Espresso / sleep

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby lijn » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:20 am

The funny thing is: I never believed in the too-much-caffeine-I-can't-sleep-thing. Until I began to drink lots of Coca Cola and found myself awake at night. Since I wasn't "cafeine aware" at all, it took me a couple of months to find out I should quit the 1,5 liters of coke at night. That helped.

As for coffee: I never drink much at night, unless it's after some nice dinner. The effects are impossible to tell, because usually there's some wine involved as well, and that's a rouser after a couple of hours.
On the very rare occasion that I drink an espresso at night without alcohol with it; there's not much to say about the effects beforehand. Sometimes I just sleep like a baby, sometime I lie awake all night. I think it's very interesting what kingseven says: that the cafeine blocks the receptors for the hormone that calms you down. That might explain a lot :-)
During the day, I find that cafeine doesn't keep me awake at all: I get very tired from it, actually! It might give a bit of a rush for a couple of minutes, but that might as well be the hot drink. If I have to get up too early, after too little sleep, it doesn't get me going at all.

If you really want something to keep you awake, try chocolate in any form. A hot cocoa during the night is a guarantee for no sleep at all.
lijn

Postby BazBean » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:46 am

I Cant seem to sleep without a coffee, i am sure the body will aclimatise to whatever punishment/reward (select appropraite..lol)you give it anyhow!!.
maybe its the mind which has a part to play in this........if you have a late coffee and think you might not sleep. surprise, surprise you might not.
i have seen on my travels on the internet, tables for caffienee levels for drinks but cant remeber where?....i have an unfounded theory that "instant" coffee has more caffienee that the good stuff anyhow simular to Mk`s suggestion.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Ian » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:57 pm

I normally allow about four hours between my last coffee and intended bedtime. (Don't drink coke)
Ian

Postby lijn » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:23 pm

A quick search on "caffeine levels drinks" yields a lot of results. This australian page (http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s300653.htm) deals with caffeine overdose from high-caffeine drinks and states:
The pharmacological effects of caffeine include central nervous system (CNS) and cardiac stimulation as well as coronary vasodilatation. It relaxes smooth muscle, stimulates skeletal muscle, has a weak diuretic action and its metabolic effects include hypoglycaemia.

The toxic effects of caffeine include vomiting and abdominal pain as well as CNS symptoms including agitation, altered conscious state, rigidity and seizures.

The hypoglycaemia doesn't surprise me a bit. Every morning, after my fourth, I get the feeling I should have eaten something sooner...
lijn

Postby obrienk » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:35 pm

I like to think of Roberto Benigni in the movie Coffee & Cigarettes when he says he like to drink a lot of espersso before bed so that he can dream faster.
obrienk

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:41 pm

I like that I may need to use it in the future :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby lijn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:47 pm

Ah great, now you can calculate how much coffee is unhealthy for your weight: http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

:-)
lijn

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:19 pm

Oh no, it seems I expired due to espresso consumption a week last Thursday from the above link's calculations. Must be the caffeine keeping me going! Great find Irjn :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:23 pm

153 shots ti kill me. Blimey, just the preparation of 153 shots would kill me :lol:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:40 pm

simonp wrote:153 shots ti kill me. Blimey, just the preparation of 153 shots would kill me :lol:

Quick, get out that big hopper for the mazzer... ah, what a sight, a hopper full of beans :lol: Oh, you might want a macap CPS as well... that's a lot of tamping! :D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:19 pm

It would certainly be an impressive way to do away with yourself :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby lijn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:06 pm

Arrr, I can only have a little under 80 shots... But I bet they threw in a lot of Robusta ;)
lijn

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:10 am

Its not true Im sure I must have had more coffee than that and I'm alive........ I think :), sorry no, checked and I'm not :)
Last edited by Steve on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:09 am

I'm presuming these figures mean that quantity in 1 go, or 1 day. Lets hope so, or we're all dead, we just haven't noticed yet
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:25 am

Are we in coffee heaven? Is that what TMC really is? :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic