Coffee and heartburn...

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:25 pm

YUCK (BEURK for stéphane, though the brits will probably misinterpret that ;-) ) I tried a gaviscon tablet once.. before getting on my motorbike... 5 miles down the road and had to stop as I was literally foaming at the mouth (all yours Phil, do your worst). If the idea is for the tablets to make you physically sick then they work!
I used to have acid pretty much permanently and ended up going to the doctors (first time in 10 years) just to be sure. Apparently it's all to do with the stomach lining and if you're not careful it becomes a bit of a vicious circle. So I'm with Simon on this, to try and get matters back under control you want to consider your diet carefully (avoid anything fatty and/or acidic, ie fruits, dairy is a tricky one), drink lots of water and check to see whether you need to lose any weight. I've been much better since taking these things into consideration... just got to try and manage stress and sleep levels now! In my experience, coffee seemed to have little to no effect.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:12 pm

Are you sure it was Gaviscon and not a washing powder tablet? Did your laundry smell minty that day by chance? :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:10 pm

Actually it was more the size of one of those dentures tablets (so I don't think I was meant to swallow it whole!)... and I don't remember what flavour it was... all I remember was foaming as though I'd just swallowed a load of pulycafe! :evil: Nasty stuff!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby aloening » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:43 pm

I gave up drinking Tea - at least of the British Rail sort - now only drink mint or other herbal tea - acid indegestion is 95% solved.

Coffee seems to have no effect at all - thank goodness for that!
Adrian Loening
aloening

Postby JonathanM » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:30 pm

gouezeri wrote:... 5 miles down the road and had to stop as I was literally foaming at the mouth

Microfoam? Latte Art down the chin?

...sorry the word foam triggered me there! :roll:
Gaggia TD, La Spaziale Lusso (espresso), Rocky (brew), Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs and and old ''Cona Standard''
JonathanM

Postby Terje » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Found my way back to this thread. Funny thing is that I have some heartburn again and of course the thought hit that it might be the coffee. Although I did read an article just now that stated that neither coffee, nor tea or even alcohol have any significant effect on heartburn. Smoking and too much salt however...

In any case, the stress at work has been idiotic in the last couple of months, I suppose that has more to do with it than anything else. I did pick up a few interesting points here however. Very freshly roasted beans, lots of robusta and light roasts can be bad.

Hm... I've been drinking mostly americanos made from moka pot coffee, real freshly roasted (as in right before brewing) and often up to 50% robusta, the roasts have been on the lighter side pretty often, espeicailly lately. Should perhaps check into all that.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby crphillips » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 pm

I go through bouts of heartburn but it definitely isn't coffee that does it to me.

I can go months without heartburn so long as i stay off things full of butter.....as soon as i eat something with butter in it i get real bad heartburn.........i love a good pasty too! :-(
La Pavoni Pub (Plumbed In)
Mazzer Mini E'
Gene Cafe
Vacu-Seal
crphillips

Previous

Return to Off Topic