UK TV

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

UK TV

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:17 am

BBC2 8pm tonight 'Full On Food':

According to the BBC website, 'Restaurant critic Richard Johnson travels to Ethiopia in search of the birthplace of coffee'.

Cheers
Ian

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:45 pm

Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just watched it and I really liked it, although the homemade espresso in the studio did not have the quality level of the members here. What I liked most was the coffee scene where they roast the coffee fresh and drink it immediately. Probably they didn't read all the discussions here how many rest days fresh roasted coffee needs :wink:

Anyway thanks again.

BEst regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:48 pm

I agree with Steven that showing how coffee is brewed elsewhere is always interesting, but really, what was the point in that journey to find a mythical "mother tree" (cue hackneyed john williams soundtrack)?

They go to the bother of showing the different ways that chicken are reared, and the effect that this has on the meat, but fail completely to discuss the importance of origin, environment, roast or even freshness of coffee beans; all basic but oh so important elements of the whole process. Most of us here know that Jim has worked over at the Fat Duck, but no comment was made of the chemical complexity of coffee or the process of making espresso either; Heston must have been off having a coffee on hiw own during this segment!

The "review" of espresso machines was cursory at best, despite having stated that buying such a machine is an "investment." Their ideal model being the classic Gaggia, which is hardly the be all and end all.
The presenter then states the importance of tell tale "mouse tails," whilst the cameraman zooms in to show pale yellow "coffee" gushing from the pf having had the misfortune to pass through a basket full of poorly ground and tamped coffee. So the advice continues, "crema" is an important sign of a good espresso we are told, the cameraman zooms in again upon a cup where a thin yellow crema covers barely 75 percent of the surface of the coffee. Frankly, there's more crema left on the sides of my cups once I've drunk an espresso than there was on these "freshly" brewed disasters.
Coffee is one of the most important commodities in the world, it is also undergoing something of a renaissance. As part of "Africa Season" (on the BBC) and recent current affairs, one might have hoped at least for a comment on its social relevance and how attempts are being made to improve the livelihoods of those involved.
Instead this was a weak travel feature completely lacking in any expertise, how could they get it soooo wrong!?!
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:27 pm

Yes, it was rather ironic on a program about good food, to show such a poor knowledge of espresso, and coffee in general.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:11 am

I liked the Ethiopian trip, that's my kind of thing. (The few Ethiopians I've met seem to have a completely different outlook on life compared with the natives of a neighbouring nation whose chief occupations appear to be procrastination and sloth.)

There's obviously a limit to what you can do in a two-minute studio slot but it reminds us what geeks we are when a group of foodies describe a Gaggia Classic and a crappy grinder as an investment.

The mousetails, the MOUSETAILS! I didn't see any mousetails - I saw a miniature waterfall from each spout, way too much in each cup, very pale crema almost covering the surface of the cup. The restaurant critic guy says 'Mmm nice' unconvincingly - I bet it was as bitter as hell.

Maybe they ought to do a proper piece and invite someone like kingseven in to show them how it's done?

Cheers
Ian

Postby simonp » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:21 am

Maybe they ought to do a proper piece and invite someone like kingseven in to show them how it's done?

Just what I was thinking. Or perhaps a Phil and Steve double act to put them straight :wink:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby quink » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:01 am

Ian wrote:. The restaurant critic guy says 'Mmm nice' unconvincingly - I bet it was as bitter as hell.

I didnt believe that for a minute either the look on the female presenters face when she tasted that was a picture, after the first sip she necked it. I'm also a bit sceptical about the mother tree, I suspect they just took the guy in to the forrest and showed him a big tree,.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:26 am

In principle, the trip to Ethiopia was a good idea. My point is that, rather than trying to hunt down a "mother tree," they could have shown so much more, even discussing cultural or social topics if they didn't want to look at the agricultural aspects. It need not have been "geeky" at all.

The studio slot was a complete waste of time. They claimed to have tested 10 espresso machines in their "office" and that the Gaggia came out tops, they also stated that this information was on the website... I can't find any information on which machines (other than the classic or the krups novo(!!!?)) nor how they were tested.

Apparently, the lead presenter is a food and "drink" critic... by drink they obviously don't mean coffee!

How hard would it have been to have actually found somebody who either knew what they were talking about, or even actually knew how to make a decent espresso. If espresso was too complicated for them, then they could simply have looked at FP, moka/brika or a vacuum brewer.

I know I'm ranting, but it really wouldn't have been hard for this topic to have been dealt with interestingly and informatively.
D
Gouezeri

Postby kingseven » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:26 pm

Get me some contact details for the show and I'll get over there and set up my Spaziale and show 'em a thing or two...

I was cupping til about 8, so I missed the show. Shame it was a bit rubbish...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby simonp » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:04 pm

Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:23 pm

Jim,
Heston is a new presenter for this series, so maybe that could help. I'm sure that stuff such as latte art would get their attention.
Gouezeri

Postby kingseven » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm

I shall send a sneaky e-mail in to the food research guy...
that and abuse the BBC.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:40 pm

don't forget to mention the licence fee ;-)
Gouezeri

Postby pault » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:13 am

on a different note ...

anyone a regular watcher of "The Smoking Room"???

In my humble opinion it's the cleverest, subtly funny programme ever - "The Office" gets most of the plaudits but "The Smoking Room" is better. I taped the 1st one of the new series last night and watched it again after only about 2 hour's break - still funny and you catch little things you missed the 1st time. Misleadingly simple - they never leave the room, nothing ever happens - Samuel Beckett on a nicoteine high???

best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby pault » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:14 am

apologies for spelling and grammar - just had my 3rd cappo - all over the shop ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Next

Return to Off Topic