Separate forum for grinders - Now a poll

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Do you want a grinder specific section on TMC?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:10 am

Yes, just a section for grinders.
38%
Yes, but for balance we will then need sections for other major equipment groups as well.
8%
No, because too many sections will fragment the TMC forum and risk spoiling the flow.
25%
I'm not bothered either way really.
29%

Total votes : 24

Separate forum for grinders - Now a poll

Postby Sarion » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi all,

I noticed that the board has several sections: Brewing, Beans & Roasting, General, Site Feedback. My suggestion is to add a Grinding coffee section. It's a logical category to have, and it would become easier for people to look up threads on grinders/grinding, especially new people.

What do you think?

All the best from Stormy Holland

Mod's Edit: Poll added to gauge opinion.
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

RE: Separate forum for grinders

Postby Chrisweaver » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:35 pm

yeh sounds good, i noticed they had one on coffeed which seemed successful!
Chrisweaver

RE: Separate forum for grinders

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:26 am

Stormy holland indeed, but it might be a good idea. I'm interested what Site Management thinks of it.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Puck » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:19 pm

This could be a good idea. The 38 Mazzers thread is very popular lately, but it's in the clubroom, so only visible to signed up TMC members. A dedicated forum may reach a wider audience.
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:06 pm

We don't have a specific area for any type of equipment, in the main because TMC is supposed to be bean-centric. Kit usually gets discussed in the relevant area for the brew method in question. However, if people want to have kit specific sections, I'm sure Phil will listen ..... though I'm not sure whether he will acquiesce.

Personally, I am very happy with the current arrangement, but have no strong objection to the proposed changes either if that is what the majority prefer, as long as they are consistently implemented for all major equipment types. That then brings a risk that we will have too many fragmented areas, which I think was one of the main reasons we didn't expand the number of areas in the past when this was suggested and is something that should be considered carefully.

I don't know how Dom feels :)

Edit: Was adding bits and cross-posted with Sarion - sorry :oops:
Last edited by CakeBoy on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Sarion » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:12 pm

In my opinion, the thing that's different about grinders is that you use them for all different types of brew method and beans. And many questions that arise on the board do in fact talk about kit. In that sense I feel it wouldn't be too illogical to have a seperate bit on the forum for grinders.
tell me I`m mad

Sarion

Postby phil » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:14 pm

Marie Antoinette's pal wrote:I'm sure Phil will listen ..... though I'm not sure whether he will acquiesce.

Jeez, you make me sound a right tartar :roll:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Saucy ..... ;) :P :lol:

We sound like a Carry On film! I was referring to the conversations that have taken place before where you expressed concern that too many areas might fragment the conversation and make getting around the site more of a bind. I tend to agree that less is more in terms of 'rooms' generally :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 pm

It's just not very clear where 'equipment' talk should occur other than for espresso or roasting. Sarion's point is quite valid in that some grinders can grind for all brewing methods and others, well, less so.

Agreed that less is sometimes more... but the question is: is less adequate right now? I also think the extra 'grinder' room makes sense and would contribute to less fragmentation rather than creating more. Furthermore, we constantly stress the importance of the grinder above all other equipment, seems logical then to dedicate a room for 'grinder' talk. I'm prolly just not seeing your point of view on how this would create greater fragmentation... please enlighten me :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby JulieJayne » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Great idea, after beans themselves, grinders have to be the most important item in producing a good cup of coffee irrespective of set method. And there are so many different grinders, to have all the information in one place would be great.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby BazBean » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Whats the first question we + (Aadje) allways ask?
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Puck » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:23 pm

Newcomers will be asking: "Got a descent grinder forum yet?" :D
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby Bombcup » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:36 pm

I quite like just stumbling across grinder posts in whichever forum is the most relevent for the particular question, I think it gives it more of a context. Looking at grinder forums on other sites is a little dull IMO.
Bombcup

Postby Sarion » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:48 am

Hi everyone,

How can we move to a decision on this? It seems to be a silent 'no', but perhaps the idea has just slipped into the background again.

All the best
tell me I`m mad

Sarion

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:06 am

Sorry Sarion, it has just 'slipped behind the sofa' rather than been ignored per se. How about we turn this into a poll to gauge general opinion? I don't know if Phil has any firm view on it but I'm sure he would be keen to know what people think.

The poll is open for 14 days as of now.

I'm voting option three because I'm really worried about fragmentation of the forum and loss of flow. For instance, I think that we will end up with the bulk of the espresso conversation being split up over two new sections (espresso machines and grinders) with the old espresso section being largely unused except for perhaps the odd chat about method. I think we will end up having to go into three sections to access what is currently contained in one. TMC could end up feeling like a regimented, tight section specific forum rather than the relaxed, not too topic rigid meeting place that we enjoy and love :)
Last edited by CakeBoy on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Forum Feedback