Hi,all What best way to de-chalk an ECM Giotto premium

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hi,all What best way to de-chalk an ECM Giotto premium

Postby Espresso_Talent » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:30 pm

Hi, I own a Giotto Premium, what is the the best method for cleaning this machine , I have had it now for 10 monthes, is it time to give it a clean. I don't use it that much for recreational purposes only, I like making coffee.

Any help would by great,

Thanks,

Chris

ECM Giotto Premium
Mazzer Mini Electric
Espresso_Talent

Postby stuartlee » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:00 pm

Hi Chris

I think this page from whole latte love may help

http://www.wholelattelove.com/tips.cfm? ... 439&tcid=3

Stu :wink:
StuartLee
(Mentness)

www.mentness.wordpress.com

San Remo Verona TCS | Mahlkonig K30ES |Mahlkonig Vario | Aeropress | 1 cup Filter station | A growing tamper collection |ACD sample roaster | a bit of a Pumphreys
stuartlee

Postby dingelj » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:10 pm

Although I don't own a Giotto Premium, I have good experience with the dechalker sold by Micave.nl (the Dutch distributor of ECM).

You can see a snapshot of this product on page 35 of their catalog http://www.micave.nl/catalogus/Brochure ... e_site.pdf

Regards, John
Last edited by dingelj on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
dingelj

Postby chemistone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:43 am

The Giotto came with a maintanence card. On that card is a detailed description how to descale it. I use the micave descaling solution and it works fine. I can scan my maintenance card if you don't have any, just let me know. If you don't descale in time you might damage your heater. The scale is acting as thermal insulation, which causes the element to overheat.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby chemistone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:05 am

stuartlee wrote:Hi Chris

I think this page from whole latte love may help

http://www.wholelattelove.com/tips.cfm? ... 439&tcid=3

Stu :wink:

I don't think so.

From the WLL website: Should you descale the ECM Giotto Premium?

The ECM Giotto Premium has a heat exchanger boiler that cannot be descaled. Due to the boiler's design, it would be very difficult to get all of the descaling solution out without having to go so far as removing the boiler and taking it apart. The cleaning process for the Giotto Premium is backflushing with a detergent like Urnex Cafiza. You can learn more about Cafiza and backflushing by following the links below.

:D

You can descale the Giotto. Will post the maint. card tomorrow.

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby stuartlee » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:45 am

Chemistone

Bearing in mind these were tips that users sent in to that website:

"The ECM Giotto Premium has a heat exchanger boiler that cannot be descaled. Due to the boiler's design, it would be very difficult to get all of the descaling solution out without having to go so far as removing the boiler and taking it apart"

I think this applies, although the key word is difficult. The advise is a little contradictory, but as they say every little helps!

He may not need a descale after only 10 months of not using it not that much. Correct me if I'm wrong but it may not help and could create a metalic taste if there is not a scale issue!

Does he filter his water before going into the machine? Whats his water like, hard / soft? I think he should look at these questions before hacking into his machine.

Anyway, doesn't everyone dismantle their espresso machine for a descale or am I just anal?

Hopfully your card will shed some more light on the situation, I look forward to reading the post.
stuartlee

Postby chemistone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:39 pm

There are already a few topics about descaling, see for example this topic:
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... highlight=

Teme is making a few good suggestions in this topic, have a look on his site, the Andreja he is using is almost the same as the Giotto (at least the descaling part). My guess is that most of the scale will be formed on the hottest part, in this case the heating element. Teme has an interesting idea of increasing the water level during descaling. I've done that already, but I don't have a clear idea if it is really necessarily, although it doesn't harm either.

Here is the descaling part of the Giotto maintenance card. I have scanned the complete card as well, but it is too large to post here. PM me if you want it. BTW, it is in Dutch, a good practice for all the non-Dutch here ;). If anyone is interested I can make a translation as well.

Stuartlee is making some good comments about factors influencing the scale build-up.

BTW, I haven't studied the WLL website. I just checked it if there were some helpfull comments on descaling....
Attachments
ontkalken.jpg
Descale Giotto
ontkalken.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 5649 times

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby chemistone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:40 pm

BTW, a Giotto is a great machine for making coffee, it should be used more often! ;) :D

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby dliefbroer » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:24 am

I own a Giotto Classic, but the procedure is relatively simple. You can PM me and we can have a talk over the phone.

I had some great help by Micave, who delivered me spares and decent advise. But perhaps telling me to completely remove the boiler and fill it up with a descaling solution is a bit too much :)

Give me a PM if you want some help/advice.

Dave
ECM Giotto Classic - Mazzer Mini E - Gene Cafe - Bodum French Press - Bialetti 1 cup Moka Pot - Lava Deluxe
dliefbroer

Postby Teme » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:10 pm

I haven't got a Giotto, but the process is the same as for my machine. I posted a few short write-ups on my descaling process here, here and here.

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby chemistone » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm still a bit fiddling with my second Giotto. When I removed the over pressure valve I had a look inside. I've descaled it last week and all the scale is gone. I used the method described in my previous post and it seems to work fine.

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Return to Off Topic