Fighting the 'big boys' in Brighton

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Fighting the 'big boys' in Brighton

Postby MrG » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:16 am

Just seen this video on the BBC News.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7767855.stm

Nice to see people supporting independant small operators over corporate outlets. I do understand the guys point at the end about it being better than a boarded up shop and it creating jobs ..... but forgetting about the jobs and 'open' shop units created by the independants !

Not to mention the fact that $tarbucks just decided to open without planning permission.

Anybody in Brighton seen this ...... or drinking/serving coffee nearby ?
Last edited by MrG on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They tried to make me drink it decaf.......I said no, no, no!
MrG

RE: Fighting the

Postby smoocher » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 pm

big chains opening without proper permission is pretty standard, i know both subway and costa are pretty well known for it simply because they know they will almost always get away with it.
however in this case starbucks definitely picked the wrong council to fuck with. there was a case a couple of years ago where brighton and hove forced this guy to deconstruct an indoor swimmingpool which had cost him in the region of 15/20k because he didn't apply for planning permission before building it.

i was going to say it amazes me that there are so many people that find the time to campaign against starbucks in the middle of the day, but it's brighton, so it doesn't in the slightest!
smoocher

Return to Off Topic