looking for a blender

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

looking for a blender

Postby dsc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi everyone,

My lovely girlfriend drinks a lot of funny looking and sometimes weird tasting fruit/veg drinks and usually prepares them in a blender. Heck even I like to drink a nice strawberry milk shake from time to time or a glass of orange juice with all the bits floating in it. Currently we are using a small crappy blender made by Philips and we would like to do a small upgradeitis to something better looking, better working, with a glass top and removable knife. I googled a bit yesterday and found out that there are two pretty cool US companies that make good blenders:

- BlendTec

- Waring

Both available in the UK.

The main problem is they are rather pricey, BlendTecs costing around 500-700£ and Warings somewhere around 120-200£. Now this is a lot to spend on a blender, but I already bought a lot of more expensive coffee equip. so I'm ready to spend some cash here as well . Of course not as much as 500£, but those Warings look quite good and should work for a good couple of years. Before I order anything though I was wondering whether you know any other brands that make blenders? I mean it is the sort of equipement that gets used in caffes pretty often so some of you might know:)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: looking for a blender

Postby lukas » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:58 pm

Will it blend - something for Steve here

(sorry, nothing else to add)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby AlexV » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:35 pm

If you want to blend ice, it has to be a blendtec. If not, then Hamilton Beach make some cheaper ones.

http://commercial.hamiltonbeach.com/pro ... /blenders/
Cimbali Junior 21, Macap MXT900, Mazzer Kony GOD, Vacuum Coffee Saver
AlexV

Postby kingseven » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Agree with AlexV - I'd stay away from the Blendtec unless you are going commercial. I have a Waring at home and have been very happy with it, was just over £100 I think. Heard plenty of good things about Hamilton Beach stuff.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby crphillips » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:56 pm

I bought a Vita-Mix blender..........a lot of big coffee chains use these. Very robust with a very powerful motor. It's got some pretty funky, chunky, retro-ish looking buttons and switches. Totallly variable speed control too.....it'll set you back around £350ish. It's sat next to the Champion Juicer.....also a fantastic bit of kit..........My favourite is the espresso machine though.
La Pavoni Pub (Plumbed In)
Mazzer Mini E'
Gene Cafe
Vacu-Seal
crphillips

Postby Jaanus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:14 am

if You`re just looking to make milk shakes and fruit smoothies then a KitchenAid might do it..
http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/category.jsp?categoryId=171
not enough power fr long term ice crushing job, though :roll:
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby dsc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. The 'Will it blend' series is in fact Blendtec being used for various weird stuff.

I like the looks of Hamilton Beach, but they are rather pricey here in the UK (found the most simple model for around 100$ in the US and here it costs 150£). I think I will go with a Waring, but I'm not 100% sure so I have to think it through.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby petikas » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:41 am

How about a Macap to match with your grinder!
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

Postby leecb » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:31 pm

I wouldn't go for the Hamilton Beach, the new ones are pretty bad in my experience especially for crushing ice in drinks eg. smoothies. I have had nothing but trouble with my new one. The blades are no longer sharp and the motor isn't as strong as they used to be. At a price of around £200 they're not what they used to be.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Return to Off Topic