Baristas: What floor material is best behind the counter?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Baristas: What floor material is best behind the counter?

Postby Joey » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:42 am

Hi Baristas and Coffeeshop owners!

My future location has a new granit-stone floor, but I will overlay it with dark wood (colonial style) at most parts. Behind the counter, where the baristas (and I) will work - I know the stones are too slippery. The wooden floor might be hard to clean. Then I was thinking about a kind of rubber grid, to make it comfortable for the staff. But than I have to take out the grid every evening to clean the dirt on and underneath it. If I just take a linoleum-floor coating, it might be softer and easy to clean, too. Hmmm. I dunno. What do you have in your shops? Is there any non slippery, easy to clean floor covering, that's good for the ankles of the staff? I think it wouldn't be comfortable to stand on a hard stone floor for 8 hours :?
Thanks for your input
Joey
Joey

Postby Raf » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:46 am

Much as I hate linoleum (it's so ugly!) I think you're better of with it than either stone or wood: coffee makes some nasty stains in wood, possibly in stone as well.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:05 am

Yeah, I know. I had the same feeling about that stuff. But I found out that actually it's an all natural material and in the meantime it comes in nice colours, too. It contents stoneflour, oil and other biological materials inside. If you make a nasty cut, or burn it with a cigarette - you can sand it off, or polish it again. As it's a mixture off these colored materials all through, you can sand off layers and still have the color underneath. Not like a tile which is off white under the pattern. We used one in our office at the entrance in a ferrari-red. Actually it has an uneaven pattern made of f-red, orangy-red and fire-red - and gives you the feeling you walk on molded lava ;-) So I could use a coffeebrown linoleum behind the counter :-D
Greetings
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Return to Off Topic