Things to do in london.

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Things to do in london.

Postby petikas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:03 pm

So I'll be in london for about a week and I plan to go to the british museum and the tate modern. I also printed out the good coffee map from the other thread and I intend to visit as many places as I can. :)
I also plan to go to a performance (probably avenue Q).

I've been to the national gallery and the museum of natural history once before but I'll go again if time permits.

I have no interest of going to the madame tussauds, riding the london eye, going to the zoo, and I'll shop mostly souvenirs.

What else would you recommend I do/see while in London?

Every advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

RE: Things to do in london.

Postby Aadje » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Harrods!

And of course the changing of the guard.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby GMRK » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:35 pm

If you can make it Eastwards at all I'd suggest trying either of these restaurants, neither are exactly places for a quiet romantic table for two but the food at both is worth the journey from the centre of town:

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/10960.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/curry-house-on-a-par-with-gordon-ramsay-923471.html

If you want fish+chips a friend of a friend owns and runs this place near Victoria Park, takeaway or eat-in (apologies for the shameless plug!):

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/10913.html
GMRK

Postby smoocher » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:05 am

we've got lots of parks which are fantastic. Hyde, Regents, Grenwich, Hampstead Heath.
other than all the usual tourist lark museums/royal stuff etc, if you just want to see the city the best way is to just get a travel card and jump on a double decker they're really easy to navigate (one of the few lovable things about this country, nearly all our public transport is SO SO easy to use)
smoocher

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:10 am

Unfortunately I don't really have time to do this thread any justice. I will chime in on what RB has said though.
Get a travelcard, buses are great, but another thing which is fun is catching one of the boats from westminster and then either traveling down to Greenwich or up to Hampton Ct. There's plenty to do and a few good pubs in Greenwich, where you can then catch the DLR back through docklands to Bank.
I like the walk from St Paul's over the Millennium bridge to the Globe theatre and Bankside, then up the south bank to Hungerford bridge and back over the river. Again, plenty to see/do/eat/drink along this route.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby GMRK » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:23 am

I'll second the riverboat trip to Greenwich - great way to see the city and the DLR back through Docklands is a good journey also.

And try to use the buses as suggested - if you find yourself going in the wrong direction just jump off and try another one (this used to be much more fun with the open-door Routemasters...), it's difficult to find yourself completely stranded on the outskirts of town.
GMRK

Postby fred25 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:10 am

rossbrown wrote:one of the few lovable things about this country, nearly all our public transport is SO SO easy to use

Do we live in the same country???? :shock: :lol:
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby petikas » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:35 pm

I got an oyster card, it's really easy and worry free!!
I already tried monmouth coffee in monmouth street and I loved the place. The espresso was not that good though. I'll try it again just in case.
I also found Vergnano and flat white but they were both closed by the time I found them. :(
petikas

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Hmm, not sure that you can get the same deal on the boats with an oyster card as with a travel card, sadly the two are not interchangeable (though they should be)!
How about you give us more of an idea as to what you would like to do/see and we'll see if we can come up with some more suggestions. Avenue Q is good, if you like that kind of thing.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby smoocher » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:33 pm

fred25 wrote:
rossbrown wrote:one of the few lovable things about this country, nearly all our public transport is SO SO easy to use

not if i had my way
smoocher

Postby Eschatologist » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:57 pm

I also found Vergnano and flat white but they were both closed by the time I found them.

Boy oh boy, you didn't miss anything at flatwhite today; they'd all been out on their staff party last night (karaoke bar, if you must know), and had a sign on the till asking people to be gentle with them :lol:
Eschatologist

Postby fred25 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:02 pm

rossbrown wrote:
fred25 wrote:

not if i had my way

...Merry Christmas! :D
fred25

Postby petikas » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm not seeing Avenue Q after all, but we decided to go for the We will rock you musical, we'll see the show on Friday.
Tomorrow we'll mostly stay at home and enjoy time with friends and we'll go out in the night for food and drinks at a pub.
On Friday we'll go to Hyde Park, Harrods and do some shopping before we go to the show.
On saturday I want to go to tate modern (I went to the british museum yesterday), and go for a boat trip.
I still have Sunday to fill and in between stuff I'll try and find some more of the cafes.
btw, I already ordered and already got an aeropress and coffee from hasbean. :)
petikas

Postby fred25 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:03 am

One thing you could also do is head towards Kensington, and if you not bored with too many museums, go to the Science museum - it's huge (I men huge!) and quite fun - also, the Natural History museum is next door I think. Also, Comedy Clubs are a UK speciality at least European-wise I think, so if you think you'll like that it might be worth checking the listings to see what's on!

If you like try to get to eat some sushis - there're some nice kaiten sushis bars (revolving belt thingy) - check Time Out, but one we always go back to - if only cause it's the one we know ! - is kulu-kulu by Piccadilly Circus (76 Brewer Street to be precise) - very central, not too expensive, and some really nice sushis.

Otherwise, if you're in the area and feel adventurous food-wise, you could try Ethiopian food at Lalibela in Kentish Town - had some really great food there, though it was a while back so might be worth doublechecking.

Oh, and if you feel some sudden yearning for all things Cypriot head to Green Lanes (in-between Manor House and Turnpike Lane on the Piccadilly Line) - great place IMHO, and some really nice halloumi there (at least for my un-initiated tastebuds ;) )
fred25

Postby petikas » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:28 am

hehe, I'm staying in Green Lanes, but I think I'm staying off cypriot things for a week.
I'll check if I can find a good stand-up comedy for Sunday.
petikas

Next

Return to Off Topic