downloading Roasting log application

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

downloading Roasting log application

Postby michel » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:18 pm

I've tried 4 times now, downloaded it at home as wel as at work, tried to unzip it (I see no where the option to download an unzipp file as mentioned in the text...) And nothing seems to work.
As far as I know I have access 2000 running on my machine's so it should work.
Any hint would be welcome.

Michel
michel

Postby HughF » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:09 pm

You need to create a directory on your C: drive called :
CoffeeRoastingDB
(no spaces). Then unzip the file into that C:\CoffeeRoastingDB directory.

Start it by opening the file
CoffeeRoasting.mdb

If you still get problems or you already did this (sorry!), post again. If that solves the problem, what is happening is that there are TWO database files involved - the CoffeeRoasting.mdb file is the front end, the info you type in later is stored in the CoffeeRoasting_be.mdb file ("be" for "back end").
The first file (with the information entry screens) expects to find the second ("be") file in C:\CoffeeRoastingDB to store your information in - if it's not in that directory, you are stuck.

If you haven't already done so then you really need to look at the home page :

http://improbablystructuredlayers.net/CoffeeRoastingDB/CRDBHome.htm

for this DB. It isn't as complete as I would like but looking at the sections "Installation / Upgrade Instructions" and (once it is running OK) "Basic Workflow" is essential to avoid major confusion. It can be a bit confusing even after that!

I hope my post on the roasting forum might help a bit too. I sneaked it into a thread on Coffee Trails so you might not have noticed it, sorry about that - click here to see it 1/4 of the way down this page :
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=52

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby michel » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:41 pm

Hugh,
Thanks a lot! Tried all your suggestions and it is still not working.
Maybe I need to add some info:
-I dont know nothing about access, but when opening something, I could read some info about the program (I was in the database, where is under tabels: rating, reversion, roast type a.s.o...), but did not see the interface I was expecting.

-I have doubts now if I have access 2000. I tried to figure out what version I have, but could not find it, as there is only mentioned: Access

-When I try to open the CoffeeRoasting.mdb
access opens up, saying:
'Cant find file: CoffeeRoastingDB/CoffeeRoasting_be.mdb'

Please help!
(I roast in the same chamber - attic - as I have my books and computer... so this 'roasting-program' should be perfect for me...)

Thanks in advance Hugh,

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby HughF » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:03 pm

michel wrote:Hugh,
Thanks a lot! Tried all your suggestions and it is still not working.
-I have doubts now if I have access 2000. I tried to figure out what version I have, but could not find it, as there is only mentioned: Access

-When I try to open the CoffeeRoasting.mdb
access opens up, saying:
'Cant find file: CoffeeRoastingDB/CoffeeRoasting_be.mdb'

Please help!

That error message is exactly what I would expect if the 2 .mdb files are not placed in a "CoffeeRoastingDB" directory (no spaces in the name) at the TOP level of your C: drive, i.e. C:\CoffeeRoastingDB. Can I ask where are you expanding the CoffeeRoasting_2_1.zip file, please? Could you have mis-spelt the name of the directory?

(Put everything in the Zip file into the CoffeeRoastingDB directory for a first install. For upgrades you can use only the CoffeeRoasting.mdb file but you DO need the CoffeeRoasting_be.mdb file as well for a first install.)

If you open up Microsoft Access by itself, there should be an item "About Microsoft Access" on the Help menu. For Access XP (which I use), this will say Microsoft Access 2002. For MS Access 2000, I guess it would say Access 2000. According to the home page (see link in previous post), it has to be Access 2000 or later. I would still like to see you opening the CRDB without seeng the "missing file" error message before we worry about the version of Access though.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby michel » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:36 pm

Thanks again Hugh,
But still, it does not work. I'm sure now I use access 2000, and I'm also sure both the files are put into the: C:CoffeeRoastingDB
And if I was not agitated enough... suddenly frontpage blocked, and Webb! pro-extended edition (I use it for my webpages) blocked... I had to install these programs again... and I suspect the coffeeroasting stuff to have something to do with it.
As I have been on it for 3 hours now, I really don't like this program that much anymore. On the other hand, I think I'm to stupid to install it properly... or there are some settings on my machine set in such a way that they do not support the roastingprogram.

I let it go for now and will pick it up on a moment when I'm not angry anymore... thats better, I think.
(On the other hand it was better if the program could be downloaded unpacked and self-installing... Just for Dumbo's like me!)

Besides all, thanks a lot Hugh for your effort and time on this issue... and if you have any other clues/ideas I really would like to hear them from you.

Michel
michel

Postby HughF » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:27 pm

michel wrote:Thanks again Hugh,
But still, it does not work. I'm sure now I use access 2000, and I'm also sure both the files are put into the: C:CoffeeRoastingDB
And if I was not agitated enough... suddenly frontpage blocked, and Webb! pro-extended edition (I use it for my webpages) blocked... I had to install these programs again... and I suspect the coffeeroasting stuff to have something to do with it.

Thanks for the kind words. No ideas so far, sorry. I am really surprised that you are still having grief with all the applications .mdb files installed in the correct directory. I'm also very puzzled that other applications are suddenly misbehaving. It's always possible that your Access installation was already funny or there were other problems and the CRDB problems are symptoms rather than the root causes.

When it does not work, does it give any error messages now?

What version of Windows are you using?

If you run Windows 2000 or XP, can you run the Event Log program and see if any errors in one of the three different Event (Error) Logs seem to relate to this? (Especially the Application Log.)

Cheers,

Hugh
HughF

Postby michel » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:59 pm

The anger was over...
I started new and fresh... well fresh, I consumpted 3 whisky's (1 Laphroaig, 1 Lagavulin, and 1 Coal Ila...).
Then I changed some things, imported the CoffeeRoasting_be.mdb again in the CoffeeRaosting, C drive... and you know what: Halleluja! It is working.
I am seeing the interface I was expecting (how to work with it is the second question...but I think I can figure this out myselve...)...

I thank you on my knees Hugh, it was you who pulled the trigger and made me try once more... and with succes this time.
HALLELUJA, PRAISE HUGH!

No, really thanks,
I think roasting with this kind off divice is much easier trackable...(as I seem to forget: what was in my last roast, and how I roasted it... very easy...)

Thanks, Michel
michel

Postby HughF » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:56 pm

Careful, all that praise will go to my head... I'm glad it's working for you now, I think it's a good program and it's a pity you need MS Access to run it.

I've mentioned this before but the CRDB home page has a section on it called Basic Workflow which explains the occasionally odd way the program works - I would have been less puzzled if I had read it first.

Cheers,

Hugh
HughF

Return to Forum Feedback