A nice coffee story...

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A nice coffee story...

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Well there I was purchasing a coffe at a stall today and I asked the 'Barista' what beans he was using. Got the usual blank look...He pulled out a foil bag stamped 'BB's finest Arabica'. 'Does that help?' he asked 'No' Said I 'Not to worry though'.

Anyway an elderly gent stood next to me and said 'I have a coffee story....' and it went something like this:

"When I was in Arabia, I stayed with Bedouins in the desert. Coffe making was a real ritual. Their whole process started with a click of the fingers. The mans wife would come with a pouch full of beans that was on a cord around her wist. He would then put them in a frying pan and roast them over a fire. After that he would get his bowl and cruch them. As he did this he would tap out a rhythm. Every man in the tribe had his own rhythm so they all knew that 'Joe' was doing a brew!

NExt he would boil it up in a little pot. After a few minutes he would put it in another one that has cardemon in it and boil it again. He would then get some date palm husk to use as a filter and pour the coffee into a cup ike that one (a demitasse).

He would only fill it half way so that you did not burn your fingers when you pick it up. You could tell if he was annoyed with someone because he would fill it up to the brim so they woul scould their fingers!"

At that he went to sit with his wife. Just a short nice story that lifted my day.
:D
espressomattic

Postby mhuk » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:01 pm

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Postby Olings » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:55 am

Sometimes it pays to actually listen to the stories the old folks tell. :lol:

Nice on Espressomattic!

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Re: A nice coffee story...

Postby MKSwing » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:56 am

espressomattic wrote:Their whole process started with a click of the fingers. The mans wife would come with a pouch full of beans that was on a cord around her wist.

Best story ever 8)
I want a coffee tank like that :lol:

Ok, I'll get my coat.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Terje » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:04 pm

Sounds a bit like when I make coffee. I get up in the morning and start the process by choosing what beans to raost. I put just enough for what I'm going to brew in the frying pan and roast away.

I think this tastes better than any other coffee I've tried. I think the frying pan beats the oven.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby espressomattic » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:50 pm

I remember being with Beduoins in Isreal and getting all excited about the coffee making and I was given a cup of mint tea from a packet!!!!!! :(
espressomattic

Postby Ian » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:18 am

If you fly over the Sahara at night, you see what looks like a mirror image of the sky on the ground i.e. looks like stars twinkling. It's the Bedouin's camp fires.

Now I know what they are doing.

Cheers
Ian

Return to Off Topic