Aloha!

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Aloha!

Postby Joey » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:31 am

Just wanted to say "hi" to everybody and thank you for inviting me to this place. Unfortunately I have not much time to visit you in the next days. I will be in Milano visiting SIC. Maybe Raf told you that I will meet him and Kristien there.
In the meantime I send you greetings from Austria

Bye
Joey
Joey

Postby phil » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:40 am

Thank you Joey. You are very welcome. Thank you for stopping by.

Phil
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:44 am

I'm curious - where is Swindon?
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby phil » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:10 am

Swindon - South West England, about 65 km east of Bristol and about 45 km south-west of Oxford.

The arm-pit of the mid west UK. (This from a lad who was born and bred in Scunthorpe - so trust me I'm an expert on this sort of thing! :lol: )
Last edited by phil on Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:28 am

Hello from Portugal, Joey!
DrZeus

Postby Joey » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:33 pm

Hi John!
Saw you sometimes at CG.
Nice to meet you here, too.
Sorry you can't come to Milano.
I'll read you all after the weekend, gotta go
Bye
Joey
(...last mail before my flight leaves, phew!)
Joey

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:56 pm

Hi Joey

Good to see we have more here long may it continue. Swindon is just on the edge of the world isnt it phil
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:04 pm

topologically somewhere not too far from Scunthorpe :lol:
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:00 am

Hi everyone! I'm back from Milan, and I'm soooo tired. I met Raf and Kristien (you are a cute couple, guys ;-). We went to my favorite Restaurant, together with Marni and David Heilbrunn (The organizers of the Coffeefest) and Tamara, a friend of them. It was a wonderful evening. I'll report from the show in the next days. Unfortunately a lot of work is waiting for me, and a funeral, so it might not be before Wednsday - sorry. All I can say is - even Kent Bakke couldn't convince me to buy a La Marzocco :-)
The people from La Spaziale were the nicest, La San Marco the most snobbiest, the machines from Faema look like robots (ugly) and the Scottish men from Espresso Warehouse (.com) are very nice anf fun to talk to. Enough for now, pics will follow, too...
Nighty night!
Joey
Joey

Postby Raf » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:14 pm

As Joey already mentioned, we had a great time Saturday night. Thanks for entertaining us, Joey! (I did eat too much of that buffet though, and that grappa didn't go down well).

Surprisingly, we didn't drink a lot of good shots in Milan: one from Paul Bassett and one at the Tazza D'Oro stand. The others were poor on crema, made with old beans and generaly pulled in a very sloppy, couldn't-care-less way. Too bad. More to follow. Best keep a few pages ready for our report, Phil! ;)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:09 pm

Hi Raf! Good to read you. You drank the grappa? Yikes. I sticked to the lemonliqueur ;-)
I just roamed through the pictures again, but still have no time to reduce them in size.
Did you and Kristien find that 82 year old guy who invented the pods?
I got stucked in hall 22 and 23 - roasters, green beans, porcellaine cups and packaging. I got some good samples of green beans for my roaster. Specially one Brasilian from a mini plantation which produces such small, but good amounts of coffee, that this company bought the coffee for the next 5 years in advance. And they said, they spent some more money to help built a school in that village. We'll see how it tastes in a few days...
Bye
Joey
Joey

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:55 pm

Hi Joey, welcome! Good to have someone from Austria on board. Btw, I love SCUBA diving too. We should exchange some experiences. I just bought an underwater case for my camera in HK. I haven't been diving for over a year though!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:00 am

Hi Sunnyfield!
Sorry I read your post so late. You love scuba diving? I guess we could sit for hours and just talk about that, couldn't we? It's always a pleasure to find some divers - those stories are always great! I could tell you one were I got almost lost outside an Atoll (not a reef, an ATOLL! :lol: ) on the Maldives....

Sorry other coffee friends - OT:
I was the last one that jumped from the boat which changed the position slightly. All the others before me managed to get down to the point quickly where the current was going into the other direction along the wall. I got stucked at the point where it was dividing, at the edge of the reef. When I cought my breath again (diving down the 12m against the current was hard for me - shoesize 36 ;-) I tried to follow my buddy, who was 2m in front of me, signaling him that I was ok. He turnd forward, started paddeling, and as took my hands off that dead coral I was holding on to and started to swim forward, too - the current against me was so strong, that it blew me across the roof of the thila in seconds, like in a hurricane. Paddling didn't help, and I was afraid to bump into something on my way, so I turned sidewards, still paddling and trying to get my (forbidden) gloves out of my pockets. I quickly put them on before grabbing something I don't manage to recognize in that unclear water. Then I saw that huge block of one of those brain-corals, one with about 1m height - I grabbed it, and made the experience that it was dead and loose already, so the current dragged me AND the huge coral I was hanging on across the roof..... We came to a sudden stop colliding with another coral block. And there I was waiting for about 8 minutes, hoping to see some bubbles rising from other divers somewhere. Not even the fish could stand still, I never saw them passing by so quickly. It was like if you fast forward a Chaques Costeau movie (or however you spell his name).
At the beginning I was just waiting, faszinated by the power, hopeful because "I'm married and my husband will look after me" :roll:
After a while I felt alone, really alone :cry:
Then I remembered that we left the Atoll to find this special thila where nobody usually goes because it's an extra long trip :?
...and we went there because of the specially huge amount of big fish, like hammerhead sharks :shock:

Well, I assumed,if I surface now, chances are higher that the Dhoni(boat) will still see me. Because the Dhoni always follows the current with the divers, which obviously at that time were still going the other direction. At the moment I got off my coral block - I got sucked away from the little island under the water in seonds. It got smaller and blurred and all the parts floating around - do you know that starfield screensaver that looks like you fly with a spaceship through space with wharp 9 ?
I reached the surface, laid back on my bottle, feet up (I'm always afraid to let my feet just hang unattended into the blue ;-) and blew up my yellow bananaballoon.
Boy was I glad that I bought my own one!

Swaying in the waves I started calculating if I could reach Male with that current, because I was going into the east direction and I was between the Ari and the Baa Atoll. 8)

I saw the Dhoni, but it was getting smaller and smaller. It took another 15 minutes until the guys on the Dhoni saw me, and roughly 15 more until they reached me. That was scaring. Afterwards my husband said to his defense, that he didn't see me behind him, and thought that I might have gone with another buddy of ours who is a very good diver and instructor.

Later we were searching for two other missing guys who luckily had an orange-red banana, and I have to say, they are MUCH better seen on shining waves in the sun than the yellow ones. :!:

What about you? What was your worst experience? :twisted: Or best? :D

:mrgreen: Blubb blubb
Joey
Joey

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:58 pm

Good story! I have no such adventurous stories, but will share some experiences another time.

ES
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:18 pm

Hey - Sunnyfield is in tha house! I see u roaming all the posts because I'm updating every 15 minutes :D
I'm sure you will experience some great dives in the future, it's never the same.

In case you don't noticed - I just threw my 2 cents into the post on CG about the Mini Mazzer in Europe... for everyone else here, too, here is a link to a cheap supply:
http://www.eis-fassbender.de/aws/showit ... tegory=149
I just asked the company via email to make me an offer because I need several grinders in the near future. Let's see what they offer. I someone else needs one then I could order more...

Bye
Joey
Joey

Next

Return to Off Topic