Separate forum for grinders - Now a poll

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Do you want a grinder specific section on TMC?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:10 am

Yes, just a section for grinders.
38%
Yes, but for balance we will then need sections for other major equipment groups as well.
8%
No, because too many sections will fragment the TMC forum and risk spoiling the flow.
25%
I'm not bothered either way really.
29%

Total votes : 24

Postby Sarion » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:14 am

It's a tie so far, Cakey! :-) I'm for a Grinding section, and also for an equipment subsection under the main sections. But I`d be happy with a separate Grinding section either way!
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Postby Puck » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Well, I voted for option 1. This is because, whilst I fully agree with Cakey about fragmentation, I also feel that the grinder is the single most important weapon in the coffee-making armoury, and therefore deserves an exception to the less-is-more style of the forum and should have its own dedicated section.
In any future poll for other new sections, I will be voting no.
Just my two pen’th. :)
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby Beanie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:14 am

#1 for me as well.

CakeBoy wrote:I'm voting option three because I'm really worried about fragmentation of the forum and loss of flow. For instance, I think that we will end up with the bulk of the espresso conversation being split up over two new sections (espresso machines and grinders) with the old espresso section being largely unused except for perhaps the odd chat about method. I think we will end up having to go into three sections to access what is currently contained in one. TMC could end up feeling like a regimented, tight section specific forum rather than the relaxed, not too topic rigid meeting place that we enjoy and love :)
To minimise this, do you think a sub-heading to the "Grinder" section such as "Equipment: tech specs, modifications and pimping" would help?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby bruceb » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:41 am

I don't really care either way, but there is one advantage to having just a grinder section; it will make it evident to newcomers and espresso novices that the grinder really is as important as we know it is. Fragmentation is, to me, like clumping. If it's an issue for you then you will have to figure it out.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Sarion » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:57 am

Personally, I like to see what's happening on the forum by using the "new posts" button. I don`t really keep track of what section the posts are in. However, when I do want to look something up, I sometimes browse the sections. That's where a grinding section would come in handy. Also, I agree with Bruce's comment above, it would make things easier for newcomers.
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Postby Aadje » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:35 am

Although I allways ask, I voted for no separate forum. I think that too many sections will fragment the TMC forum and risk spoiling the flow. People'll find out what they need to know anyhow, and the way it is now gives way better conversation imho.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Bombcup » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:06 pm

No for me, look at H-B's grinder section, boring, boring, dull, yawn, boring!
Bombcup

Postby lukas » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't really care. But to emphasize the focus on the coffee we could reorder the forum start page to have 'beans, blending and cupping' at the first place, and then the rest :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Good stuff guys, keep it coming :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby SlowRain » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:40 am

Since grinding is such an important part of the coffee-making process, and something that must be done with absolutely every brewing method, I think a separate forum is a good idea. It's the common element--that, and roasting, for which there is already a separate forum.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Previous

Return to Forum Feedback