A new Smartphone

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A new Smartphone

Postby Aadje » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:42 am

Gotta love mobile phone providers, I decided to stay with my current provider for another 2 years and they let me have a Samsung Omnia for free . . . :D

It's my first so called smartphone with windows mobile, trying to figure out how it all works.

Anyone else with such a phone?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

RE: A new Smartphone

Postby lukas » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:13 pm

Gah, windows mobile ... even worse than my Series 60 Nokia E71 ;)
Have fun with it, I hope the camera is better than mine (actually, I can't imagine it being not.)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Aadje » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:19 pm

That's the one minor point for improvement, windows mobile . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby dsc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi guys,

have fun with your new phone Aadje!

Anyone knows anything similar to the Iphone or the Omnia? I'll be switching phones soon and I have to choose something which can last for more than 2 days.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Aadje » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:45 pm

htc touch is a bit older, don't know about the battery life. although battery life greatly depends on what you're doing with it.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby dsc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi Aadje,

the whole idea of a touch screen phone seems cool. I did try the Iphone a few times and I like it, although I heard it only lasts for two days if you are using it to watch movies and listen to music (and browse the internet). I hardly ever do that and mostly use my phone to do what phones were created for, call other people. I don't care if it has a camera, expandable memory or some other useless functions, all I want is good reception, a calendar, ability to set memos, make notes, browse the internet and a good battery life.

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Joris » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:08 am

iPhone.... I phone !

I usually charge it once every 2 days, I use it a lot for internet, mail, games, movies, music and a plethora of apps so yeah then the battery lasts only a couple of days.

I've had quite a few smartphones (Alcatel one touch Com, Nokia 9110, MDA compact, Qtek S200) but the iPhone is the only one which actually delivers what it promises.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby shuurajou » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:48 am

iPhone is nice, but I won't pay that much money for a phone which won't record video or do MMS (I love Apple though - have an iMac)! Blackberry Bold is my phone of choice for now - no complaints with the latest software, definitely worth a look!
shuurajou

Postby Jules » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:23 am

I used a Treo 650 for several years before switching to the Windows Mobile based Treo Pro. I love the front facing QWERTY keyboard+touch screen combination, but WM is laggy and less intuitive compared to the Palm OS.

I use my Treo for calls, email and as an organiser. If you use hotmail it syncs up pretty well with windows live mobile. I'm trialing different 3rd party applications at the moment in search of the ultimate personal information manager.
Jules

Postby dsc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi guys,

well I finally decided to get an Iphone. So far it's not to bad I have to say, even though I was rather sceptic about it. Easy to work with, battery isn't too shabby and the touch screen is very nice. Hell I can even type stuff with my big thumbs, so I can't complain.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby coffee-dramatist » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Aadje,

i have a sony ericsson p990i
before that i had a p800, the first one of the series.

I am more than happy with these smart phones!
coffee-dramatist

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 pm

my p800 eventually gave up after a years service, it would somehow discharge the battery instantly every friday lunchtime. Even a full battery would be fine up until around 3pm, it made friday night plans very difficult if i couldn't get to a charger.

iPhones so good now
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby coffee-dramatist » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:21 pm

couldn't you simply skip your fridays?
Or simply party without appointments?
coffee-dramatist

Postby tav69 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:06 pm

I had the HTC Touch Diamond, and after a few months went back to my trusty SEM w890i. Windows Mobile is useful but ugly, and the HTC interface which goes on top makes it worse IMO, because you very often have to use both and the difference between them is obvious and jarring.

I'd love to try the Google G1, however I work for another operator (fruity) and the phones we get are free. Maybe when the G1 is freely available....
tav69

Re: RE: A new Smartphone

Postby MKSwing » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:09 am

shuurajou wrote:iPhone is nice, but I won't pay that much money for a phone which won't record video or do MMS (I love Apple though - have an iMac)! Blackberry Bold is my phone of choice for now - no complaints with the latest software, definitely worth a look!

That's the beauty of iPhone and iPhone OS... MMS and Video will be part of v3 of the OS and it will be a free upgrade for all iPhone users.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Next

Return to Off Topic