Growing Coffee Tree - Any information?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Growing Coffee Tree - Any information?

Postby sdelgran » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:48 am

My dream is to one day get a single cup from my home-grown tree... It will probably never happen, but I still want to try before given up!

Anyway, I have quite a number of beans that were able to sprout. They have been growing nicely for a couple days, and I am just about to plant them in a pot.

I just happen to be in Johanesburg/South Africa for the rest of the year (I hope I still qualify for posting on TMC as there are no African forum!!!). As you know, the altitude is quite high (1,700m) and we get a lot of sun everyday. Now, I don't see any coffee tree around (but 400 km up-noth I have seen many) which might be because of the somewhat cold winter down here... I'll get the trees in the room during winter.

Any advice anybody? I know there are Arabica coffee trees in Paris and Amsterdam, so it should be possible to grow one here with proper care! :wink:
Machines: Pasquini Livia 90 | Brasilia Club | Gaggia Mini
Grinders: Pasquini Moka 90 | Brasilia BDF | Compak K6
Roasters: Turbo Crazy | Modded Popper
sdelgran

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:11 pm

sdelgran wrote
As you know, the altitude is quite high (1,700m) and we get a lot of sun everyday. Now, I don't see any coffee tree around (but 400 km up-noth I have seen many)

I believe you need heat, humidity and shade. I think plantations grow alternate rows of coffee, with taller growing native plants. Might also pay you to get some 'robusta' seed, as this is more tolerant to climate - and you could blend it. Good luck.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby mhuk » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:04 pm

w w w .thegardenhelper.com/coffee.html

w w w .coffeeresearch.org/coffee/homegrowing.htm

and more on Google with "how to grow a coffee tree" ;)

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Postby BazBean » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:28 pm

Wow Sd.... now thats what i call a project. the whole idea sounds absolutely fantstic.( i think i am becoming a little too romantic with this whole coffee journey stuff ... :lol: ), i hope it all turns out. keep us posted.
BazBean

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:33 pm

There are coffee trees in Stafford too (ok its very small and wont ever harvest but its still alive 18 months from sprouting).

Its the cold that will get them mine is an indoor plant but even a slight frost will kill it off

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby BazBean » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:40 pm

Could coffee be grown via hydroponics ?? ok before you ask i saw a DVD where they grew pot with the lights etc :shock: . not that i will be trying hmmmmmmmm, :roll: yep, not that i will be trying but hypothetically, is it possible without the altitude?. mind you they did grow it in the loft so that is quite high :lol: :lol:
BazBean

Postby kingseven » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:59 pm

I think the problem with actually drinking home grown coffee is firstly imitating a rainy season to trigger flowering, and then polinating those flowers so they become fruit.

They grow quite quick and do look cool. I think the ones in Mercanta have outgrown their pots and the window ledge!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby sdelgran » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:29 am

Hey thanks!!!

I think the problem with actually drinking home grown coffee is firstly imitating a rainy season to trigger flowering, and then polinating those flowers so they become fruit.

Will do!

Some of the references, say I will have to wait 4 years... That's fine. I'll keep you posted. ;)

Sorry for not researching a lot further before asking, but I have a slow dial-up connection here. Reading the forum is my one stop on the Web. Sad...
Machines: Pasquini Livia 90 | Brasilia Club | Gaggia Mini
Grinders: Pasquini Moka 90 | Brasilia BDF | Compak K6
Roasters: Turbo Crazy | Modded Popper
sdelgran

Postby mattmills » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:30 pm

Check out the ones at the Eden project.... ok they are cheating a little but very nice.

Just to be smug, I have 4 plants in the garden of my office :wink:
mattmills

Postby Steve » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:44 pm

:(
Steve
Founder Member

Postby anette » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Matt you smug bastard. Have the plants, want the garden!
How you doing anyway?

I once planted some 4 month old beans in parchment, germinated after about six weeks. Such a pain waiting that long, keepind them moist while waiting for anything to happen!!!
I guess my impatience is partly the reason for the fact that they are no more, that and my naturally un-nurturing nature.
anette

Postby mattmills » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:38 am

Me smug..... well i never :wink:
All good out here thanks, coming to the end of the Tanz season and getting ready for the Kenya Main crop! Going to be a hetic season!!

Anette... you impatient i refuse to belive it.

Best tip for growing coffee. Move to a tropical climate!!

Will try to get a pic of the ones in the garden
mattmills

Postby Steve » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:09 pm

You get the pic I'm going to sulk big style. And you notice no one from TMC has been invited to stop with Matt ;) Next TMC meet up at your place, I'll be there :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby quink » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:17 pm

http://www.davids-exoticplants.co.uk/Otherexotics1.htm

I may have posted this before, but they are UK based and at the moment have arabica seedlings on the website at 6 in tall for £29, and 6ft and in fruit for £250. So it can be done.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Return to Off Topic