It's not just for drinking you know!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

It's not just for drinking you know!

Postby Slimboyfat » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:35 am

My coffee obsession has grown through a love of good food - proper food, heavy on the love.

I have a couple of recipes, which use coffee as an ingredient, so I thought I'd post this to see if anyone else has any other coffee dishes that they like.

My favourite is slow roast leg of lamb (Swedish recipe I think). The lamb is impregnated with a few cloves of garlic and placed in a foil lined roasting tin. The foil is brought up around the meat and a good pint of strong black coffee is poured over it. The foil is sealed and the lamb is slow roasted until very tender - delicious.

The second is a very simple desert (I guess that most coffee based recipes are sweet rather than savoury). Baked whole figs, drenched in a good espresso, with marscapone vanilla cream.

So, let's have some other suggestions please - maybe we could produce a recipe book!

Regards
Slimboy...

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby Keeka » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:31 am

I saw the lamb + coffee combo while I lived in Stockholm - seems to be an old tradition as I found it in a very old swedish cookbook, they mentioned there that the coffee takes away the woolly taste from lamb. Swedes have quite a strong relationship with coffee; perhaps this tradition is from before the days of flown-in spring lamb from NZ and Oz.
Fiorenzato Bricoletta - Mazzer Mini-E/SJ
Keeka

Postby Slimboyfat » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:51 am

I saw the lamb + coffee combo while I lived in Stockholm - seems to be an old tradition as I found it in a very old swedish cookbook, they mentioned there that the coffee takes away the woolly taste from lamb. Swedes have quite a strong relationship with coffee; perhaps this tradition is from before the days of flown-in spring lamb from NZ and Oz.

yes - I think that it would work well with mutton too. It tastes fantastic and the coffee/juices make great gravy!

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby fred25 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:15 am

There's a restaurant in Leeds (Anthony's) that makes an amazing risotto with espresso and parmesan foam. The espresso is at the bottom of the dish, then the risotto and on top the parmesan foam. The tastes marry very well - pretty yummy! :D (and great restaurant too, if not exactly cheap :( ;) )...
fred25

Postby bruceb » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:34 am

I have a recipe for espresso risotto. When I have time I'll look it up and post it here. It's excellent. :-)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby fred25 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:15 pm

Please do, if you can find the time!

I only had it once, but really loved it (it's the reason i went to that awfully expensive restaurant in the first place ), and would equally love to know how to cook it... :)
fred25

Postby frippz » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:44 am

Old recipes of chocolate balls (or the other not-so-politically-correct name for them) includes coffee. Just came up with the idea to use espresso instead. Wonder how that would be? :)

Krups killed my inner child...
frippz

Postby bruceb » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:38 am

I've got a bunch of recipes for espresso in desserts including the "chocolate balls." In fact, whenever a recipe calls for coffee I use espresso (adjusting the volume for strength). I made some espresso ice-cream that was out of this world. I'll do my best to get the recipes up as soon as I can.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lukas » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:57 am

Or the classic Tiramisu ... oh my god, when my fiancee makes this I could die!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Kaz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:10 pm

When whipping up double cream, add a shot of espresso (sweetened to taste - or not). Goes well with chocolate-based cakes/puds.
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:18 pm

I've adapted a recipe from the book 'Coffee' by Banks, McFadden and Atkinson. Their recipe was for 'stuffed prunes', I've substituted stoned dates. I've also swapped espresso for brewed French Press, as I find the flavour more intense.
Ingredients :-
225g stoned dates/ 50ml Armagnac/ 30g ground coffee/ 150 ml double cream/ 350g dark Belgian chocolate/ and 30g of cocoa for dusting.
Method :-
Make slit in dates and pour over Armagnac and leave for 2 hours.
Put coffee and cream in pan and bring almost to the boil, remove from heat and then brew for 4 minutes, then push thru' French Press.
Place 115g of chocolate in bowl and pour over with the hot cream/coffee and stir to a paste, that has the consistency of soft butter.
Put mixture into cake piping bag and pipe into slits in dates - chill for 20 minutes.
Melt remaining choc in bowl over hot water and dip dates, using a fork. When hard, dust with sweetened cocoa powder. Enjoy.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Return to Off Topic