Lets talk about . . . Whisky

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:48 am

Edradour is my favourite so far. These were my previous favourite and Bushmills 10yo sm (yeah, yeah, it's Irish). I'm looking forward to trying this one and this one next :)

One for the coffee lover? ;)

One day, when I win the 'big' lottery or a an unexpected inheritance as the sole beneficiary to a long-lost multi-billionaire relative, I might try this one :shock: if it's still available then :roll:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Jacob » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:56 am

Unfortunately I am down to 18 half empty bottles of single malts :cry: Not traveling nearly enough these days (all of them tax free). I think I had 25 different bottles at one time. Big problem: Which one to drink :)

Islay are my favorites. Once got hold of a wonderful Ardbeg called Mariner (15yr). Unfortunately I've drunk all of it and haven't been able to find it again.
Jacob

Postby Paul L » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:59 am

I've never really understood whisky and I've certainly tried. I was 17 when my Brother married and his Father-in-Law was a hardened Scot. We shared about 1 1/2 bottles of something or other when I was already pissed. I'm amazed I did not die, it took me 3 days to recover and it was another 20 years before I allowed Whisky anywhere near my lips.

I finally conquered the involuntary wish to empty my stomach but can't pretend I enjoy it. If I'm absolutely pissed off though a shot of Scotch seems to hit the right spot like nothing else. I'm basically tee-total though simply because I don't seem to enjoy alcohol. Either cursed or lucky I guess depending on how you look at it.

I had a fascinating conversation with an 'expert' though about 6 years ago when wanting to buy something special for a good friend. Whether actually true or not, I learned that the purists who consider that 'adding water to their whisky is sacrilege' are misguided as the distillation process by it's very nature is a process of dehydration and rehydration. Water has therefore been added and so adding water in the glass is not the insult it first appears.

Allegedly, for this reason the cask strength whiskies retain more flavour and it is reputedly better to drink cask strength with water (if necessary) than ordinary strength without water.

Optimum age (of the whisky, not the drinker!) is arguable and this chap said 15 to 18 years. "Below 12 years the maturing process is incomplete and 21 years should be the absolute tops only because no further changes take place. Paying a fortune for older whiskies is allegedly only nostalgia, illusion, deteriorating quality and thankfully that combination of deep pockets and willingness to pay. I have no idea how much of this is true but it was fascinating to listen to.

Also about 6 years ago, a bunch of us clubbed together for a present for someone and I sourced a top class speyside malt for her. She insisted in our all trying it, mt heart sank. Peaty kind of thing which would clearly appeal to some TMCers, I struggled to drink it, not my taste at all.

My mate similarly insistend on my sharing a glass of the cask strength something-or-other I mentioned earlier. Strong certainly but it was clearly a class act.

I hope never to be forced to drink whisky again but if I must then I will be guided by the eclectic mix of all of the above comments and will try to make it something cask strength and non-peaty as a result.
Paul L

Postby Mathias » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:17 am

That is one good thing about France, the price of whisky :D Here one can find a Lagavulin 16yo for around 38 euros 8)

Some years ago the swedsih Systembolaget sold Ardbeg 1974 for as low as 45 euros if I remember correct. Although the price went up it was still very good. The problem is it tastes soo good the bottles don't last very long ones they are opened. Still got one though 8)
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Postby Aadje » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:57 am

Jacob wrote:Once got hold of a wonderful Ardbeg called Mariner (15yr). Unfortunately I've drunk all of it and haven't been able to find it again.

I don't know about an 15yo Arbeg Mariner, there is a Bowmore 15yo called Mariner, I think you mean this one:

Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:06 am

Gorgeous bottle! have you had any? How do you like it? Image
bruceb

Postby Jacob » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:15 am

Aadje wrote:I don't know about an 15yo Arbeg Mariner, there is a Bowmore 15yo called Mariner,

Argh! Of course I do. Still an excelent malt though. And so is Ardbeg.
Jacob

Postby Aadje » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:26 am

Tasted this one at the Bowmore distillery, imho the best quite affordable Bowmore there is; the casks are stored near the sea, closer by then other Bowmore casks, that's why it's called Mariner: salty and peaty :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Joris » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:58 am

Isn't whisky the stuff you mix with cola ?? :twisted:
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Aadje » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 am

Joris wrote:Isn't whisky the stuff you mix with cola ?? :twisted:

You bastard! You infidel!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby akallio » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:23 am

Aadje wrote:
Joris wrote:Isn't whisky the stuff you mix with cola ?? :twisted:

You bastard! You infidel!

As a punishment from blasphemy, three weeks of instant coffee is issued. Sounds fair?
Using Brewtus II, Minimoka, I-Roast & other stuff
akallio

Postby Joris » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:44 am

I say forcefeed him instant coffee mixed with malt whisky for 3 weeks... :twisted:
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby chemistone » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:51 am

Mathias wrote:That is only good thing about France, the price of whisky :D Here one can find a Lagavulin 16yo for around 38 euros 8)

Got mine for €25 at the taxfree shop. :D
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby Aadje » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:07 pm

Joris wrote:I say forcefeed him instant coffee mixed with malt whisky for 3 weeks... :twisted:

who, me?! I wasn't the one talkin bout mixin drams with coke! You should be force feeded some instant coffee, or better: instand cappas :twisted:
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:38 pm

Camp Coffee and Coffee Mate anyone? :shock: Mmmm, smell that chicory! :?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic