Confession...

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Confession...

Postby Belgik » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:43 pm

One of the very last trips I did in May 2005 with my beautiful 1988 Porsche 911 before I reluctantly sold her (because of the cumulated cos of gas, insurance, taxes, traffic fines and maintenance, as well as the possibility of accidents and other unpleasant events) was to drive northwards beyond the Hague in Holland to buy a second-hand ECM Giotto machine. (Nothing more reliable than for an Italian coffee machine to catch a ride in a German car). Shortly thereafter I bought a new Macap M5 molino (NOT to be confused with the BMW M5, which bats out of hell but which would have meant HIGH TREASON and no solution at all...)

Because every single mistake working myself on the Porsche would have cost me an arm and a leg, I never -except for some small cosmetic matters- did much "mechanical" work on the car. Oh yes, I changed the oil and the filters, did some necessary rust-spraying (rust never sleeps), etcetera, but all in all left the rocket science to the workshop.

Nowadays, the coffee setup is somehow satisfying my wish to "do something mechanical". Oh, feeblishly so... I wanted to turn my Macap grinder from doser-ful to doser-less, so I took off the doser. Wonderful piece of machinery, that Macap! Very well put together, sturdy, clean (well, except for some coffee grinds...) I get some satisfaction from my first attempts at having a "hands-on" approach towards these equally wonderful coffee machines. The risk of unbearable expenses is less, too. And wouldn't you know? The "doserless" transformation failed: the delivered spout was the wrong spare part (for big M6 instead of M5). Nothing new under the sun.

I still miss my car, but it has to be. Had to get this offa my chest, it's going to take a while to come to gracious terms.
Time for a good espresso.
Belgik

Postby Beanie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:03 pm

Wow! Now there's a story... had to sell the Porsche to buy coffee equipment! :P

I guess you'll write an article for the "how-to" section on tuning an M5 to go from full to less? :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Raf » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:23 pm

Yes, we should put that on a special warning screen for new readers:

DISCLAIMER: Some people who read this site have sold expensive equipment to buy expensive equipment. Others bought expensive equipment without even selling other expensive equipment. The management is not responsible for these compulsions. They are your own.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby JonathanM » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:09 am

Too true! But it is not just new readers that this applies to!
Gaggia TD, La Spaziale Lusso (espresso), Rocky (brew), Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs and and old ''Cona Standard''
JonathanM

Postby Olings » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:58 am

...but if you go bankrupt after buying the expensive equipment you could always open a coffeebar using your new found skills and equipment to pay off the loans! :twisted:

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Return to Off Topic