Another Steve in MWSF

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Another Steve in MWSF

Postby zix » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:44 pm

All you mac users on TMC, Steve (Jobs) has held his keynote now. Haven't seen the quicktime stream yet, but I do know what daddy wants! Even more than a new grinder (er, well...) The new powerbook **droool**. For all of you that (like me) have been waiting for this the last year or so, the quicktime stream is here at last: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf06/

P.S. No, it doesn't make espresso. But you can hold your cup up to the built-in web camera if your chat friend wants to see how nice and thick your crema is... D.S.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby lukas » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:08 pm

He, it's "MacBook Pro" now :). What a name ...
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:30 pm

I'm a mac baby, just trying to let go of windoze and become 100% mac
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zix » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:18 am

Absolutely correct, lukas - macBook Pro. Quote Steve J.: "because we´re kinda done with 'Power'..." (PowerPC was the processor family name for the G3/G4 processors that has been inside the macs from 1998 until now - the G3:s are gone but the last G4:s still live in the Mac Mini and in the late Powerbooks)

I would think the time has come to consider going 100% mac at last... not if you are a gamer though.
This Apple change to Intel processors is a big thingy, but I don't know what, if anything, it means to people that own and want to be able to continue using windows applications. Will we be able to buy a Mac machine with the new Jonah processors, when they arrive, and install Windows on one partition and OS X on the other? That would be glorious for some (including me), but less interesting for many others. Gamers, for example, who spend more money on new graphics cards in a year than I do on coffee, couldn't care less for an iMac. Media center geeks don't need two operating systems either. Hmmm...
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:56 am

Steve wrote:I'm a mac baby, just trying to let go of windoze and become 100% mac

Hey, nice ! :)
If you ever need help, just ask :)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Beanie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:49 am

Noooo..no..no..no..no...no.... just made the switch... 11-day old powerbook.... 11 days of sheer joy... 11 days of ignorant bliss... 11 days of... *sigh*... cruel cruel man. Guess I should've perused the "news" section a little better :(
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby badwolf » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:22 am

Bean_Believer wrote:Guess I should've perused the "news" section a little better

i can't believe your supplier wasn't aware of the impending new releases

if i was you, and unhappy with the situation, i would be having a conversation with the dealer

with the right approach you might be able to work something out

depends where you bought it i suppose :?
badwolf

Postby Steve » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:48 pm

Cheers Stephane, you may regret that.

I've managed to virutally do everything apart from find an FTP program with the two winows (my computer and server) and get my phone to sync with the mac (dam windoze mobile phone:( )

Any help would be cool.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:48 pm

Steve wrote:Cheers Stephane, you may regret that.

I've managed to virutally do everything apart from find an FTP program with the two winows (my computer and server) and get my phone to sync with the mac (dam windoze mobile phone:( )

Any help would be cool.

Steve

The perfect FTP tool you are looking for is : Transmit.
Then there are others, going from the good old "fetch", to the six blade knife "interarchy" and even the "ftp" unix command line (but I don't want to kill you before you get the new daterra crop).
About the phone, it just depends of the type. Can you tell more about it ?
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:17 pm

badwolf wrote:
Bean_Believer wrote:Guess I should've perused the "news" section a little better

i can't believe your supplier wasn't aware of the impending new releases

if i was you, and unhappy with the situation, i would be having a conversation with the dealer

with the right approach you might be able to work something out

depends where you bought it i suppose :?

Well it's not exactly like that :)
Rumors were saying Mac Mini and iBook. And only iMac and PowerBook made the switch. And the roadmap was a 2 years transition time, where people thought pro platform would switch later waiting for the release of massive apps, like Adobe, Microsoft and Quark suites.
Apple decided to reduce the transition time to 1 year and switch at first the mainstream Mac which is iMac and the notebook that really needed it bad.
And above all that, there is another thing really unclear. Mac OS X runs natively on Intel as well as iLife suite, apple pro apps will be native in 2 months but 99% of all the apps on Mac will run emulated if they can (most of them can of course) until they're built in universal binaries (PowerPC/Intel code in the same application). Emulation means slower, really slower, whatever Steve's distorsion field level is :)
Another big point is drivers.... They HAVE TO be rewritten, this means they don't run in emulation mode, so if the driver is not rewritten, you won't be able to use your peripheral, except if the driver is standard and part of the OS (like camera drivers to download digital photos on the machine). Depending on the material you have, the drive may be already present, or will be soon, or will be some day, or will be sold and won't exist.
Last point, autonomy, it is the first time Apple does not give autonomy of the notebook... What does that mean ?

So, in my opinion, it is urgent to wait.

Of course, it is unpleasant to buy a machine and see it replaced (well it's not replaced, Powerbooks are still sold) a few days after but buying right now a Macintel, for a switcher, is not the best experience, imho.

All that said, apple went from 68K to PowerPC and from MacOS 9 to MacOS X (which is a wayyyyyyy bigger change than processors) and developers and industry always followed. Nowadays, these kind of changes are even simplier to do, so transition will be fast.

Conclusion : Today I wouldn't buy a PowerPC, neither I'd buy a Macintel, I'd wait april.
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby badwolf » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:42 pm

MKSwing wrote:So, in my opinion, it is urgent to wait.

stephane

in all honesty i agree

i'm still very happy with my G3 iMac and G4 iBook and in no hurry to upgrade

but i can understand how someone might be a little upset to spend good money only to have their new purchase suddenly become 'old' overnight

cheers

john
badwolf

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:55 pm

badwolf wrote:but i can understand how someone might be a little upset to spend good money only to have their new purchase suddenly become 'old' overnight

Of course. :?
By the way, I bought an iMac G5 20" in december...
But it's a so great machine, I have difficulties to get angry. And it was a calculated step. I changed from a 667 powerbook and didn't want to spend a lot of money, I just wanted a machine that would make me let the time to wait for the second generation of Macintels. And this machine is perfect for that.
The powerbook gets old but will still perform very well and all the apps built from now on have universal binaries, I think intel only mode is not an option.
So yes, it is raging and the reseller should have said wait until 11th january but it's still a cool machine. And with the new ilife+.Mac (kind of pricey though).... WOOOOOW !
Stephane Cataldi
MKSwing

Postby badwolf » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:42 pm

it's a bit of an old chestnut i know but i there's never a right time to buy

next year it's always twice the speed and half the price

on top of which there's always the feeling that you've unwittingly agreed to do a bit of beta testing

'what is old is good' as harold pinter wrote

i have to believe that at my age :lol:
badwolf

Return to Off Topic