"Ooooo"

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

"Ooooo"

Postby Gadders » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:04 pm

Was just prowling around the garden today after a light shower with the camera and came up with this gem...

Haven't clicked a good photo in ages so i'm chuffed with this result :)
Gadders

RE: "Ooooo"

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Cracking shot Gadders :P. What camera are you using, ours packed in last week (along with the dishwasher) and I'm looking out for recommendations :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby darrensandford » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:41 pm

My advice is don't wash your camera in the dishwasher!
darrensandford

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:47 pm

but it sparkles now ........ :( :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi everyone,

would love to buy me a decent dSLR sometime soon as well. I'm guessing it's a Nikon or a Canon:D do I win something? :D

Oh awesome picture as well!

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Gadders » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Haha cheers Cakey, nope dsc im using a Pentax K100D Super with the standard 18-55 Pentax lens. I was initially sceptical about Pentax as i hadn't seen much of them but its really nice actually :)
Gadders

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:20 pm

:) another pentax user eh? they're really nice cameras to use, still feel closer to there mechanical roots than most i think. I have the k100's big brother the k10 but sometimes i wish i had gone for the more compact option :(
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:08 pm

I use an old Pentax 6x7 as my "medium" sized camera, you soon get used to the weight especially when using 200-300mm lenses :wink:

Phil, if you like pics like that, then just get yourself a small plant mister, then you won't have to wait for it to rain :D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby dsc » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:44 am

Hi,

oh a Pentax :O I just assumed it's either a Canon or a Nikon as they are the most popular. Currently I owe a small Canon A570 which is quite nice, but I have to send it for repairs as it's showing weird black spots on lower ISO and high apperture settings.

How much would I have to spend on a decent dSLR? would you recommend buying a used one or not?

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:11 am

If you're considering used, then KEH is the best place. However, I know that Nikon UK can be a bit funny on grey units.
You've got to think of cameras like espresso machines, and lenses like grinders (especially when talking about digital).
How much you pay is going to depend on what you need :D For example most people rarely print larger than 8x10
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby HughF » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:18 pm

If you buy a Canon DSLR which does not have a full-frame sensor (i.e. anything at a sensible price), look at the 18-55 EF-S Image Stabilisation zoom lens (c. £120)instead of the standard EF-S zoom lens. Canon say it reduces camera shake enough to allow shooting 4 stops slower. There is also a 55-250 IS EF-S telephoto zoom (c. £200).

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Last week I paid £279 for a new Canon EOS 350D with EF 28 - 90mm lense. The warranty is only 3 months. I know they've brought out later versions, but I'm quite pleased with it and it's a big jump from my FP1400 compact.

Bertie
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby darrensandford » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:23 pm

The 350D is a great performer, you should be happy with it :)
darrensandford

Postby dsc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi,

I was actually looking at 350D and D40/D70 from Nikon as well. I know they are older models, but they will do anyway. The problem with the new Nikons is they all use lenses with built in servos for autofocus which means you can't use cheaper lenses and you are forced to buy mostly Nikon ones.

Still not sure whether I should buy one before my holiday at the end of August or not.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:36 pm

Hey Tom,
Where did you read that info on Nikon lenses? That's not my experience with them. If anything, Nikon lenses are far more compatible given that they are still using the F mount (and I've seen little sign of them changing that) whereas other firms like Canon have changed mounts quite a bit (so there's always the risk they could do so again).
Now when it comes to the built-in chips for AF-D/I/S/G, when changes like this occur, lens manufacturers like Sigma often provide a re-chipping service (it's in their best interest after all). So you just need to check how old a lens is and whether there have been any revisions.
Have a look at the following pages. It all seems a bit complicated to start with, but they should help:
Thom Hogan's Lens Acronyms
Nikon SLR Camera and Lens Compatibility

Personally, I'm still in a state of shock that G lenses don't have an aperture ring! :lol: It does make choosing lens boards look easy though :wink:

One bit of advice, if you do decide to buy a "new" camera, make sure you get it in good enough time to learn how to use it properly before your hols. People often miss shots simply because they don't know how to work their cameras.
Gouezeri

Next

Return to Off Topic