How much would/should you pay for good coffee?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:14 am

gouezeri wrote:I can find most of what I need from Mr L. But I am always open to suggestions from other people.

Me too, but we need to keep others in mind for others sake who may have different tastes, and I'm sure Mr L. likes to keep things impartial here on TMC, so I feel we should mention other roasters too when they warrant it.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:16 am

Indeed :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:23 am

Errr... see the other thread... people are posting what beans they are drinking, but not where they are from :roll: can't say I don't try! :P
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:30 am

can't say I don't try!

No, I've heard you are always trying, very trying :wink:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:52 am

you been talking to Phil again :roll: :P
Gouezeri

Postby jameso » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:09 am

can't say I don't try!

Some of us are giving non-Staffs suppliers in aforementioned thread. You're efforts aren't wasted Dom!

you been talking to Phil again

Are you saying that is a bad thing then? :wink:
jameso

Postby zix » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:46 am

I think (sorry for being boring, you know I usually drive off-topic as often as anyone here) that the micro roaster idea is basically very good. All small companies must be good to their customers, this is their way of surviving. So they will want high quality beans, and they can keep roasted quantities down.
But: how about the trading? As far as I know (which would be about up to Steve´s ankles) most of the power in the coffee business lies in the hands of the usual suspects: Nestlé, Kraft, Procter&Gamble and so on. Perhaps we would need cooperatives on the roaster/green bean buyer side too?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:52 am

I'm not sure I follow your point Zix.

The great thing about micro roasting at the moment is the ties with programs such as CofE which essentially cuts out the middle men and takes a lot of the power away from the big boys and distributes it much more fairly. And, IMHO, ends up in a better deal for everyone; farmer, roaster and consumer.
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:42 am

The buying power is shifting, certainly in America and to an extent here, the micro roasters have no problems working together to buy lots (not just COE which is a really good example of rival companies working together) but buying whole farmers lots cutting out importers exporters and markets, after building these relationships.

But the second way power is moving away from the big four is by working with importers who can pull micro roasters together to get great coffee, with a good deal for all. The "big four" just want to buy cheap Vietnamese or scrapings of the floor from brazil, and have little interest in the specialty lots as they cant make there cuts for their shareholders. When there are people like you guys will pay a premium for quality it makes life easier for people like me to source great quality coffee at a good price for everyone.

But as Dom said COE has done so much for this moment towards taking power away from the bigun's.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:06 am

Steve wrote:When there are people like you guys will pay a premium for quality it makes life easier for people like me to source great quality coffee at a good price for everyone.
Steve

Heh, get to argue with Steve :wink:
I really don't feel I'm paying any "premium" at all (and I think Steve charges me the same as everyone else :wink:). Personally, I think I'm getting quality and value for money (though buying greens in bulk helps). If I was to buy my coffee from a supermarket, it would cost me 2-3 quid for something of mediocre quality at best (vis-a-vis bean quality and freshness). The only cost which I don't like is postage (old hat here). A premium is what you pay for branded organic products in supermarkets!
:P
D
Though maybe I should be checking the prices I pay against everyone else, in case there's a "Dom tax" :lol:
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:04 pm

I shouldnt worry every one charges a "Dom" tax :)

Postage sucks, I'm with you there brother :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:15 pm

Steve wrote:Postage sucks, I'm with you there brother :)

Cheaper than driving to Stafford though :wink:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Beanie » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:41 am

simonp wrote:Cheaper than driving to Stafford though :wink:

Hmm... depends on #kg ordered & where from. My last order was 60-65% of green costs = next time, I'll fly down to pick up an order that size. Steve, get ready for my grand tour/mini-apprenticeship in the new year :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby BazBean » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:13 am

The buying power is shifting, certainly in America and to an extent here, the micro roasters have no problems working together to buy lots (not just COE which is a really good example of rival companies working together) but buying whole farmers lots cutting out importers exporters and markets, after building these relationships.

does this mean that prices from Green suppliers are likely to be drivern down rather than up in the future or to filter in the fair trade cenario, does this mean the growers are given a much better price for harvest rather than a greater margin for the wholsalers? i ask this not because i think wholsalers should not make a good margins, far from it after all the amout of investment alone deserves a return and i beleive a sucessfull group of wholsallers can influence the market to greater effect but i find this notion of fair trades etc rather confusing at the best of times
BazBean

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:33 pm

I think prices will probably go up for everyone in the chain, but not as much as the quality can. You get what you pay for I guess and as demand for these small boutique lots increases so do the costs.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic