Gadgets

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:04 am

Well , I don't use wireless networks at home, I certainly don't do internet banking, never use my debit card details online, hide my pin number at machines etc... so am in agreement on the end user taking precautions, BUT what I find reprehensible is the banks using technologies like chip and pin and internet banking to protect themselves from liability and provide better returns to their shareholders while claiming it is for the customers protection!
Most home computer users are barely literate, let alone computer literate (present company of course excepted!!) and won't even know they need to protect their end of the system without being told, they believe the banks when they say the system is "secure".
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby leecb » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:13 am

I agree completely about the networking via a router, thats what we use!
As for AOL, don't get me started...
As far as these security technologies are concerned I think most people don't really understand how the internet works, let alone how they can be attacked and therefore don't see the need to protect themselves behind a firewall, which is only effective if they constantly upgrade and maintain it....
see my point???
Any company that promises protection is being disingenuous as people must learn to protect themselves as you say, but someone needs to tell them that and how to do it!!

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:17 pm

I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement about most of this... the tricky thing is, it would seem we're back down to an issue similar to that of the liability thread... I agree that Banks should inform their clients of the risks involved (of course if they did, it would scare a lot of people off), however, who should really be obliged to educate users? Car manufacturers don't have to guarantee that only those who know how to handle the vehicle will actually be able to drive it. Can we really hold ISP's responsible? Well, to a degree, maybe we should for some aspects, such as spam and virus management.... but home wireless security? That's a whole other ball game. Even if hardware manufacturers and software developers were to tell the average home user of the risks, I'm still not sure they would be capable of managing the situation :roll: Frankly, it's a sorry state of affairs, and I don't see it getting any better, any time soon :cry:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Absolutely Dom, it is a sorry state. I also see your point about where the responsibility should be in respect of education, however, we have all (I hope :shock: ) had driver training and are aware of the risks, whereas networking is a technical discipline requiring a degree of professionalism or alternatively "geekism" . I would argue that unless the providers are prepared to offer some form of training, they should at least be responsible for pointing out the risks as opposed to marketing solely the benefits which they perceive will produce more revenue, and indeed may do so at the expense of some trusting consumer who is totally unaware of the risks. In my view, marketing a complex hi-tech service as plug and play without pointing out the risks is immoral.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:59 pm

Here Here!

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Joris » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:15 am

As someone who even uses cisco pix shait at home for security I won't say anything ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby AlanP » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:38 pm

Invasion of the computer hackers
:x Interview with a hacker
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press