Visions link to coffee intake

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Visions link to coffee intake

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 am

It was announced on Radio 4 this morning that research from Durham University has found that people who drink too much coffee could start seeing ghosts or hearing strange voices.

The BBC site has more details here.

It seems this "research" involved asking 200 students for details of their coffee intake and experience with hallucinations or hearing voices. Apparently they did not ask the students if they were taking other "substances" which may well have a bearing on these experiences. :roll: :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Visions link to coffee intake

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:00 am

I didn't get all those hallucinations though
Perhaps it's regional? :D
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

RE: Visions link to coffee intake

Postby leecb » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:57 am

People who drank more than seven cups of instant coffee a day were three times more likely to hallucinate than those who took just one, a study found.

Well as it was instant coffee they were asking about it is not surprising that people were hallucinating! :roll:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Re: RE: Visions link to coffee intake

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:07 pm

leecb wrote:Well as it was instant coffee they were asking about it is not surprising that people were hallucinating! :roll:

The major hallucination then must have been that they believed they were really drinking coffee. :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Paws » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:50 pm

bruceb wrote:The major hallucination then must have been that they believed they were really drinking coffee. :roll:

You mean to tell me that instant coffee isn't real coffee??! :shock: :shock:
Paws

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Paws wrote:
bruceb wrote:The major hallucination then must have been that they believed they were really drinking coffee. :roll:

You mean to tell me that instant coffee isn't real coffee??! :shock: :shock:

Oh, it's real coffee, just like a road kill is a real deer. :P
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:12 pm

In my innocence I was thinking of students abusing other substances but I am sure you guys are right that consuming instant coffee is far worse for them. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby darrensandford » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:20 pm

I often wondered if they made Nescafe from the soil around a coffee plantation... ;)
darrensandford

Return to Off Topic