Help wanted! The history of coffee

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Help wanted! The history of coffee

Postby johlis » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:45 pm

Hi
I would like some help gathering sources for my essay on coffee history. What I'm interested is more specificly the part concerning coffees introduction in Europe and onwards. How the beverage affected culture is particularely interesting.

In first hand I would like tips on books, but all relevant material in whatever form is appreciated (like homepages, magazines etc. just about anything you can digg up).

oh, and if its possible it would be great if you could include title, author and ISBN number on literature tips.

Thanks
//Lisa
johlis

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:24 pm

Hi Lisa,

There is an excellent book called (strangely enough) "Coffee". It is by Mary Banks, Christine McFadden and Catherine Atkinson. The version that I have was re-issued in 2004 by Hermes House. The book was originally published as "The World Encyclopaedia of Coffee" by Anness Publishing. I am sorry but I do not know the ISBN number.

The volume is a large hardback containing lots of information about coffee with a very detailed section relating to the general history of our favourite beverage and some commentary about the social changes brought about by its introduction to the western culture.

The best bit is that I got my copy recently for a fraction of its proper price - it was only £3.99 from one of the cheap booksale type bookshops here in the UK. If you are UK based, any of the cheap style high street book stores should have it as they appear to share virtually identical stock of books being sold off. I have seen it in at least three different stores of this ilk.

Hope this helps, and welcome to TMC :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:56 pm

Coffee : A Dark History . Anthony Wild. Published by Fourth Estate ISBN 1-84115-649-3

Uncommon Grounds. Mark Prendergrast. Published by Texere. ISBN 1-58799-088-1

I have both of these. My preference is for the first, but many people like the second one.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby AlanP » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:49 pm

'The Devil's Cup' by Stewart Lee Allen ISBN 1 84195 143 9 is an entertaining journey following the origins of the coffee bean and it's spread to the rest of the world

'All About Coffee' by William Ukers (1922) is a monumental work available as a downloadable pdf file somewhere on the net, it's about 900 pages and 70+mb.Try a search on TMC as I'm sure I got it from a member's post.

Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby phil » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:47 pm

Look for the review of "Devil's Cup" on TMC reviews
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:37 pm

To follow up on Alan's post, here's the link to Ukers book: http://www.coffeewisdom.com/all_about_c ... coffee.pdf
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby johlis » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:40 pm

Thank you for the help :)
johlis

Postby kingseven » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:58 pm

Having had a little keyword search through the library I recommend:

Coffee - Claudia Roden
London's Coffee Houses - Antony Clayton
The Coffee House - Markman Ellis
and maybe Andres Uribe C. - Brown Gold.

I also recommend the Wild, Pendergrast, Ukers and Allen.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:11 am

I have a spare copy of the dark history, if we can sort something on postage its yours.

steve
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Off Topic