Unread posts

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Unread posts

Postby Raf » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:28 pm

Is it possible that there's a bug in the "new posts since last visit"-feature, or is it I that's buggy? Sometimes I have no new posts, and then other times it gives "new posts" that I've already read. Any ideas, Phil?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:50 pm

I think that there's an issue with the code that updates the record of a user's last visit. This is probably related to the fact that Postnuke has no way of knowing that a session has disconnected. I've just checked my "last visit" timestamp in the database and it shows as about 13:30 today (it's now 22:50).

You may find that the record of your last session is accurate when you've posted, and otherwise not. Let me know if this theory fits. I may or may not try and fix the code, but if I can prove the bug description I may well post it on the support forum.

Cheers

Phil
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:45 pm

Okay, I've logged on a few times now without writing anything. It always showed your post as "new". I'll post this, try again later today and keep you informed.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:43 pm

Now it showed yours as read, and mine as unread. So it seems to be related to whether you post anything or not.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:29 pm

Yup, as I suspected. I'd checked the code before I came up with that idea. If this problem bothers you, the best short term fix is to logout and stop the site automatically logging you back in every time by unchecking the "remember me" (or whatever it's called) check box.

I'll give this a (little) bit of thought.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:21 am

Sounds like a great feature to me: Post each time you visit the forum! :)
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:43 pm

Strangely enough, it also seems to work if somebody else posts.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:44 pm

Hokay, did some research. Found the following which confirms both our findings :
Batpuppy wrote:Ok I "think" I know whats going on here and why it works for some and "seems" to not work for others. The way phpbb2 deletes expired sessions is that when a "registered user" starts a session in phpbb2, it checks to see if their are any expired sessions "for other users" and deletes them. Note that it deletes expired sessions for other users and not for the current user.
So in other words if you make a test forum and make one user and keep on logging in and out with that user, it will probably never delete the expired session for that user and keep using it over and over.
This part of the code was left functioning the same as it does in the standalone phpbb2. Rather this is really a good way to do this or not is another question but we are primarly adapting phpbb2 to work in postnuke as a module and to function much the same as it does as a standalone as far as the forum itself goes.

So the answer is we need more members (until the phpBB people update the code anyway!)
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:27 pm

I just got logged out. God knows why... After logging in again, all posts were marked read. Even the ones I hadn't read yet. Luckily I alwasy remember what was the last time/date I read messages.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:11 pm

Yup, I think the software just assumes you read everything last time you visited. It's a fairly simple approach. Having "read/unread" status by user for each message is a lot more complicated, even though in database terms it's a simple associative entity resolving the relevant many-many relationship.
phil
Founder Member

Return to Forum Feedback