Building a grinder

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Raf » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:04 am

Update: John from Versalab agreed to answer my questions. If there's anything you want to know about those M3 machines, now's the time, boys and girls! :D
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:16 am

Well, I dare asking - although I might know the answer - does he want me to use his machines for free in my shop to make advertising?? I can try to sell them for him, too...
Yeah, I know, I know.... but one is allowed to dream, isn't me? ;-)
Attachments
loveletter.gif
loveletter.gif (10.32 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:29 am

BTW, for the gastronomy, about the hopper and always having fresh beans with not so much air in it....
About the vacuum boxes I heard that they dry out the beans too much,btw...
So how about a straight hopper, like a wider pipe, and a round piece of wood, plastic - whatever - with a weight pressing down on the beans while the level sinks. It's not a totally airtight solution, but better then having half of the hopper or more empty. I mean, like if a lid was moving downwards with the beans....
(Inside the still closed hopper, of course...)
And for the scale for grinding the right amount:
Well, for single origins I use my PF like a measurement cup and drop the exact amount of beans in my Mazzer (with the funnel) where I would not need a hopper, but I leave it on as it looks better for the customers, and I still have the sliding door to prevent beans from escaping while grinding.
But for my espresso #2 where I use a lot, as other coffee houses - I do fill the hopper - but NEVER the doser. Instead, I know that 9 seconds of grinding make the exact amount of coffee I need for a double shot.
So, why a scale, if a timer would be ok, too - when you use the same blend in this grinder, of course....
There is a grinder from Mahlkönig that is adjusted by timing. The settings are made by stopping the time in which the gram you need is dropped out of the shoot.

TECHNICAL DATA:
Hopper capacity 1,5 kg
Grinding capacity - fine / medium, medium 3,8 g/sec
Voltage, V frequencies, Hz phases 230V 50Hz ~1
Grinding disc diameter, mm 65
Dimensions, (w x d x h), cm 24x32x55
Net Weight 12,5 kg
EQUIPMENT FEATURES:
Vibrating of the bag
Hopper magnet
Overload protection
Coffee exit
--
Universal Port-a-Filter

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Diverse portion control, various hopper, flexible design

Every portion is freshly ground – no loss of coffee. This grinder is electronically controlled (Timer) with variable programming. The grinding time is less than 2 seconds for a single espresso!

The new developed, high performance grinder is silent, cool and long lasting.

Single and double shot are preset and counted electronically. The grinder starts automatically when inserting the port-a-filter and you have the choice between 19 different grind settings.

It´s unique and modular design make this grinder that special and easy to maintain. It is available in different colours and customized designs.

... just copied the data...
Joey
Attachments
Mahlkönig.jpg
Mahlkönig.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 4963 times
Joey

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:43 am

Interesting info Joey...
Though there are a couple of things that seem odd to me...
only 19 grind settings...? Come back my Solis, all is forgiven...
Ok, I get that this is going to be an espresso only machine, but isn't that kind of a step backwards...?
2 Secs for a single with 65mm burrs? Umm, aren't things going to get a little warm here? :-S
Still, if you can customise the design, I can think of one person that will be putting in an order for a cocobolo clad model ;-)
Last, FWIW, seems the people in the grinder business really aren't listening....
http://www.coffeed.com/weblog/1_alistaircoffeedcom
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Joey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:41 am

i don't think it's the perfect machine either, I just wanted to mention the timer setting. but you are right - didn't read about the 2 seconds - hmmmm, on the other hand, Mahlkönig is a very good well known company. and at my machines a singlr shot also only takes about 6 seconds, so 2-6, well is that really that big difference...? Anyway. one day the perfect grinder will be built. as I am working on an espresso machine for airplanes, he, he, but that's my little secret :-D

joey
Joey

Postby kingseven » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:25 pm

The problem I have with the MACAPs is that, apart from the 350rpm conical I am using at the moment, the burrs all turn too fast. (Anything over 750 is a problem I suppose).

The Malkohnig (I can't spell today) is ok - I used it out in Seattle, but the rpms are too high and the adjustments are a little indelicate on there. Also there is a small problem with the coffee exiting from the burrs (usual stuff - clumping, static etc)

I am convinced that grinders are a long long way behind the machines, and I will hopefully have some data on grinders from a little experiment I will be doing next week.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Beanie » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:21 pm

So how about a straight hopper, like a wider pipe, and a round piece of wood, plastic - whatever - with a weight pressing down on the beans while the level sinks.

Something btwn this http://photos1.blogger.com/img/228/5779 ... C00064.jpg and press pot for hopper.

Instead of fork for PF - just a scale. Design bowl/receptacle to catch grinds onto which a PF can be placed and flip like an upside down cake. To get more complicated, can put plunger thing on bottom of bowl, then when tuned upside down on PF to dump grounds, also plunge down into PF to act as tamper. This also helps keep PF in GH as long as poss.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Mathias » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:09 am

This is a little what I was talking about in "The TMC Grinder" thread, the cup I mean. I'm not sure about the tamper function though. The grinds need to be distributed before tamping don't they?

That is why the cup I was talking about included the function of distributing the grinds. Now, a few weeks later I believe that the function of taking off the abundance of grinds can be included as well. Turn cup clockwise and the grinds will be evenly distributed, turn anti clockwise and the grinds above the basket rim will be scooped back in the cup.
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Postby Mathias » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:25 am

Talking about scales. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a scale with an alarm so that when selected weight has been reached the alarm goes off?
Mathias

Postby Joey » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:42 am

that reminds me on that little magnetic panic button we have mounted on our fridge - when you push the red button you hear a men screaming 4x - like in a horror movie - it's for our rush hours - when the barista needs help.... >lol<

Sorry, that was absolutely useless information, but I just imagined that screaming sound when the scale measures too much coffee..... >still giggling, can't help it<

joey
>now logging out before I write more nonsense<

bye
Joey

Postby Mathias » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:32 am

Sorry to disappoint you Joey but the sound would be cut of if I ever will use such a scale. Instead the electrical signal would control the motor of the grinder giving a true weight control grinder.

I did a similar thing many years ago for a motor opening a garage doors by using a remote control doorbell, no sound but the doors open/close when the bell button is pressed. The unit is still in use... :-)
Mathias

Previous

Return to Off Topic