Kitchen - glass or wooden shelf

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kitchen - glass or wooden shelf

Postby mhuk » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 am

Owing to having to move my microwave (not enough head room) I've had to rearrange my kitchen wall units.

This has left a space at the end of a run above the sink. I'm considering glass or wooden shelves (American walnut) mainly for glasses etc. There will be a mirror behind the shelves. Shelves will be 600mm long and above a glass splashback similar to the photo below.

What would you choose? Any photos?

Wooden example:

Glass example - can't find any photos!

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Postby bruceb » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Is the rest of the kitchen similar to the picture?

I like glass, but it requires regular "maintenence" as it shows up dust, fingerprint, water droplets, rings, etc. very quickly. Wood, on the other hand, will become stained if you should put a wet glass on it or if something (milk) runs out of a container, etc. onto it.

I think you will need to decide what goes best with the rest of your kitchen and what appeals to you most.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby mhuk » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:37 pm

It is mainly birch with a little American Walnut. Yes, I'll do what I want in the end- but am asking for opinions as to what you might do :)

The splashbacks are glass so a little extra glass won't make much difference but I hadn't thought of the water/ wood disadvantage.

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Return to Off Topic