Immune to caffeine?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Immune to caffeine?

Postby simonp » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:34 am

I think I have the opposite to the problem some people have with caffeine, it seem to have no effect one me.
On Friday evening at 9:00PM I sat down to watch a film, having just consumed a double espresso, and found myself struggling to stay awake, in fact I drifted off a couple of times :shock:
Have I become immune to caffeine, or does it just no affect some people very much?
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby quink » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:54 am

You can build up a tollerance to caffeine, so much so that it no longer has any effect on blood pressure or any of the other nasty side effects that get mentioned. I'm not sure about how it differs from person to person, Its been a long time since I've done biology.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby Raf » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:12 am

Also, caffeine only kicks in after three hours. So if you wanted to be awake at 9 PM, you should have had your double shot around 6 PM!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:42 am

You lcky git, you can drink it whenever you want!
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:58 pm

WHAT'S SLEEP :shock:
Steve
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:47 pm

I found my resistance to caffeine at university. I took some Pro Plus tablets and they made me drowsy. I took the maximum recommended dose and it made me drowsy. So I took another dose and felt back to normal. Then I took another dose and felt mildly perked up.

That was the first and last box of Pro Plus I ever used. I did find that taking 11 Pro Plus (five times the recommended maximum dose) washed down with seven bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale did interesting things to my head :shock: :mrgreen: :drink: :drink: :shock:
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Danny » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:43 pm

I have a similar experience. It seems I need about 3 doubles before I feel anything.
Danny

Postby matts » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:47 pm

You boys need more robusta in your lives :wink:
matts

Postby Steve » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:55 pm

MORE ! :shock: MORE ! ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby quink » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:16 pm

Mmmm, gotta love that robusta twang :D
quink

Postby Muko » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:28 am

I remember 5 years ago after a long outgoing night I went to work where at that moment we had a lavazza machine with taps!So very knackered I decided to make my coffee more stronger!
A word and a blow I took a big cup and 10 taps,and began!As soon as I saw changing the colour of the coffee from black to clear I stopped the machine and slided the next one in!After 10 taps my cup was filled 3/4 and after the 1st taste which was awful I had to put sugar into it!So far as I recall about 5 pieces making it a little bit more dinkable!
After about 1 hour my head began to swam 5 min later I was bathed in sweat 3 min later I felt queasy an then..........................toilet:-(
That was my worst experience with coffee I made.I wasn't capable for 2 months to drink or even smell coffee:-/
It only depend on the quantity and strengh!Once you exceed the limit of your body you will notice it for sure:-))
greez
marco
Muko

Postby pault » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:39 am

it may be rubbish but I'm sure I read somewhere that you can get "caffeine fatigue" whereby too much of it flips over to cause the opposite symptoms to its normal ones ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby jumper » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:46 am

caffeine doesn't really affect me that much but a friend of mine can't drink even 1 espresso after 18:00 or he won't get to sleep for about 12 hours.
so it probably differs per person.

having said that i am really grouchy until i get my espresso in the morning so maybe the affect is diffrent but everybody gets affected
mark
jumper

Postby Muko » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:03 pm

That story happend only once in my life.
Up to now I haven't that problem anymore and I'm drinking my espressi whenever I can also at 22:00!
greez
marco
Muko

Postby MKSwing » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:37 pm

Muko wrote:That story happend only once in my life.
Up to now I haven't that problem anymore and I'm drinking my espressi whenever I can also at 22:00!
greez
marco

This summer, my bother and me tested our new espresso machines in Italy. I don't how many cups of coffee we drank but I couldn't sleep until 5 AM. This only happened once to me, but man what strange thnigs you come to think about when you're in that state. It's like if you are dreaming but awake.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Next

Return to Off Topic