban, because it's too soft and too sweet: you need either a malt or (a recent discovery) a Havana Club of some 7 years old to offset the heavy taste. Lagavullin is great for cigars, as is Laphroaig. I didn't try the Arran yet - I just got it as a present. I'm curious. The other brands you mention I don't know, exept for Springbank, which was recommended to me by Phil, but I haven't got round to buying a bottle yet.

I used to smoke mainly corona's and double corona's (Punch, Partagas), but recently I discovered that robusta is more my thing: the cigars are thicker and therefore cooler. My local pusher had a box of Bolivar's last week (he only had two boxes this year, he says), and that tasted great: the length of a double corona with the size of a robusta. Yum! Writing this has given me a strong impulse to go out and buy one for tonight!

Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:20 am

(Yum! Writing this has given me a strong impulse to go out and buy one for tonight!)

Hope you enjoyed... and while you were smoking, I had this really strange dream:
I filled my Espressomachine with Lagavulin and the espresso's were so tasty, so really great that I went to the copyright institute to get me a copyright. I got a paper which declared I was the owner of the idea of whisky-espresso, and went home. Everybody was shouting halleluja to me and I was very happy. When I got home, the phone rang: The copyright institute: There was a Japanese guy who frothet milk with whiskysteam and his ' invention was much better... so my copyright was no longer fallid...

Strange dream..?

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:55 pm

I am not a connoisseur on whisky, but I really like the Glenturret 15 year-old. It is hard to get in the Netherlands (or even here in the UK). I bought it in Amsterdam in a specialty off-license.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Off Topic