Beware the stupid gene (probably only applies to me)

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Beware the stupid gene (probably only applies to me)

Postby AlanP » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:25 pm

It's been a frustrating and annoying week at AlanP Castle,my coffee, espresso and americano, has been getting more sour day by day.Couldn't account for it.

Worried,I started looking into pump pressure,maybe I should reduce it a bit?
Perhaps it was a water temperature problem,should I consider PID'ing the Zaffiro?
Both solutions concerned me a little as it meant opening up the machine and 'tinkering'.
The answer came to me in bed at 5am this morning :idea:

After 8o'clock in the evening I only drink decaf,I know, but if you saw me you'd realise I need my beauty sleep.
Now I find my decaf needs a slightly finer grind than other beans,so I drop the Rocky half a step or more before filling the pf.
Following evening,having forgotten to reset Rocky during the day, I again drop a step........you can see where this is going can't you........day after day all week I've been grinding finer and finer and finer.
I realised shot times were fluctuating a bit but I hadn't made the connection.(Feel free to call me stupid) :oops:

This morning I reset the grinder back to it's usual position,around 10.I discovered that over the week I'd increased the fineness of the grind by about 5 steps in all !
I think it's time for a little bit of sticky tape in the appropriate place on the grinder dial.

Senility is on it's way
Alan....... :D as sandboy
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby RobC » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:24 pm

Alan,

An easy mistake to make and not at all stupid. Your story just emphasises that whatever the equipment used, if the grind is not adjsted for the blend you are using then the resulting brew will not be at it's best. Even very expensive commercial equipment is little more then a fancy cafetiere if the grind is not correct - unfortunately for coffee shop owners staff with a little bit of savvy work out that by making the grind coarser they can speed up the coffee making process. Great for busting queue's - and causing customer complaints about weak coffee!

Tip-ex on the grind adjustment dial and grinder dial provides a handy reference to a known good extraction setting!
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Joey » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:40 pm

better switch back to caffeine ;-)
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Return to Off Topic