Where is everyone?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Where is everyone?

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:25 pm

Whats happened to everyone. Three weeks ago this was a real community, now posting are few and far between.

Now I know phil is tied up with the whole server thing, so lets try and rally round with out "golden Beans" (you know thats going to stick mate sorry ;) ) needing to woop us up.

What shall we do to make us post more? Has any one got some topic they want to discuss. Any ideas to make it more busy. A lot of the time I come on the site there is just me or perhaps someone else.

Where are the 6 members and 5 guests ?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby flozza » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:30 am

For what its worth im still here
flozza

Postby HughF » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:45 pm

I'm working from home but I finished my work way early, oops. Did a couple of Sumatra roasts in the HWP. I need something roasting two or three times as much at once, roasting twice to make six double shots is for the birds. Due to the amount of pets rampaging around the house, I feel I have to pack the HWP away after every roast... Roll on a fully-functioning I-Roast able to roast its full rated capacity hitting the UK - maybe later this year? (I wish it remembered it's user-programmed profile after it is switched off though.) Call me an optimist...

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby alans » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:28 pm

Busy. Today I didn't even get time to read the forum until 3pm! Hopefully work will be quieter next week.
alans

Postby Joey » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:00 pm

Howdy!
Just came back from the US, Honolulu. 8)
Drank some real good blend from the Honolulu Coffee Company. The guys working at their cart were nice and doing their job well. (la marzocco, 2 group - the barista worked very clean - no matter how long it took to make that coffee - he polished every part of the machine after every shot - wow)

Nothing importent new from me, coffeewise. I'm still searching for that perfect location for my coffee speciality shop, and I'm learning for my exam next week. (I think there is a letter missing in the word exam, but I don't know which one...hmmm)

Anyway - I did find "Airmen Beans" yesterday, a candy that has the consistence of licorice, but tastes like coffee. It's an original recipie from south america, where these candies helped pilots to stay awake longer. They are only made of coffee, guarana (some kind of root) and cane sugar. They are also available in a nice wooden box - so I'm going to sell them a a merchandise product in my store. If someone wants to try them

I can send you some - they are like a legal drug :twisted:
www.airmenbeans.com ....for the pictures.
As my husband is a pilot, I will give them to him on his next nightflight, to proof if they really keep one awake much longer :shock: :lol:

greetings, Joey

ps - he is right now in Helsinki - anybody knows a good coffee shop over there? :idea: All I could find in the net was "Robert's Coffee", a chain that sounds at least good.
Thnx
Attachments
airmenbeans.jpg
AirmenBeans
airmenbeans.jpg (10.86 KiB) Viewed 9151 times
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby alans » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:42 pm

Wow, they look very interesting! What are the other ingredients? And do they taste like good coffee?
alans

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:50 pm

Dont hold your breath on the I Roast Hugh. Spoke to the distributor the other day, and they may not be even bothering with it in this country :( . The HWP didnt sell as many as they wanted. They didnt say this was gospel, but they have yet to even see the machine to review it.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:51 pm

Hey Joey! Glad to hear you're still optimistic. I look forward to seeing your coffeeshop when we drive to Italy this summer, so I hope you find a suitable location.

On the topic "where we HasBean" ;) , I've taken a weekend trip with K to Lombardy. A press trip really: three journalists (K, me as photographer and another woman), surrounded by all kinds of "Visit Lombardy' people. Great food (risotto! polenta! affetati! salame! over forty cheeses in one afternoon!), good wine but sadly, bad coffee almost everywhere. I have a feeling that Lombardy is quite into the French/Spanish roast thing.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:08 pm

alans wrote:Wow, they look very interesting! What are the other ingredients? And do they taste like good coffee?

Well, I had to try one again: it's deffinitely a coffee taste, like a chocolate mocca, not too strong though, not sweet at all, licorice without the herb/harsch taste would describe it the best. :?

I would say it's for the dark caramel/cigar/whiskey/licorice/strong espresso people rather then the strawberry ice cream/vanilla/whipped cream/marshmellow types. :roll:
A real he-man candy, no girly stuff :lol:

resume: they are better then no coffee :lol:
I will always have one in my purse...

The ingredients:
Maltsyrup as Sugar, gummi arabicum, coffee-extract 5%, cocoa, guarana extract 2,5% (that's like 7,5% real Guarana = a brasilian liana species), salt, sweetener: acesulfam k & neohesperidin DC, natural flavours, vegetable oil and bee's wax.
100g have:
143 kcal
0 protein
40,8 gr carbohydrates
0 gr sugar
0,6 gr fat
250mg caffeine from the guaranaextract
175 mg caffeine from the coffeeextract

can be laxative when overdosed :twisted:

I just ordered some samples. If you want I can send you some - ups, mine if juft fticking on my gum and I caan't get it offf - ah, got it.
Now I'm hungry - ups - a side effect?!? :lol:
Maybe my jet leg that tells me I should have breakfast now :wink:

See ya.
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby HughF » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:34 pm

Eeffoc wrote:Dont hold your breath on the I Roast Hugh. Spoke to the distributor the other day, and they may not be even bothering with it in this country :( . The HWP didnt sell as many as they wanted. They didnt say this was gospel, but they have yet to even see the machine to review it.

Thanks for the info Eeffoc - even if it's bad news! SM are announcing it's release in the USA should be late April. Maybe I can find one in Europe if it works well for early adopters in the USA using 110Volt versions. Touch wood, my HWP is still running fine. People are rude about the reliability of the HWP but my car has just been in the garage for 3 weeks tracking down an electrical fault that stops it dead with only a few seconds warning while driving along!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:15 pm

Sorry to hear about the car. I like the HWP and think its a fine machine, but I must admit the I Roast promises a lot and it is yet to deliver. The date has sliped so much I wonder what the problem is. If you have something thats good you release it straight away, so why the delay. The UK distributor is also the European one, but if Germany flexes its home roasting muscles we may yet see it.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:13 pm

Eeffoc wrote:Sorry to hear about the car. I like the HWP and think its a fine machine, but I must admit the I Roast promises a lot and it is yet to deliver. The date has slipped so much I wonder what the problem is. If you have something thats good you release it straight away, so why the delay. The UK distributor is also the European one, but if Germany flexes its home roasting muscles we may yet see it.

Thanks, coils replaced now (cracked insulation, known problem but way out of warranty) so I should get the car back this week.
Hearthware UK and European distributor the same and unenthusiastic - Yikes! Where else uses 220 Volts - Australia?!? I heard that some I-Roasts' temperature sensors varied a lot; the crucial problem was not achieving very dark roasts I think, not sure if that was a sensor problem or not though.

Thanks Eeffoc,

Hugh

P.S. How long does your current Yirgacheffe need to rest for french press? I give it 3 days. I sent you a PM on this while helping test the new site but there were email problems on the new site then.
HughF

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:15 pm

Tirg Hugh Give it 3-5 days and should be fine for around 5 days. Any later obviously for the bin. Had some great results with it, mighly impressed comapred to the Djimah I had.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:37 pm

Eeffoc to get back to your original question: Mea Culpa.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Off Topic