Coffeegeeks

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffeegeeks

Postby Raf » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:04 am

Does anyone else have the impression that coffeegeeks tend to be in their fifties, be perfectionistic, slightly egotistical, a bit rough around the edges and a little "take it or leave it"?

(DISCLAIMER Phil, I'm not talking about you!)

Take Randy G., for example, and take Danny "sitting in a field", or your friend Charlie: they all do business in a way that seems to indicate: either we do it my way, or you can fuck off. Danny won't answer any more of my e-mails about the Malabar Gold*. Randy loves nothing better than to talk about himself. Charlie scolds his customers. Steve, I think there's a lot of potential for someone who's just plain friendly to his customers! THere's a few others on a.c who fit the profile: Ken Fox is one.

Anyone else notice this?

(*and BTW, Steve: did you hear from Dr. JOhn yet?)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Hey!!

Postby phil » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:32 am

I'm not in my fifties !

Yet, anyway. OK, I'm 50 at the end of next month, going on about 17 sometimes.

Danny not talking to you? Yeah, well I had the same experience for a while and then he came up with the goods. To be fair I think he is very tied up with his business plans, but he entered into this MG business to make a profit and should behave accordingly.

Neku, I've just sent you an email. I'll come clean - I was intending to send you a batch of MG, roasted in the Hottop, as a consolation for you working so hard and not having time to roast your own. Will you have time to drink it if I do?
Last edited by phil on Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Founder Member

Age??

Postby phil » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:52 pm

On a case basis :

CM - yeah well you'll hear no arguments from me. I don't know if he's in his fifties or not, but if he isn't he's not far off.

Danny - well I don't think he realises that people expect him to behave in a commercially reasonable fashion because he's a business making a profit. He's totally focussed on his business expansion plans. If MG is a goer, Steve needs to take the greens business off him as Danny clearly has trouble walking and chewing gum (LBJ re Gerald Ford for those too young to remember). And is he actually that age? I have no idea, but my visits to a.c tend to be a bit fleeting.

Randy - again, how do you know his age? And in his case I don't have the impression that he wanted to set up a business as such. I thought he just wanted to do a few alties a favour and, he had a good "in" with Hottop to help him pull it off. With that as a given, I think his response to people he didn't recognise (fuck off, you aren't one of the people I'm doing this as a favour for) seems reasonable.
phil
Founder Member

Fifties?!

Postby DrZeus » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:12 pm

Holy smokes! (coffee-roasting smoke, naturally)

Fifties?! My 35th birthday is in January, and I'm about the most undisciplined, childish person you've ever met. :) I've actually done a 180 as I've gotten older: college-educated, worked with the suits, making good money...started working from home as a Web Developer...quit and became a Stay-at-home dad (where I discovered the hobby of roasting coffee)...sold everything and moved to Portugal with my wife and 6 year-old son. :)

Gonna roast coffee and sell it at street fairs and in a small bean store. I feel so...bohemian! :wink:
DrZeus

Coffeegeeks.... hi

Postby HughF » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:49 pm

Just joined so here's my sixpennyworth : I'm 44, work in IT, presently doing odds and sods of Web/database work from home (email for site details if curious).

Re Neku's list :

in their fifties - No
be perfectionistic - In some areas - e.g. 0.1 gram scales for ground coffee
slightly egotistical - Sometimes, especially work
a bit rough around the edges - Judge for yourself!
and a little "take it or leave it" - Sometimes, only where I really think I know stuff, mainly at work- not espresso.

I've only brewed espresso since February (Gaggia Carezza, to try making espresso without spending a fortune) but roasted in a haphazard way for over 2 years in my Hearthware Precision, for French Press. Was using Solis 166 grinder, now Rocky Doserless since March. When the flow of work gets more reliable I'm dreaming of a Wega Mininova with rotary pump, fully plumbed in, probably from Pennine Tea and Coffee.

Cheers,

Hugh
HughF

Return to Off Topic