Short city break, where to go?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Short city break, where to go?

Postby simonp » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:34 am

Rather off topic here, but as this is a European group I thought you could help.

We are planning a short city break, unfortunately the only time we can go is the week beginning 14th March, which is a little early really. Also we are on a thightish budget.

Any advice on where to go? We are looking at 3-4 nights away. The current list is:

Paris
Rome
Vienna
Prague

The trouble is being British our language skills are poor :oops: Jess has some French, but I took no languages at school except 2 early years of French and Latin.

All advice appreciated :)

Simon
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Re: Short city break, where to go?

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:24 am

If you go for Paris, I know a good little hotel where you can stay. It's not in Paris, but not far, near my house (so you'll have good coffee, I hope) and the subway (metro) will drive you anywhere. If your idea is a coffee trip, then you'd better go to Roma or Vienna (I've been told they have a good place called Mocca Club 8) ).

Anyway, if you go for Paris, just let me know and I'll get in touch with the hotel owner for pricing and availability.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Raf » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:27 am

If you go to Paris, be sure to have dinner at 'L'Epi Dupin' in the rue Dupin. It's amazingly cheap (30 euros for three course dinner) but the food is absolutely orgasmic (and I'm very picky, I almost never say this). Open on weekdays only, you'll be crammed in a small room with lots of Japanese and Americanish, but it's worth it. Reservations are necessary. Read Jeffrey Steingarten's 'The Man Who Ate Everything' on Paris bistrots to get a feel for the sort of place.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Re: Short city break, where to go?

Postby simonp » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 am

MKSwing wrote:If you go for Paris, I know a good little hotel where you can stay.

Thanks, will get in touch if we go to Paris.

Simon
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:19 pm

Simon,

I would suggest Amsterdam! You will have no language problem, it is cheaper than most capitals and the UK and there is enough culture and other thing to do at night. The only problem is maybe the quality of the coffee and off course there is no improvement in the weather conditions compared to the UK. If you go to Amsterdam I can give you a lot of tips where to eat and drink.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby phil » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:37 pm

Vienna! Surely you didn't need to ask?

Allyson & I are hoping to manage a week in Vienna at the end of March, provided the situation with my work contract permits it. We certainly intend to visit Joey while we're there.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:58 pm

phil wrote:Vienna! Surely you didn't need to ask?

Allyson & I are hoping to manage a week in Vienna at the end of March, provided the situation with my work contract permits it. We certainly intend to visit Joey while we're there.

I've heard Vienna is nice, but don't know much about it myself. The trouble is neither of us speaks any Austrian, or even German, which could be tricky :( .
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Beanie » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:53 pm

Vienna IS nice :) You don't have to speak Austrian/German. I don't know if my limited knowledge of Dutch helped me... but really, most places you'll be visiting over a 4-5 day period is probably "touristy", right? If it's touristy, then Anglophones have no fear :) And besides, everyone who works at the Mocca Club speaks English :)

The 1st place I stayed in was a fully-furnished apartment and I was damned happy there. But that was only for 1wk cause they were fully booked. Here's the link to it http://central-apartments-vienna.com/en/index.htm?8 The 1st apartment shown overlooks the Naschmarkt (food market) and then across the street & to the right is the Mocca Club... not even a minute's walk away. The Muehlgasse locations are just around the corner too. Very central location, 5 min from the centre, underground, restaurants galore...

If there's no occupancy there, do NOT take the recommendation for the Carlton Suites Hotel. Take my word for it! Let me know if you'd like more accommodation links.

BTW, did you ever consider Budapest? I didn't encounter a single person there who wasn't able to communicate in English... as opposed to some of the cabbies in Vienna. A super-romantic city, excellent food, even better service, very friendly/helpful people and to top it off, cheap as dirt!!

If it's art, museums, music that you like, then definitely go to Vienna :) Not that they don't have plenty of that in Budapest as well.

Let's add another one for the list... Istanbul. Another amazing city that's perfect for a 4-day trip too.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Beanie » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:59 pm

This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby E61 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:22 pm

I travel quite a lot in Europe and I still haven't been to a city that I couldn't enjoy with my wife for 4 days :-)

I think it has a lot to do with what you intend to do in those 3-4 days and if you are looking to get a taste of the spring. Citys like Rome, Barcelona and Athens would be my chose for a touch of spring in mid march. Prague is very nice and very lively, but you could also think about Budapest, one of the trendiest citys in Europe at the moment - and both are in the cheaper end.

And finally; don't worry about language. You can get along with english everywhere as long as you don't expect to discuss philosophy :-) and most importantly don't have an attitude

Poul
Faema E61 - 2 group, year 1967, 84 mm. brewhead
Faema E61 Ariete
Isomac Tea
Rossi RR45
La San Marco SM90
HotTop
Heartware Precision
E61

Postby Joey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:37 am

Thanks MKSwing, love you Marcy!
Hi Simon!
If you come to Vienna I'll do my best to make you feel comfortable.
You can play on my machines in the shop, too, if you want (and we don't have a rush hour at that moment ;-D)
40 different kinds of single origins should lure you here... and Vienna is very safe. As I am Viennese I can show you nice places where you wouldn't go as a tourist. Unfortunately when Marcy was here I didn't have that much time ('twas the time before X-Mas) but in the meantime I have enough staff to manage some hours off per day.
Anyway, no pressure, but you won't regret it. And as Marcy said, everyone here speaks english and other languages.
Vienna has a total mixture of old and new styles. Wonderful buildings, lots of green places in spring, great restaurants, even english movie theatres if you want... jumpy white horses, sweet Mozart balls, great cakes.....

Hope to see you 2
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Raf » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:52 am

You have English movies in Vienna? Damn, every year K and I go on a crazy tour of the city we're vacationing to find a cinema where we can see a good movie (well, usually a popcorn blockbuster). We almost never find one. Once in Barcelona in the Olympic City. The rest of southern Europe is pretty barren.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:07 pm

The cinema is about 10 minute walk from Joey's... http://www.haydnkino.at/

BTW, all the movies in NL are in English with subtitles, of course :)
Beanie

Postby simonp » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:59 pm

Thanks Joey :D
Oh, choices, choices :roll: In the end I think it will come down to which city we can get a cheap flight to, as budget is tight (still trying to scrape the money fror getting the bathroom done).
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:14 am

Ok, sorry to change the topic, but Simon, isn't it about time you modded your Bodum.... it's the only thing you haven't done in your sig! ;-)
Anyway, once you've worked out what cheap flights you can get, head down your local WHSmith or Borders/Ottakars etc. and try either the Lonely Planet or Rough Guide series for the most uptodate info and for getting a feel of the place, then post back here cos you can guarantee someone either lives there or has been there.
D
Gouezeri

Next

Return to Off Topic