smalltalk with #3 Barista Champ Fabian Schmidt

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

smalltalk with #3 Barista Champ Fabian Schmidt

Postby Joey » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:39 pm

Davidoff (usually Cigarettes) sells 100% arabica coffee - I'm not gonna comment that now :|

The last two days they served the coffee in a famous coffee house in Vienna, with latte art and special drinks made by Fabian Schmidt. He was Nr. 3 at the German SCAE Barista - Championship 2003.

I drank a melange with latte art, and Gerald - my husband had a cappucino passionata ( I think that was the name of that drink) - with Amaretto, whipped cream and crumbled pistachio nuts.

As there was not so much stress behind the counter, I took the chance to talk to Fabian, 36 year young German who looks like an Italian :roll:

He bought an old Faema E 61 and repaired it - that's how everything started. He trained the latte art all by himself and is proud to be someone who makes his own rules. Today he builts wonderful espresso machines together with Kees van der Westen. They are both responsible for the design and the technique.
They make custom designs (like for La Marzocco the Mistral) and the famous Mirage, which you can purchase for 7500 €uro. :oops:

One interesting speciality at the mirage is that you can activate the steamwand with your foot, using a pedal. That let's you use both hands on the pitcher. >sweet<

Talking about technical stuff I found out that his opinion about temperature is to adjust the boiler pressure to 1,1-1,3 bar for hotter water. Well, at my La San Marco mine makes the perfect temperature at 1bar - I have to try it with more, but I think it depends on the rest of the machine how it can loose/keep temperature until the water is at the group, and of course on the coffee we use (how it's roasted, too).

So I'll give it a try, but I stil think everyone has to find out for him/herself and the specific machine. - IMHO!

Then we were bitching about gastronomers who only use 4-5grams of coffee per shot.
I said I use an 8gram sieve for a single (a little bit more fits inside :wink: ), and he said he manages to get 12 gram inside a 7gram sieve by grinding finer and tamping harder. Hmmmm.
I said if I grind finer and tamp harder to get much more inside my water just doesn't make the way through in the desired time....

He ment that might be because my La San Marco sieves/PF baskets are 55mm and deeper. I, for my part think that this is a great advantage over other PF's because in tests it proofed that the water get's more flavours out of a narrow and deeper PF then a flat and wider...but that's another subject :roll:

I had fun talking with him about that - it showed me that there will always be different opinions about techniques, but the most important thing is that we both have the same ambitions = making the perfect cup!

What else did we talk about...he is in the business since 2 years (only!wow.), has never been a waiter or barista before, does work with Kees most of the time and travels a lot because he gets invited to coffee events very often (Dubai, Mautitius for Tschibo, Vienna for Davidoff, and I forgott the other destinations, I'm sorry :? ) - and obviously makes a good living with that. His daily rate is 600 €uro, if you plan to engage him for your next party :D

Asking him if he drank some good coffee in Vienna I got the answer I expected: "No." >sigh<
And I totally share his opinion about coffee houses who don't even make the correct recipies, don't use enough and crappy coffee, but that's also another subject.... :roll:

He had to work on one of these new Faemas E 62, the light blue one that looks like a Cimbali (because Faema is married to Cimbali?) and was not very happy about it. The steamwand with 4 huge holes didn't do it's job well, he said. But the latte art I got was fine to me. Very fine. See pic below.

One more thing - He sells his own coffee, too, in his region in Germany. It's called Crema de Grotto, and he gets it roasted in Italy, according to his demand.

If I wake up in the night because I've forgotten something I will add it, I promise. And now I will get the pictures from my digital camera.
Here are his and Kees homepages:

http://www.la-potenza.com

http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/

This was not a declared interview with Fabian, just some private small talk, I forgot to ask him if I may post his picture here - but I guess as this is a private forum and I am just talking about my experience today - he will forgive me. All things considered I'm making some free promotion for him, and as he is a good looking guy he can't be mad about the photo either :)

Yours
Joey
Attachments
FabiansLatteArt.jpg
Yipiee! That was my melange (mini-latte) Sweet!
FabiansLatteArt.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
Fabian & me.jpg
This pic looks awful! I look like a student hanging on his lips >lol< In fact he had to watch his bar for orders, the waiters did look quite angry sometimes when he wasn't next to the machine }:-/
Fabian & me.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
Kursalon Hübner, Stadtpark.jpg
That's the outdoor part of the café, inside the famous Stadtpark. You see Fabian to the right, waiting for orders...
Kursalon Hübner, Stadtpark.jpg (171.71 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Raf » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:47 am

Ha! I met that guy in Milan. He was giving some critique about Paul Bassett's technique - who wasn't exactly pleased with that ;) I thought he was a strange fellow, but that might have been because of his awkward English...
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby maurice » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:40 am

Joey - nice photos but disappointed to see you not wearing your lemon peel hat...
maurice

Postby Raf » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:00 am

Neku wrote:Ha! I met that guy in Milan. He was giving some critique about Paul Bassett's technique - who wasn't exactly pleased with that ;) I thought he was a strange fellow, but that might have been because of his awkward English...

Come to think of it... 1: It's my English that's weird in the quoted post ;) 2: we spoke German! So it must have been my German as well... :oops:
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:18 pm

Yeah, he is not the guy who talks someones head off (maybe he couldn't becaus I talked a lot, too, he, he) Nah, after the first shy sentences we got along pretty well.
joey
Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:20 pm

maurice wrote:Joey - nice photos but disappointed to see you not wearing your lemon peel hat...
>LOL<
Sorry, mate, only on special occasions :lol:
joey
Joey

Postby gauperaa » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:54 pm

Neku, what exactly did he say about Paul's technique? :)

Thomas.
"Repetition is the mother of learning"
(russian proverb)
gauperaa

Postby Raf » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:39 am

Well, Bassett was playing around with the LM Swift: grinding a bit coarser, overpacking the PF - as opposed to the Italian style (grinding very fine and then using just 7 grams to make an espresso). Of course, his tamp was a lot harder than the Italian style tamp, which is more of a leveling tamp. That's what made Fabian remark that overpacking + gorilla tamping = cold espresso. Bassett (stung): "Say what, mate? *Cold*?" Fabian (unfazed and likeable): "Mmyes, cold". Bassett then proceeded to make a perfect espresso, that Fabian snatched from under my nose (as he had done with tree espressi before!) to proclaim: '"See? It's cold." ;)

Raf
Founder Member

Postby gauperaa » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:41 pm

Funny :).

Btw, I talked with Paul in Firenze and asked him about his technique of overfilling the filter. "The only way do make espresso, mate" :). He certainly has found his style of making coffee. He is very confident and that is probably because of a lot of experimenting and experience.
"Repetition is the mother of learning"
(russian proverb)
gauperaa

Return to Off Topic