Cut-throat razors

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:20 pm

darrensandford wrote:It got me thinking too. As always, I made the mistake of "just doing a little research, to find out what it's all about" and ended up ordering things!

Curse my weakness for shinies!

No Darren don't say that, I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth and your leap is taking away my will not to buy :shock: :wink: :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:16 pm

CakeBoy wrote:
darrensandford wrote:It got me thinking too. As always, I made the mistake of "just doing a little research, to find out what it's all about" and ended up ordering things!

Curse my weakness for shinies!

No Darren don't say that, I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth and your leap is taking away my will not to buy :shock: :wink: :P

Curse my weakness for coffee. I was roasting coffee in the garage this morning, when I should have been keeping an eye on my fleabay watched items
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0296053469

Unused, therefore new condition, £8 inc shipping. It's 1940 - 1959 vintage, so probably badger or boar bristles, rather than synthetic. Well let's hope it's gone to a good home, a collector no doubt - if it's 50 years old, is it classed as antique?
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:05 pm

Ohhhhh purdy. Sorry you missed it mate :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Tristan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:33 am

I had a barber shave me with a cut-throat razor a couple of months ago and I was also doing some work with a different barber last week at the Smirnoff Black Barbers.

Both of them told me that they would never shave themselves with a cut throat, because it's actually really hard to work around the jawline and of course, very dangerous. It also takes a lot longer because you have to take your time, with a safety razor you can work quite quickly.

My cut-throat shave took about 30 minutes!
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:05 am

Wow, that does make you think eh? :shock: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby darrensandford » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 am

I have managed a couple of shaves with a straight now, and apart from a few scratches, and the fact that I didn't get the one I shaved with quite sharp enough, there is something very satisfying with shaving with a blade you sharpened yourself.
darrensandford

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Very brave ....... I'd just be happy to survive if I tried it! :shock: ;) :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby geedee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:49 pm

I am lost ... I use shaving cream (Geo Trumper) and a badger hair bristle brush (Kent BK 2) because I get a better shave than I have ever managed with an electric shaver, and also because years ago it guaranteed me 5 minutes peace in the morning, but I also use the safest razor I can find, (although it has a tortoise shell handle for show :oops:) I see little point in exposing myself to uncomfortable experiences that have no added benefit. I shoot in all weather conditions but I have the fun of seeing my dogs working, mountaineers put their necks on the line, but they go to places that they couldn't go to without doing that .. and the adrenaline rush must be something else. You can make similar cases for racing drivers, motorcycle racing, windsurfing etc etc ... but shaving with a cut throat and getting your face nicked to blazes is just plain stupid ...
... but, I have followed this thread with avid interest and am having to restrain myself from PMing Cakey to see if he is interested in a group buy ...

What is wrong with me ... help me please ... I only joined because I like coffee ... and as for DSC and Gouzeri and their DSLr's ...

I love this place :wink:
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Read, soap microfoam for milk microfoam, smooth skin for smooth espresso extraction, the sense of achievement in both and the whole ceremony of it all. Let's face it, we are all obsessional perfectionists who like nice things and doing them properly. No hope for us really ........... ;) :P

Group buy of stright razors, nah ............ 50 year old safety DEs though are another thing entirely :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Tristan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:34 pm

Shaving brush is a good point actually. Makes the whole experience much easier.
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby darrensandford » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 am

CakeBoy wrote:Read, soap microfoam for milk microfoam, smooth skin for smooth espresso extraction, the sense of achievement in both and the whole ceremony of it all. Let's face it, we are all obsessional perfectionists who like nice things and doing them properly. No hope for us really ........... ;) :P

Group buy of stright razors, nah ............ 50 year old safety DEs though are another thing entirely :D

Good distribution (of foam) is important as well.

Try for a good slow extraction, or you might end up with a gusher! :shock:
darrensandford

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:22 am

Tristan wrote:
Both of them told me that they would never shave themselves with a cut throat, because it's actually really hard to work around the jawline and of course, very dangerous. It also takes a lot longer because you have to take your time, with a safety razor you can work quite quickly.
My cut-throat shave took about 30 minutes!

I don't know if my chin is getting tougher, but I'm managing to avoid nicks on 2 out of 3 shaves. However, I'm still using the MkIII on the point of the chin - an area 6cm wide by 4cm deep. Total shave time is now down to about 15mins.

Mentioning no names :roll: those folk with 2 or more chins, might well be advised to stick to a safety razor. The problem with the point of the chin, is it is so difficult to focus the eye and get the razor at say, a nice flat 30 degrees.

Another problem with the cut-throat, is where do you get it re-ground cheaply. With the cost of postage these days, it may pay you to simply bite the bullet and pay for MkIII re-fills.

I suspect the safety-blade industry, is quite capable of supplying a single blade, that will last a month and still be as cheap as chips. IIRC the longest shave I got from a safety blade was about 5 shaves, but the shaves weren't as 'close' as the MkIII.

I'm quite pleased I've made the change to the cut-throat. Whether it pays for itself is debatable. The thing to avoid is over sharpening on the leather strop.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:48 pm

Well I suppose it's a win/win situation Bertie old chap ....... you will either get cheaper shaves or inadvertantly do a 'Sweeny Todd' on yourself, which will result in a massive saving on future blade expenditure ;) :D

......... Seriously though, please please be careful!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:37 pm

I have considered this quite seriously, however given mt 'History', I feel that it is at this point in time safer, indeed vital, that I leave all sharp objects where they belong. I can handle breaking a couple of machines, bodums, etc...however I value my neck!
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:17 am

Matt ......... just grow a beard and stay away from anything sharp ..... please! ;) :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic