Introducing real coffee to newbies

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Introducing real coffee to newbies

Postby Paul L » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:52 pm

When I first got into coffee properly this Spring (after a dozen years of a Krups, Illy or supermarket beans and a blade grinder - and remaining blissfully ignorant!) I immersed myself in the mountain of knowledge on the web but also looked at the trends on coffee forums in relation to other hobbies. Thankfully, forums seem remarkably free of flaming or put downs, damned friendly in general and fun to catch up with other folk and see or show coffee in action.

One thing I looked for straight away was whether it all suffered from the photography or audio syndromes (as two typical analogies) of attention on the hardware rather than the actual pursuit behind what should be just toolsets. I told myself that I would know I was truly into coffee when I posted on the beans, roasting or ad-hoc sections either more often or more meaningfully than on the equipment sections. Slightly grey area on TMC as many technique issues get posted under "espresso".

Anyway, when anyone visits for a coffee I could hide behind the chrome of the Macap and Pavoni and smile cheesily but I don't. I actually like to start at the beginning by showing some green beans and roasting straight away. Rather than me rabbit on about the hardware they see raw coffee, see it roasted, learn the 2 to 10 day guideline (or whatever variation you follow), see fresh-roasted coffees ready to roast and appreciate some differences and of course try some. The kit becomes toolsets as it should.

My parents were round earlier today for the first time in a few months and I followed the usual routine, except I was a bit naughty as I held a bowl of green beans over the cup and asked "one spoon or two?" It completely caught out My Mother who did not have the faintest idea what coffee actually looked like before Nescafé et al get hold of it and she tried to see whether this was a strong one or not so that she could give me an answer. It was cruel but amusing though.

Half an hour later another person had received the guided tour of bean, roast, rest, grind, tamp, brew, froth etc. that took me 6 months to appreciate. Plus of course being in fear of this large amount of coffee (remember when a filter basked seemed a hell of a lot of coffee and must surely blow your head off?) only to find it strong and yet smooth and not bitter or overpowering.

What kind of amusing incidents have you had happen along your coffee journey or what do you do for those who would not have the weeks/months/years of patience you have put in and yet will appreciate the end result?
Paul L

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:07 pm

I am certain that my coffee is nowhere near up to the standard of most people's on here. For starters, I have not roasted yet (though I am looking out for kit in order to do so), and I have only had my superauto to play with so far, hence my excitement at the impending arrival of Miss Audrey. Despite this, even at my level I have noticed that people pop round more regularly than they used to, and most are not too shy to ask for another cup. On the down side, two people have refused me coffee at their houses on the basis that "I am not making coffee for you because I know the coffee you have at home". I get a lot of tea at friends houses these days!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:31 pm

It is hard for people to understand to what length I go to in their eyes for my cup of coffee.
Especially since I normally drink only 3 or at the most 4 cups of coffee each day.
Most people I know tend to go for quantity and ease and speed of preparing coffee, not quality and care.
My wife and I really enjoy our early morning coffee ritual with our from freshly roasted beans made cappucino's.
Friends tend to think we are crazy for investing in a grinder, espresso machine, roaster etc instead of just making a drip filter or instant coffee and be done with it.
They do however love to come over and drink our delicious home blends as often as possible.
Is it frugality or laziness or ignorance that people tend to drink such horrible coffee?
However it has turned in to one of my many hobbies, this roasting and coffee making and the joy it gives me. Friends and neighbours and indeed passers by love to watch me roasting the beans as I do the roasting in our garage and they tend to strike up a conversation most times.
My dogs will always join me when I am roasting and it makes for a very cosy picture, the three of us huddled around the Hottop with lots of smoke billowing around us, half the neighbourhood smelling of roasting coffee beans.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Return to Off Topic