Tea?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Tea?

Postby Jules » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:51 pm

I enjoy the odd cup of tea, but I don't know as much about good teas as I do about good coffee. Does anyone know of any good online tea stores based in the UK or TMC-esque forums?
Jules

RE: Tea?

Postby AlexV » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Cimbali Junior 21, Macap MXT900, Mazzer Kony GOD, Vacuum Coffee Saver
AlexV

Postby kingseven » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:28 pm

The Jing Tea stuff is nice, but if you are ever in London then pop into Tea Smith in Spitalfields - amazing quality and amazing passion.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:36 pm

When I wake up in the morning, I'm a bit dehydrated, so half a pint of tea does the trick. Sadly my taste buds haven't progressed beyond Morrisonn's red label, so I can't suggest any of the more exotic brews. Steve has a few in stock, plus a strange gizmo called an Infusion Wheel, which may also cure whip-lash. :oops:
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby lastcoyote » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:05 am

interesting that the subject of tea has come up now.... i't's kind of my new hobby :D :shock: ...don't worry i'm still as much into my coffee as ever too.

specifically chinese/taiwan teas.
been learning the art of gongfu tea brewing/serving etc..
and in the same way that everyone has learnt much about coffee from reading this forum..the equivalent tea forum to learn from is here: TeaChat

i've learnt loads...and even have a contact in taiwan now who will be sending me some oolong and pu-erh tea soon. pu-erh tea is a whole world on it's own. very acquired taste but fascinating too.

their's a couple of good stores on ebay that have chinese teas and tea making equipment etc... you can link to them from my blog that i've started but hardly ever post to...lack of time :(
http://www.lastcoyote.co.uk
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby darrensandford » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:37 am

I have bought some lovely oolong from http://www.algcoffee.co.uk/ before. They have a nice range, and seem genuinely interested in what they do :)

I know the website is "algcoffee", but I always go straight for the tea, so I have no knowledge of their coffees.
darrensandford

Postby Bombcup » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Hello everybody sorry I've been absent for a while, long hours and new wireless (read non-functional) internet connection has kept me away.

Has anybody tried making tea in a Cona? I tried it because I figured the oxygenation and agitation of the water might do good things for tea and it worked very well. Good full bodied brew with no astringency and no need to strain it. I use three grams of green tea per 250ml, steeped for only around 1 minute when the water has gone north because of the strong agitation. Give it a try.
Bombcup

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Welcome back WC! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Bennicus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:15 am

These guys do some pretty nice teas http://tchaiovna.com/ and if you're ever round Glasgow way it's worth stopping by their little cafe in the west end, very tasty cuppa! :)
Ponte Vecchio Lusso, Mazzer SJ, beans from Steve.
R.I.P. Melitta filter + filter papers, hot water, gravity, cheapo Russel Hobbs grinder "The Grindinator"
Bennicus

Postby Glenn » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:02 am

There is also Tea Forums UK , a small but growing community.

TeaChat and JingTea are both great too
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojo™ | mypressi TWIST™ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:27 pm

Now that is definitely not on. We allow the odd bit of swearing, the infrequent referencing of other coffee sites/forums... even the odd semi commercial post... but mentioning another forum devoted to that muddy water drink... now that's not on! :twisted: It's a slippery slope folks, and we want none of that leafy drink talk around here! Cakey, you should know better! :P
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Earl Grey anyone? :P ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Off Topic