Barista employment forum!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Barista employment forum!

Postby Waterboy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:41 pm

Would it be possible to have a specific place in the forum or on the site for barista job vacancies? In the current global economic climate, I think it would be good for baristas to announce to this site that they are currently looking for work and for employers to announce that they are looking for good baristas. We can all help each other out this way. Personally, I'm currently looking for work in the Whitby/Scarborough areas of North Yorkshire. I'm looking for full time employment preferably but will accept part time in the right job. Can work any shifts and am very flexible. Call me on 01947 811011 or 07964 279917. Experienced barista.

Thanks - Rick
Waterboy

RE: Barista employment forum!

Postby lukas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:07 am

Welcome to the madhouse, Rick! Can't be of help to the question, as I have difficulties building an opinion on that (too much caffeeine late night and too much scotch already).
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Styles » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:50 am

Move to London - a few places are looking for people now.
Styles

Postby mrkyle » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:46 am

Good thread.
Totally worth keeping this going (I'll be in Europe in a few months...!)
mrkyle

Postby Joris » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Welcome Rick
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Aadje » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:14 pm

Welcome Rick, I like the idea, but a barista employment forum might get very advertorial. And a lot of us really value the non-commercial policy and attitude of TMC.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby BazBean » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:04 pm

sent a pm a few days later posting ..... not opened yet ?

still a good idea !
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:09 pm

A belated welcome Rick :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Meggi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:01 pm

Hello there,

I'm a very new member, an old user (reader) though. The story looks like this:

I got hooked up to coffee 3 years ago, bought a Gaggia 2 years ago, worked in a cafe for 6 months in Gdansk (Poland) and a month in London (UK :wink: ).
I came to London for the summer to earn some money, take it back to Poland and spend it on my MA course there so I found a temporary job at Costa (I know, I know), via agency, not to get attached too much. But since I arrived in UK, London has started growing on me and I've been literally brought down to my knees by the choice of MA courses here (as compared to my Poland univ) and - yes - I want to stay, work, study, live. So here is what I need:
surprise surprise: I need a barista position 8) .

I am ready to commit, no agencies, no chain cafes. I'd like a job I would like. That's not too much, is it?
As for my skills: most of my 'barista' experience comes from my own kitchen, where I worked hard on my machine with the assistance of caffeprego.pl (Polish forum equivalent)trying to achieve excellence (almost there!) Studying full-time for the past 3 years didn't leave much time for real work but this should mean that I'm good at learning. And I am. I'm also enthusiastic about quality coffee and quality customer service. I don't mean to create my covering letter here (but it seems that's exactly what I'm doing :oops: ) but most employers are more concerned about experience, not skills and commitment which is not quite fair as someone must finally give me a chance!

So... Anyone? Anything? I would be SO grateful and there would be one more person behind the machine who knows and cares what s/he's doing. Never too many, huh?

thanks for reading this
:wink:

Meggi

reply or pm please :)
Last edited by Meggi on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meggi

Postby Jasonscheltus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:01 am

i really think the best way to get a good job is to decide where you want to work, then approach them in person, with a smile, and maybe a CV, but definitely a smile.

Good luck!

(btw i had to 'drop in' and remind a coffee shop that I wanted a job there a few times before they called me back.. Sometimes you have to be a little more forward!)
Jasonscheltus

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Welcome to TMC Meggi :D

Just a cautionary note, by all means post your telephone number and email if you wish to do so, but do be aware of the risk of spambots homing in on your email and the potential for cranks to call you on the phone (cranks other than coffee people that is ;)). The email and PM buttons under your posts are an alternative, and less visible, means of contact.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Meggi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Jasonscheltus, I know the approach! 8) I've been to Milk Bar and Flat White with the smile but they said they didn't need anyone :( . I left my boring CV with them anyway, they should remember me as I got totally addicted to their coffee and being unemployed have plenty of time to drink it :wink: .
My smile worked in another place where I've been on a trial shift today but they literally boil milk and it looks like washing liquid (that's the standard) and no matter how hard I tamp, the espresso is 'ready' in less than 20 sec! (standard...) so I'll stay there to be able to pay for my flat white until I find my dream job. I already got the addresses of the cafes recommended here and shall set off for the tour round London shortly :D .

CakeBoy, good point, thx :). I've already edited.
Meggi

Return to Off Topic