snowed in, free holiday:)

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby fred25 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:33 am

pfffff, only 2 inches here... that's not even proper snow! ;)
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:55 am

Mate, you can have some of ours.... it's snowing here again, and judging by the roof of our car, there's already a good 10-15cm! Got to say, one of the nicest things is it is definitely quieter!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Bombcup » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Get on with it you bunch of workshys.
Bombcup

Postby Jasonscheltus » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:50 pm

you're just sore your train was running.

i guess you got home from work fine. pfft.
Jasonscheltus

Postby Gary » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:08 pm

No chance of a day off in Yorkshire. Are customers are hard, some of them are in their 80's and still they came out this morning for the usual cup of coffee. I salute them!
Gary

Postby dsc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 am

Hi guys,

even though it was snowing yesterday and not today, the train station in our town was closed completely today, no staff, no customers, nothing, you can't even get out of this area:O

The local roads are a complete joke as well, no salt, no sand, nothing, nada. The whole parking lot is still full of snow and I saw two 4x4s stuck on a smallish hill near a crossroad down the road. I'm just curious where the hell is my council tax going.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby geedee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 am

If you read the back of your Council Tax demand it will tell you where your money goes. I am sure your Local Authority would welcome your suggestions as to where they can make cuts, so they can afford a response to something that only happens once every 15 years ...
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

re

Postby dsc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:57 am

Hi,

I'm sure sand and a few snow shovels cost a fortune. And it's not like the UK lost a billion pounds because of this...oh wait we did lost more than a billion pounds.

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: re

Postby Hugo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:24 am

Most it goes to support their pension funds, apparently....
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby GreenBean » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:25 am

dsc wrote:Hi guys,

even though it was snowing yesterday and not today, the train station in our town was closed completely today, no staff, no customers, nothing, you can't even get out of this area:O

The local roads are a complete joke as well, no salt, no sand, nothing, nada. The whole parking lot is still full of snow and I saw two 4x4s stuck on a smallish hill near a crossroad down the road. I'm just curious where the hell is my council tax going.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc wrote:Hi guys,

GreenBean: I've seen on the BBC that it's snowing on the whole island, but I guess riding a sheep to work means that snow isn't that big of a problem;)

Regards,
dsc.

I am sorry to hear that you can not get out of your area dsc. Why not take up your own suggestion re riding sheep. I know some very obliging sheep that would be happy to give you a ride for a few zloty. :wink: :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

re

Postby dsc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:46 am

Hi GreenBean,

I actually had some proper, real sheep on my mind, not the ones you're referring too;) Btw what's your technique to ride a sheep, is it like sheep back, saddleless??:D with a cowboy hat?:)

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:56 am

The trains were not running between Oxford and the North Oxfordshire towns yesterday according to the local radio. We are just not set-up for snow in the UK anymore. My main worry is that we have had so little snowfall of any note (round these parts at least) in recent years that there is a whole generation of car drivers with little or no experience of travelling in it. Maybe I'm just old ;) :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Not too different from the sights in Vancouver over the holidays... lots of 4x4s but most of them didn't have snow tires... so they just had all 4 wheels spinning :lol: Also, Vancouver's 2008/09 snow removal (:lol:) budget is a mere C$1.5 million: Toronto's is around C$70 million! And even Toronto's is dwarfed by the ones for Ottawa and Montreal. On the whole, Canada's snow removal budget is estimated at C$1 billion!!!

Vancouver's snow problems
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby SlowRain » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:45 am

I remember back in Canada when we'd be snowed in and couldn't go to school. It was a real treat. The closest I get to that now is a typhoon day.

I hope everyone in the UK enjoys their holiday and drives safely if they do have to go out.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby shuurajou » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:38 am

In Bristol, we had some modest snow (by UK standards) earlier this week, it had melted entirely by yesterday. However, over night in Bristol, we've finally got a thick layer of snow. Was brilliant to wake up to. PLUS, I got a brand new Pioneer 50" PDP-LX5090 plasma delivered yesterday (yes, it's already up and running), talk about planning! :D. Sadly though, I still dragged myself into work :(.
shuurajou

Previous

Return to Off Topic