Coffee & upset tummy?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee & upset tummy?

Postby BazBean » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:21 pm

Serious one guys..

since i started home roasting the mrs has developed an upset tummy (with the obvious results, sorry but serious question) the morning after every time she trys a coffee? to the point where she has decided to pass on my lovely cuppas. :?
anybody have an idea as to why this may be happening? drinking b4 degassed for example?

she swears this is not an excuse to spare my delicate ego and feelings as she genuinly likes the tastes on offer ??? please, please help if she is not addicted how da heck can i upgrade with impunity ??? (gulp) :shock:

Barry
BazBean

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:10 pm

I've had heartburn from some types of coffee in the past, so I just tend to avoid them. That said, I'm currently about as unhealthy as you can get.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:31 pm

Dom, I can get a problem when travelling if I have only coffee inside me. I have also experienced some slight issues with extremely freshly roasted coffee (nothing like as bad as you appear to be eluding to), so I now always make sure all coffee roasts are three days old before I touch them, which supports your degassing thought.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:40 pm

Coffee is not good on an empty stomach for sure.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:50 pm

Basbean wrote
since i started home roasting the mrs has developed an upset tummy

I remember reading elsewhere, that a number of people cured this prob, with a water 'chaser', say half cup.HTH
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:57 pm

cumberpach wrote:Basbean wrote
since i started home roasting the mrs has developed an upset tummy

I remember reading elsewhere, that a number of people cured this prob, with a water 'chaser', say half cup.HTH
Quentin

Interesting Quentin, as water tends to settle my stomach if I just have one too many shots. Had never thought of it consciously before.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:04 pm

do you often make a point of thinking about things subconsciously then? ;-)
Nb. dairy products are not always good for digestion either (complicated subject, and a bit of a catch 22, so won't go into detail here)
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:06 pm

gouezeri wrote:do you often make a point of thinking about things subconsciously then? ;-)
Nb. dairy products are not always good for digestion either (complicated subject, and a bit of a catch 22, so won't go into detail here)
D

Let me think about that when I'm not thinking, hmmmmmmm :roll: :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby gruff » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Caffeine is a naturally occurring xanthine, and acts as a respiratory stimulant and nervous system stimulant. Well recognized side effects include increased gastro-intestinal activity! As with any drug, the degree of sensitivity will vary from person to person. However, the average espresso contains 30-50mg caffeine/oz (ie 60-100mg/double). Many cups of instant contain as much or more caffeine, so if Mrs B's problem was being caused by the caffeine you would expect a similar reaction to other forms of caffeine. Doesn't answer the question I'm afraid, but here endeth the lecture on caffeine pharmacokinetics :)
gruff

Postby BazBean » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:36 pm

Thanks for the replys so far everybody........
just decided .........gona get a new wife instead...simple really!!!!!! :D
BazBean

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:50 pm

:lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:39 pm

LOL

:)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby motoman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:14 pm

There are some people who are alergic to coffee, of course we do not acknowledge the existence of these people so no one is alergic to coffee.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:55 am

motoman wrote:There are some people who are alergic to coffee, of course we do not acknowledge the existence of these people so no one is alergic to coffee.

I think they are called $bucks customers.

"A skinny decaf chaff gaff please with a dollop of egg nog syrup in one of your best festive paper cups please vending machine operator"

"Would you like an extra shot in that so you can actually taste something?"

"Oh, yes please, and what a bargain at just under three pounds!" :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Return to Off Topic