Why do you think people drink coffee anyway?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Why do you think people drink coffee anyway?

Postby katya1988 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi all,

Why do you think people drink coffee? To get energized? I think that would be my first guess, but apparently coffee contributes to success in life. What do you think?

I think its going to be an interesting topic to discuss
katya1988

Re: Why do you think people drink coffee anyway?

Postby katya1988 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:26 pm

And all those coffee lovers have nothing to say...
katya1988

Postby dr.chris » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Its my favourite drink.

The mild stimulant properties don't do any harm either, but the research about how habitual coffee drinkers don't actually get a boost on coffee, rather they get a 'lag' when off coffee, doesn't surprise me.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby Joris » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:03 pm

I just love the taste of coffee, and the fact that the brewing method, different beans, the roasting profile and blend (when not drinking SO) all contribute to that taste.
For me it's all about the journey in taste.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby motoman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:17 am

I think that if we just drank the stuff just for the kick, we would have moved on to the hard stuff long ago. I love it for the taste and the fact that I can roast, prepare and enjoy it much cheaper than commercial cafes is a bonus. I probably do get a boost from the caffeine but as a lazy, idle bugger it does not change my lifestyle one little bit. I get more of a boost from friends who enjoy my coffee than caffeine ever did, due to my advanced years (Looking for the sympathy vote), I drink less coffee than I did a few years ago but I enjoy it more than ever. I look forward to my morning ritual of switching on La Valentina, grinding the beans and foaming the milk, for my failed latte art. Toast from home made bread and marmalade from the batch I make every January from the Seville oranges when they are in season.
I learned many years ago, that it costs as much money and time to make bad coffee as it does to make the good stuff. I'm still learning and hopefully improving. The good news is that I do not have to prove it to anyone but myself.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Tongle » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:14 pm

It is a nice drink first and foremost. But also the various brew methods also result in it being fun to make. The more I have learned about coffee the more interesting I have found it to be.
Add to the fact that buying specialty coffees from a reputable dealer enables growers to make a living is the icing on the cake from me.

I also like cafe culture. I love going into new and old familiar coffee shops and applying my somewhat limited knowledge to the drinks I buy. I am lucky enough to live near Manchester which is seeing a massive growth in terms of independent coffee shops.

Finally I like the community aspect. Met some really nice people here on the forum, at Cup North and at various shops.

Let's be honest....it is just a drink...flavoured water really. But then a guitar is just a hunk of wood with metal bits....it is what you want to make of it and in my experience it is a lot of fun.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby Bernardr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:53 am

I Just love the taste of coffee.Sipping Coffee keeps me energizing and warm. Coffee doesn't just keep you awake, it may literally make you smarter as well.Coffee Help You Burn Fat and Improves Physical Performance.Not only can coffee make you smarter in the short term, it may also protect your brain in old age.Coffee may even help you live longer.Coffee is my all time favourite drink whenever I feel depressed."Good communication is just as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after."
Bernardr

Postby helenp12 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:25 pm

Personally I drink it out of habit - as much as I love the taste, it doesn't make me feel awake/stimulated.

There's also a social element of it too - there's just something nice about chatting over a cup of coffee. :D
helenp12

Postby OhhEnnEmm » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am

I think it just starts out because you either like the taste or the effect. Then you get hooked on the caffeine, so it's a habit.

Not a bad habit, mind ;)
OhhEnnEmm

Postby GregFH » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:01 am

Hello,

Good question. Here are a few reasons:

1. The culture of coffee drinking in your country
2. The belief that it has medicinal properties
3. The belief that it has energy properties
4. Excellent taste
5. The cult of coffee drinking, unfortunately often combined with a cigarette
6. Reminds you of a break (e.g. at work)
7. A meeting, e.g. a business meeting that lasts as long as drinking coffee ;)
GregFH

Return to Off Topic