Coffee, toilet habits and the European mentality

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Joey » Wed May 19, 2004 8:06 pm

moccafaux wrote:Joey: hugging the bowl once too often, back in the wild years?

Yep. Had to take "a bus ride" ... exept I had to hold my long hair with the left hand, and the toilet-seat with the right hand because it was not staying in the upright position alone. But if you stretch your arm to hold something that has a hole in the middle - well, you get it on your forehead. :roll:
But that was waaaaay in my past :lol:

Change of subject - how was your Italy trip, moccafaux?
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby PeterAG » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:22 pm

Just a thought....
In the Thames the water has been drunk at least seven times before it reaches the sea.....
The Rhine??
The Seine??
Dualit 84009
Dualit Grinder
Heat Gun Roaster

><>
PeterAG

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:22 pm

In an attempt to raise the general tone of this thread :) Anybody interested in toilet design and cultural differences might want to refer to Slavoj Zizek's writings on the subject (there's a brief reference to this on http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n17/zize01_.html but I've known him to talk about this for years). How many of you thought this thread would result in a discussion of psychoanalytical/philosophical thought! :D

On a slightly separate note, I always thought that the American "Soap on a Rope" was an odd invention, till I was camping in the Aoste region of Italy....
You do kind of get used to "turkish" (a small platform with a hole behind) toilets when camping, however, on this occasion, as I turned around to "pull the chain"...
:shock:
there was a shower head.... Now I know about the Japanese having all kinds of "additions" to their toilets, but this was taking things to an extreme!!! On leaving the toilet, I tried the other doors in the sanitary block (those that were unlocked! :wink: ) and realised that all of the toilets had "showers," or rather, all of the showers had in-built toilets! :?
"Soap on a Rope all of a sudden seems like a rather cunning invention, who'd have thought it! :D
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby chrisnotton » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:19 pm

Just to clarify.
This type of toilet is to inspect your ordure for worms. These were very common in populations whose main source of protein was meat or meat products. Most people carried a small benign burden if intestinal parasites without any ill effects.
If you found you had a serious infestation you could then go an see your local herbalist/pharmacist and get your self cured. When there were no more to be seen you could stop taking the medication.
Interestingly latest research has shown that such benign parasite loads are helpfull in supressing auto-immune related diseases and even asthma. This has prompted speculation that our immune system evolved alongside long-tern human parasitisation.
Pip pip
}<////(">
chrisnotton

Postby Joey » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:55 pm

Yikes, that thread still exists...well, let me expand it with one more toilet version I rescently experienced in Bali, Indonesia.
A hole in the floor surrounded by tiles to stand straight, a sink filled with water next to it with a little bucket or a pot hanging into it on a string. (Instead of toilet paper)

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Mathias » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:44 pm

Hugging the bowl LOL

That was a new one for me.I'm used to the "have you been driving the bus again???"
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Postby Mathias » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:48 pm

Ooppss, missed page 2 before posting :oops:
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Postby repko » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:02 pm

Uhm...this toilet issue is easy to explain. A lot of coffee might have a laxative impact on your stomach. So sometimes if the pressure is too high (like in your boiler), there has to be a release.
You'll have to run to the toilet and finally when you sit down, the last thing you want is plashing water hitting your bum, created by the blast. For this reason we invented this type of toilet.
repko

Postby Tonka » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:11 pm

Some of the turds I have done recently definitely deserve inspection. Wish I was German.
Tonka

Previous

Return to Off Topic