Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby chemistone » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:30 am

akallio wrote:
Aadje wrote:
Joris wrote:Isn't whisky the stuff you mix with cola ?? :twisted:

You bastard! You infidel!

As a punishment from blasphemy, three weeks of instant coffee is issued. Sounds fair?

I know, no rules at TMC, but please don't feed the Trolls...
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby doristori » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:57 pm

Not a big fan of Whisky but with a good cup it is very well drinkable, I am more of a Cognac type, a good Camus XO Napoleon is something that makes me very thirsty.
NS Oscar with a NS Grinta grinder and fresh roasts from a local coffeehouse.
doristori

Postby Aadje » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:18 am

And that will cost about how mucht euros/pounds/dollars?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby akallio » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:59 am

doristori wrote:Not a big fan of Whisky but with a good cup it is very well drinkable, I am more of a Cognac type, a good Camus XO Napoleon is something that makes me very thirsty.

Eventhough being a whisky person I also enjoy good cognac. My favourite is Maxime Trijol XO, but really can't brag about my knowledge on that area. Proper cognac tends to be quite expensive: enjoyable bottle costs you 60 euros here, as enjoyable whisky is only 40 euros.

What I really don't get is the coffee and cognac thing. Here coffee is very light roasted, so very sour. It does not combine at all with cocnag, which is sour also. Add to that the fat bottomed cognac glass which in my opinion brings only ethanol to your nose and ruins the taste. It's a bit different in France where coffee is very dark and hence combines a lot better with cognac, I reckon.
Using Brewtus II, Minimoka, I-Roast & other stuff
akallio

Postby ubo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Don't post here that often but couldn't resist the topic. I spent most of my childhood and teenage years on Islay and did my final year dissertation on the impact of lipids on sulphur compounds in maturation on Lagavuillin whiskey. There are some amazing private bottlings out their which can be good value for money versus some of the more sedate mainstream offerings from the distillers themselves (I bought into one such cask in a small way a few years ago with my father but it's all gone now).

Did an interesting project last summer for the Scotch Malt Whiskey Association blind tasting one of their private bottlings as part of design / copywriting project they set up as part of this (http://www.smws.co.uk/26malts/) project. Basically the idea was to come up with some sensory notes from a non-whiskey point of view. Very pleasant evening getting stuck into the sample over dinner at the SMWA in Queen St.
ubo

Postby nickr » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:36 pm

5year old Ardbeg - they make a big thing of it being young - BRILLANT,BRILLANT,BRILLANT is all I can say and only about £25 and better than the 10 year old.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby doristori » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 pm

Aadje wrote:And that will cost about how mucht euros/pounds/dollars?

Here in Iceland around €140
doristori

Postby doristori » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:47 pm

akallio wrote:
doristori wrote:Not a big fan of Whisky but with a good cup it is very well drinkable, I am more of a Cognac type, a good Camus XO Napoleon is something that makes me very thirsty.

Eventhough being a whisky person I also enjoy good cognac. My favourite is Maxime Trijol XO, but really can't brag about my knowledge on that area. Proper cognac tends to be quite expensive: enjoyable bottle costs you 60 euros here, as enjoyable whisky is only 40 euros.

What I really don't get is the coffee and cognac thing. Here coffee is very light roasted, so very sour. It does not combine at all with cocnag, which is sour also. Add to that the fat bottomed cognac glass which in my opinion brings only ethanol to your nose and ruins the taste. It's a bit different in France where coffee is very dark and hence combines a lot better with cognac, I reckon.

If I am having coffee and cognac I always go for a very dark french roast. Goes perfect together after a nice meal.
doristori

Previous

Return to Off Topic